How do you plan on keeping your belongings secure?

j_4260
Jan 07, 2022

Rank 0

Jan 07, 2022

If the last few years have proven anything, it doesn't take much for thieves to think you have something valuable in your car.

I carry around a laptop(s), phone, and other electronics pretty often for work, making stops to/from my destinations (gym, grocery store, etc...). Carrying the laptop in with me isn't a problem but sometimes I'd rather just leave it in the car.

I've got a 4 door on the way (with soft top) and was thinking about this problem. I've had a lot of coworkers and friends who've dealt with smash and grabs (my SUV was also broken into a few months ago because I left a cookbook on the passenger floor).

I've seen the drawers and floors folks use but that seems to eat up a lot of space (when not in use). Would it be possible to securely mount something like a Pelican case to the floor or tailgate of the Bronco?

Would love to hear ideas and feedback!
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 07, 2022

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Jan 12, 2022

I just carry a backpack if its anything of value and take it with me, also plan on leaving it topless and doorless only in areas I know shits not gonna happen, otherwise take a few minutes to put the top up.

Don't leave anything valuable in it in certain areas and move outta cali asap
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
hkbooner, Bschurr

Rank VI

Jan 12, 2022

Speed Devil is spot on. You could also look at Tuffy Security Products to see if they have something that works for you. They've been supplying the Jeep community with lock boxes for years (decades).
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
BroncOitis, Hobgoblin

Rank III

Jan 12, 2022

If the last few years have proven anything, it doesn't take much for thieves to think you have something valuable in your car.

I carry around a laptop(s), phone, and other electronics pretty often for work, making stops to/from my destinations (gym, grocery store, etc...). Carrying the laptop in with me isn't a problem but sometimes I'd rather just leave it in the car.

I've got a 4 door on the way (with soft top) and was thinking about this problem. I've had a lot of coworkers and friends who've dealt with smash and grabs (my SUV was also broken into a few months ago because I left a cookbook on the passenger floor).

I've seen the drawers and floors folks use but that seems to eat up a lot of space (when not in use). Would it be possible to securely mount something like a Pelican case to the floor or tailgate of the Bronco?

I would not keep anything valuable in your vehicle , they will take it ....also depending where you live it could be worse.
BroncOitis, Speed Devil

Rank III

Jan 12, 2022

On my two door I‘m planning to remove the back seats, build a platform with storage underneath, then have two hinged access doors in the back that will be secured via locking boat storage latches. I’ll store recovery gear, tools, first aid and other gear in this area. For valuables in the front I think a back pack is the best idea.
Soupcook, BroncOitis

Rank V

Jan 12, 2022

On my two door I‘m planning to remove the back seats, build a platform with storage underneath, then have two hinged access doors in the back that will be secured via locking boat storage latches. I’ll store recovery gear, tools, first aid and other gear in this area. For valuables in the front I think a back pack is the best idea.
Look on 6G... I don't have a link to his post, but there was a guy on there who did exactly that. It was a red base 2-door. He built a plywood bottom and covered it in automotive style carpet. I'm planning on doing something similar (mine's a 2-door as well).
Deano Bronc, Oldhippie

Rank 0

Jan 12, 2022

I just carry a backpack if its anything of value and take it with me, also plan on leaving it topless and doorless only in areas I know shits not gonna happen, otherwise take a few minutes to put the top up.

Don't leave anything valuable in it in certain areas and move outta cali asap

Hah, I moved back to So. Cal a month ago, not going anywhere for a while. But yup, I'm used to the backpack game. Crime was nuts in the Bay area (where I was living for the last 6 years), I never leave anything valuable in my cars.

Crime isn't rampant as the news makes it seem but thieves aren't dumb and know a lot of people leave laptops and phones in their cars. They walk around with wifi/bluetooth scanners to see if there's anything in your trunk or backseat.
Speed Devil

That's a terrible idea, when do we start?

Jan 12, 2022

Ford makes a center console vault if you want to lock up smaller items like your phone, etc. https://accessories.ford.com/products/bronco-2021-center-console-in-vehicle-safe-by-console-vault-1
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather
Mangelo, j_4260

Rank V

Jan 12, 2022

This is the age old question, and is why up until now, all my pop-top vehicles have been hard top, never had a Jeep or Bronco, but had a Del Sol and two Corvettes in the past. Had a buddy a few years back that travelled for work, left his Wrangler soft top parked at the airport - came back to find they had cut the top and got in. Luckily, he didn't have any valuables inside, BUT the thieves cut his top, and broke a bunch of the plastic on the dash and console trying to get in the locked console and glove box. He ended up having to replace the dash, console and soft top. His insurance deductible was $1,000, so he was out a grand just to fix his Jeep.

I will be getting my 2-door Bronco in Feb, and even though it is the hard top, I am looking at some type of bolt-down secured lock box in the rear. The Ford accessories ones, and the after-market ones I have seen thus far are rather pricey. Hoping more options come avail soon. Once I have the Bronco and can actually take measurements, I may see if I can fabricate something myself.

I park in the garage, and if I have the top off, it will only be while off-roading, car shows or cruising around with friends (to where I'm never more than 20 ft away from the vehicle at any time).

