Upfitter Switches

Afoxy21
Nov 27, 2021

Rank III

Nov 27, 2021

So I’m not sure if I posted this to the right thread. If anyone has installed anything to the upfitter switches, I have a few questions. Are you able to move the fuse sizes around? I’m kinda OCD about things and I’d like to add lights. The lights I wanna add range in amp draw from 5 to 15 amps. I know switches 4-6 are 5A fused and 1 is 25A, 2 is 15A and 3 is 10A. Long question short, can I move the fuses around so I can wire want I want to switches 1, 2, and 3 simply by moving fuses around?
MrMRPhoto
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2021

Rank XXXXXXVVVVVIIII

Nov 27, 2021

So I’m not sure if I posted this to the right thread. If anyone has installed anything to the upfitter switches, I have a few questions. Are you able to move the fuse sizes around? I’m kinda OCD about things and I’d like to add lights. The lights I wanna add range in amp draw from 5 to 15 amps. I know switches 4-6 are 5A fused and 1 is 25A, 2 is 15A and 3 is 10A. Long question short, can I move the fuses around so I can wire want I want to switches 1, 2, and 3 simply by moving fuses around?
No they are fused to protect the wire more amps needs heavier gauge wire
Deano Bronc, Rgwinn

Burrito Connoisseur

Nov 27, 2021

@Cornwelltoolman is correct... the wire gauges are different, so you have to be aware of that.

I'm also not sure where you are getting your circuit ratings from. The wiring for both Aux 1 and Aux 2 are rated for 30 amps. Aux 1 is indeed fused for 30 amps, however, Aux 2 is only fused for 15 amps from the factory. Aux 3/4/5/6 are rated for and fused for 10 amps.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Tahotrvlr, bobraz

Libations MOD

Nov 27, 2021

3-6 are all 10 amps but I guess if you got in there and switched up all the wiring you cuold. Just simply a little money for someone to do it
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Rgwinn

Rank VI

Nov 28, 2021

This is what was originally shared, guess a quick visual check to the distribution box would help. And, now I’m curious if the wire is all the same gauge.
268A9681-978E-42C6-87D5-80E5217A3FA8.jpeg
Ordered: 4-Door First Edition - Rapid Red - Black Seats - MIC Top - Build Date: 10/25
In Garage: ‘62 Red Vette - ‘07 Black Shelby Ragtop - ‘21 F150 Platinum PowerBoost - Rapid Red
Broncofly, RagnarKon

Burrito Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2021

This is what was originally shared, guess a quick visual check to the distribution box would help. And, now I’m curious if the wire is all the same gauge.
View attachment 22619
Ahhhhhhhh.... that explains why @Afoxy21 had different ratings. Okay it all makes sense now.

It seems like the production version is different. From the user manual and the installation guide. Also... the wire gauges are listed in the chart.
  • 1.5 mm^2 = 16 AWG
  • 0.75 mm^2 = 18 AWG

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 20.44.10.png
Broncofly, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Nov 28, 2021

Ok, I went out and snapped a photo of my fuse box, and the manual, this is what it looks like ;
1832464C-24A9-4C6F-ABDF-3BD40552E409.jpeg
Ordered: 4-Door First Edition - Rapid Red - Black Seats - MIC Top - Build Date: 10/25
In Garage: ‘62 Red Vette - ‘07 Black Shelby Ragtop - ‘21 F150 Platinum PowerBoost - Rapid Red

Rank III

Nov 28, 2021

View attachment 22619

This is the sheet I was basing fuse size off of. I was curious of the same thing if the circuit wire is all the same size, is the wire that comes from the switches?
Rgwinn

Burrito Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2021

This is the sheet I was basing fuse size off of. I was curious of the same thing if the circuit wire is all the same size, is the wire that comes from the switches?
So the live circuits to the Aux switches all have cabling that is appropriate for the fuses they are wired to. Each of those circuits terminate in the engine bay on the driver side. It'll be either 16 gauge for Aux 1/2, or 18 gauge for Aux 3/4/5/6.

Then there are a bunch of unconnected cables run to various parts of the vehicle:
  • Engine bay to the front bumper (obviously intended for bumper pod lights)
  • 2x Engine bay to the glove box
  • Glove box to the cargo area of the vehicle (probably intended powering something like a portal electric cooler/freezer)
  • Glove box to the top of the wind shield (obviously intended for a light bar)
All of those cables are 16 gauge wire, which effectively means any one of those cable runs is appropriate for the Aux 1 switch (which is a 30 amp circuit). To connect it, you'd take one of the Aux switches and connect it to one of the unconnected cables in the engine bay. Obviously there is only three unconnected cables in the engine bay, so with the wiring Ford gives you, you only have enough cabling to connect three of the Aux switches. The rest you'll have to run your own cabling for unless the remaining three circuits will all be used within/around the engine bay.
TK1215, Deano Bronc

Rank XXXXXXVVVVVIIII

Nov 28, 2021

So the live circuits to the Aux switches all have cabling that is appropriate for the fuses they are wired to. Each of those circuits terminate in the engine bay on the driver side. It'll be either 16 gauge for Aux 1/2, or 18 gauge for Aux 3/4/5/6.

