Champion I

May 31, 2020
Allegan, MI, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Heckman
Member #

I'm going to start posting our articles on the topics and sections here, but expect to find the full PDF here soon as well.
“What can Ford do with this data? According to this policy, Ford can “provide this info to law enforcement, government authorities, and third parties acting with lawful authority or through a legal process.” This ranges from the operating state of the vehicle –– which may include fuel level and tire pressure –– to things like seatbelt status, wheel speed, acceleration, deceleration, and more.”

This would cover Fords butt if there was a roll over caused by low tire pressure or something caused by operator error.

Advocate III

Jul 7, 2020
Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

“What can Ford do with this data? According to this policy, Ford can “provide this info to law enforcement, government authorities, and third parties acting with lawful authority or through a legal process.” This ranges from the operating state of the vehicle –– which may include fuel level and tire pressure –– to things like seatbelt status, wheel speed, acceleration, deceleration, and more.”

This would cover Fords butt if there was a roll over caused by low tire pressure or something caused by operator error.
If you think about the Tiger Woods crash, this is something that is becoming more and more prevalent in crash investigations/reconstructions. I was rear-ended by a camry a few years ago at a red light by an impaired driver. The "black Box" in the car showed that the vehicle was not braking at the time of the crash. It should still needs to go through the warrant/subpoena process though.

Shadowblade

Rank VI

Champion I

Jun 26, 2020
Columbia, MD, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Peeler
Member #

If you think about the Tiger Woods crash, this is something that is becoming more and more prevalent in crash investigations/reconstructions. I was rear-ended by a camry a few years ago at a red light by an impaired driver. The "black Box" in the car showed that the vehicle was not braking at the time of the crash. It should still needs to go through the warrant/subpoena process though.
As someone that works with law enforcement to design and develop the tools to extract and do forensics on these type incidents. Yes, we have to have a warrant/subpoena. This data is really helpful. But it’s not just the car that can tell us things. Other electronics in the vehicle can too. Information is a powerful thing. I’m glad they have it for when it’s needed. I just hope they protect it properly, because if not... We all know what happened to the pipelines a few weeks ago...

TK1215

Rank VI

Champion I

Jan 1, 2021
Maricopa, AZ
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Kiely
Member #

I have gotten warrants for this very information and the courts really make you jump through hoops. The information and the process to get it is really interesting. We utilized the California Highway Patrol MAIT team. master mechanics, a pleasure to watch them work

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

They will use the data to deny warranty claims. Have to find it and disable it.

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

Had to take my 18 edge in for AC service. It had taken a crap. No issues with warranty
Cadillac had a famous case in FLA in the 80s it recorded speed and duration of speed over 85 mph. Woman brought the car in for some problem and they said she voided the warranty.
I want a Bronco to get away from the spies not add more.

TK1215

Rank VI

Champion I

Jan 1, 2021
Maricopa, AZ
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Kiely
Member #

Cadillac had a famous case in FLA in the 80s it recorded speed and duration of speed over 85 mph. Woman brought the car in for some problem and they said she voided the warranty.
I want a Bronco to get away from the spies not add more.
They will void your warranty for driving too slow!