Revisiting the Modular Hard Top Design

Laura
Sep 21, 2022
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Sep 21, 2022

PXL_20220920_122917117.jpg

In August, Ford released the line of Heritage Broncos and Sports –– and with it, an Oxford White Modular Hard Top.

Early Beginnings
This has excited the community. The Modular Hard Top has been in the picture since the Bronco launched on July 13, 2020. From the Day 1 announcement:

"Both Bronco two- and four-door models make the open-air experience quick, easy and fun.

Two-door models come with a standard three-section roof system – left and right front sections and a rear section – molded-in color and an available premium painted modular top with four sections that adds a removable panel over the rear seats and cargo area.

Four-door models have four removable roof sections – left and right front panels, a full-width center panel and a rear section.

All modular hardtops have rear quarter windows that are removable in three easy steps – snap, push and lift away in a fraction of the time it takes for competitors – without removing the roof panels."

The Modular Top's Design
With the MY23 order guide published this week and order banks opening tomorrow, we realized not everyone is familiar with all that makes this hard top different from the MIC top that people have on Broncos now. Let’s revisit some of the mod top’s design features we’ve seen so far.

READ THE ARTICLE
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
Marmot, Red Squatch
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2022

Rank V

Sep 21, 2022

thank you so much for this!!
Howdy, Laura
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Sep 21, 2022

Highlighting that we have requested confirmation of the Modular Hard Top’s production features from Ford plus the Shadow Black hard top and will report back. I know this doesn't answer all the questions.
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Rhiostatic, SlashRacer
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Sep 21, 2022

Also note, these are the factory roof rails pictured with a Yakima platform. I could not fully remove the hatch panel with the platform on top and had to wiggle the panel out of the way for the pics. The rails alone, which come on Heritage and Limited, would allow it to be removed.
Marmot, SlashRacer

Rank V

Sep 21, 2022

View attachment 44989

In August, Ford released the line of Heritage Broncos and Sports –– and with it, an Oxford White Modular Hard Top.

Early Beginnings
This has excited the community. The Modular Hard Top has been in the picture since the Bronco launched on July 13, 2020. From the Day 1 announcement:

"Both Bronco two- and four-door models make the open-air experience quick, easy and fun.

Two-door models come with a standard three-section roof system – left and right front sections and a rear section – molded-in color and an available premium painted modular top with four sections that adds a removable panel over the rear seats and cargo area.

Four-door models have four removable roof sections – left and right front panels, a full-width center panel and a rear section.

All modular hardtops have rear quarter windows that are removable in three easy steps – snap, push and lift away in a fraction of the time it takes for competitors – without removing the roof panels."

The Modular Top's Design
With the MY23 order guide published this week and order banks opening tomorrow, we realized not everyone is familiar with all that makes this hard top different from the MIC top that people have on Broncos now. Let’s revisit some of the mod top’s design features we’ve seen so far.

READ THE ARTICLE
When I saw the description, I went, "I have to revisit this horrible memory?".

In all honesty it isn't that horrible. Now I get Fox shocks.
SlashRacer
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Sep 21, 2022

When I saw the description, I went, "I have to revisit this horrible memory?".

In all honesty it isn't that horrible. Now I get Fox shocks.
I'd take the shocks over the top, honestly.
This Bronco wasn't plated to be driven, but I was curious what the wind effect is like if you had the front panels off + the hatch, or just the hatch, or if the glass was removed in any combination of those (on this one, with tube doors though, none of that would have been "true" anyway). I don't think I'll carry more than one passenger often, so unless the feeling was great, I don't think I would benefit much from/enjoy a panel removed behind me.

The concept is cool, but after reading about enough people dropping doors, I'd be scared about dropping the glass (37" wide and 14.75" tall). I am glad it was never truly an option for me, and I am happy with my MIC top –– functions fine and it looks good with an Oxford White body.
BuckYeah, SlashRacer

Rank V

Sep 21, 2022

I'd take the shocks ovrr the top, honestly.

Oh yeah! So stoked about it.
Laura

Rank V

Sep 21, 2022

Pretty cool for the passengers in a 2-door Bronco.
Laura

Rank V

Sep 21, 2022

Love it!,, but now must play the wait in line and try to reservation game and order when sometime it is allowed game, but will try valiantly