Then there are a bunch of unconnected cables run to various parts of the vehicle:
  • Engine bay to the front bumper (obviously intended for bumper pod lights)
  • 2x Engine bay to the glove box
  • Glove box to the cargo area of the vehicle (probably intended powering something like a portal electric cooler/freezer)
  • Glove box to the top of the wind shield (obviously intended for a light bar)
All of those cables are 16 gauge wire, which effectively means any one of those cable runs is appropriate for the Aux 1 switch (which is a 30 amp circuit). To connect it, you'd take one of the Aux switches and connect it to one of the unconnected cables in the engine bay. Obviously there is only three unconnected cables in the engine bay, so with the wiring Ford gives you, you only have enough cabling to connect three of the Aux switches. The rest you'll have to run your own cabling for unless the remaining three circuits will all be used within/around the engine bay.
great explanation

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Dec 14, 2021

View attachment 22619

So for my Diode Fogs and the pod my friend got me, 1/2/3?
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics

Burrito Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2021

So for my Diode Fogs and the pod my friend got me, 1/2/3?
Depends. You want them on three independent switches or all on the same switch? Or do you want the fogs on one switch and the pod on another?
Speed Devil

Dec 14, 2021

Depends. You want them on three independent switches or all on the same switch? Or do you want the fogs on one switch and the pod on another?

Really be nice to put the whole set on one and then the pods on another (and my cat loves his new perch apparently)

how blinding would it be? Max/Max/Pro
7190D1D1-97AB-41FC-BF8B-62108C23F766.jpeg86AC0326-C7B9-43C2-BA0D-E49FEAD716A9.jpegBA765DCB-EA88-4293-B11E-1ED3F7FCE6BB.jpeg
Sdakotabronco, CliffCo

Burrito Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2021

Really be nice to put the whole set on one and then the pods on another (and my cat loves his new perch apparently)

how blinding would it be? Max/Max/Pro
View attachment 23746View attachment 23747View attachment 23748
Without knowing your familiarity with electrical circuits it’s kind of hard to know how much detail you need. So if I say too little or maybe too much feel free to yell at me or ask follow-up questions.

So you’ll need to figure out the power draw of the lights first. There should be a spec sheet that lists the power draw in watts, or current draw in amps.

More likely than not, the lights will consume well under 10 amps (can’t see what the model numbers are from the pictures, so unable to look it up myself). If that’s true, it makes sense to hook it up to 3/4/5/6 and save 1 and 2 for something that uses more power.

There are a few different ways to do it, but here is an option.
  • Hook the Switch 3 wire in the engine bay (drivers side near the windshield by the fuse box), to the unconnected wire that runs between the fuse box area and the front grille. The hook the two fog lights in series to that (now connected) unconnected wire.
  • Run a new set of 18 AWG wires to wherever the pod lights will be installed. Connect those in series to the Switch 4 wire in the engine bay.
Bschurr, Speed Devil

Dec 15, 2021

Without knowing your familiarity with electrical circuits it’s kind of hard to know how much detail you need. So if I say too little or maybe too much feel free to yell at me or ask follow-up questions.

So you’ll need to figure out the power draw of the lights first. There should be a spec sheet that lists the power draw in watts, or current draw in amps.

More likely than not, the lights will consume well under 10 amps (can’t see what the model numbers are from the pictures, so unable to look it up myself). If that’s true, it makes sense to hook it up to 3/4/5/6 and save 1 and 2 for something that uses more power.

• Hook the Switch 3 wire in the engine bay (drivers side near the windshield by the fuse box), to the unconnected wire that runs between the fuse box area and the front grille. The hook the two fog lights in series to that (now connected) unconnected wire.
  • Run a new set of 18 AWG wires to wherever the pod lights will be installed. Connect those in series to the Switch 4 wire in the engine bay.

Leaving it to my Brother In Law's brother, he does lighting for Cop Cars

No Ragerts

Dec 15, 2021

Excellent plan and although @Speed Devil requested a single circuit for all 3 pair of lights, personally, I would install them on 3 separate aux switches since they can easily be combined later if additional switches are needed. I think it would be nice to have individual control of each pair - but, that’s just me.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Speed Devil

Dec 15, 2021

Excellent plan and although @Speed Devil requested a single circuit for all 3 pair of lights, personally, I would install them on 3 separate aux switches since they can easily be combined later if additional switches are needed. I think it would be nice to have individual control of each pair - but, that’s just me.

If anything, do the Fogs on one and the other 2 on 2, then the pods on 3
Bschurr

Rank IV

Feb 26, 2022

Hoping for a little help if possible regarding the aux switches and wiring. Apologize in advance if this simple as all new to myself.

I purchased a light bar and the fuse that is in the wiring harness with light bar is 30 A.

Am I able to cut the wiring harness before the fuse and connect that power wire into the Aux 1 25 A or is this light bar or am I pretty much out of luck to use this light bar with the Aux switches?

Also the light bar I have comes with a switch built into the relay. How do I bi pass this switch just cut the 2 power wires going into the switch and connect together?

Thanks in advance for any insight

No Ragerts

Feb 27, 2022

Hoping for a little help if possible regarding the aux switches and wiring. Apologize in advance if this simple as all new to myself.

I purchased a light bar and the fuse that is in the wiring harness with light bar is 30 A.

Am I able to cut the wiring harness before the fuse and connect that power wire into the Aux 1 25 A or is this light bar or am I pretty much out of luck to use this light bar with the Aux switches?

Also the light bar I have comes with a switch built into the relay. How do I bi pass this switch just cut the 2 power wires going into the switch and connect together?

Thanks in advance for any insight
Likely you can simply snip the fused wire and connect it directly to Aux 1 but confirm the amperage draw of the light bar to ensure it is under 30 amps (the rating for Aux 1) first - once confirmed, you are good to go!

If the statement above is true, as for bypassing the switch, just cut the positive wire before the switch since the switching function will be handed by the Aux 1 switch inside the vehicle. You only need 2 wires + & - so cut off the relay (along with the switch since neither are needed). positive wire gets attached to the yellow wire that corresponds to Aux 1 and the negative wore to a suitable ground (possibly even the battery if desired).
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)