I think a Pelican case (depending on size) would work, or maybe source a company that builds gun safes. I have seen a few in the past that are made to mount under the seat in the F-series. Either option, I would definitely bolt it down in the rear (I know no-one wants to drill holes in the floor of a brand new truck, but unfortunately in these days, it's better to be safe than sorry).
RJames, j_4260

Rank III

Jan 12, 2022

Retired NYPD they will steal it all !!
Speed Devil

Jan 12, 2022

Hah, I moved back to So. Cal a month ago, not going anywhere for a while. But yup, I'm used to the backpack game. Crime was nuts in the Bay area (where I was living for the last 6 years), I never leave anything valuable in my cars.

Crime isn't rampant as the news makes it seem but thieves aren't dumb and know a lot of people leave laptops and phones in their cars. They walk around with wifi/bluetooth scanners to see if there's anything in your trunk or backseat.

San Diego So Cal? I loved it there, I hear that it's more sane and grounded than the other two cities.

Yeah, Slipknot and George Carlin were both right about people. If you don't need them in your car, leave them home, and if you do, take them with you. Even in my neighborhoods and old home town, always lock the doors, Idc how safe things are, it only needs to happen to you once to ruin your day
j_4260, Giuseppe

Rank III

Jan 12, 2022

San Diego So Cal? I loved it there, I hear that it's more sane and grounded than the other two cities.

Yeah, Slipknot and George Carlin were both right about people. If you don't need them in your car, leave them home, and if you do, take them with you. Even in my neighborhoods and old home town, always lock the doors, Idc how safe things are, it only needs to happen to you once to ruin your day
California !! You are done !! Put in house !! Gavin !! Joke !!
j_4260, Speed Devil

Jan 12, 2022

California !! You are done !! Put in house !! Gavin !! Joke !!

Hey, he stole that "recall" fair and square, give the mafia princess a break xD

Just remember, on 6g, you'd be permabanned like you wouldn't believe just for pointing out the obvious.
j_4260, Giuseppe

🗻🏔️🏜️38°33'14.1"N 109°32'04.7"W🏜️🏔️🗻

Jan 12, 2022

I would have to say, make something like a James Bond car where when they break in and open the door, that it just Explodes... :ROFLMAO:
In all seriousness, I have to agree with @Tilzbow and @LilMike73 building a metal deck that locks from the backside. I believe I saw something like this they sell on line somewhere.
*632* Days to get A 2021 - 2022 -
2023 Big Bend - 2 Door 2.3L Velocity Blue, Squatched, Mid package, Running Boards, Roof Rack, and Engine Block heater.
j_4260, Giuseppe

Standing Grumpy Face

Jan 12, 2022

Look on 6G... I don't have a link to his post, but there was a guy on there who did exactly that. It was a red base 2-door. He built a plywood bottom and covered it in automotive style carpet. I'm planning on doing something similar (mine's a 2-door as well).

This was an awesome mod. And fairly inexpensive. But not so secure. You would need a back to go against the rear seatbacks. Or if Ford would make the rear seats lockable like on the Jeep Gladiator.

[DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required.

I'll probably go with the Ford enclosure for the cargo area.

brcargo3_1.637_1.jpg
Justin Benson, j_4260

Rank V

Jan 12, 2022

Yep, retired EMT here - I am still on the local alert emails the PD sends out.... second to people posting lost dogs, the next biggest thing is car burglaries. We live in a semi-rural area east of Dallas, TX, not alot of major crime to speak of, but in the summers when all the teenagers are out of school, I see daily posts "my car was broken into/ ect ect..".

I know I'm stating the obvious, but park in the garage if you can, if not possible, make sure and lock your car, remove or hide any valuables in plain sight. I don't think there is any fool-proof system, as the old saying goes "locks keep honest people honest". So if they really want it, they're gonna get it. But if it's locked up/ valuables removed, this would mitigate the opportunistic teens that are out late at night trying door handles.
JoergH

Rank III

Jan 12, 2022

Animals !! DO NOT PUT ANTHING IN YOUR CAR !!!
j_4260

Rank III

Jan 12, 2022

Rank V

Jan 12, 2022

This was an awesome mod. And fairly inexpensive. But not so secure. You would need a back to go against the rear seatbacks. Or if Ford would make the rear seats lockable like on the Jeep Gladiator.

[DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required.

I'll probably go with the Ford enclosure for the cargo area.

View attachment 25860
Yeah, I was going to mount a plywood base to the floor, then install a second piece of plywood on top, mounted with drawer sliders. Then be able to bolt a safe or Pelican case to the second layer.
But, once I buy all that stuff, fabricate it (while also trying to make it look factory), I would probably end up spending just as much as buying the secured molle box.

I've got some time to think about it, as I wont have my Bronco until mid-Feb (hopefully), and I already have a garage full of parts to install, so that will keep me busy for a few weeks. Once I get mine and figure out what I'm going to do, I'll be sure to post some pics!
Deano Bronc, j_4260

Rank 0

Jan 12, 2022

This is the age old question, and is why up until now, all my pop-top vehicles have been hard top, never had a Jeep or Bronco, but had a Del Sol and two Corvettes in the past. Had a buddy a few years back that travelled for work, left his Wrangler soft top parked at the airport - came back to find they had cut the top and got in. Luckily, he didn't have any valuables inside, BUT the thieves cut his top, and broke a bunch of the plastic on the dash and console trying to get in the locked console and glove box. He ended up having to replace the dash, console and soft top. His insurance deductible was $1,000, so he was out a grand just to fix his Jeep.

I will be getting my 2-door Bronco in Feb, and even though it is the hard top, I am looking at some type of bolt-down secured lock box in the rear. The Ford accessories ones, and the after-market ones I have seen thus far are rather pricey. Hoping more options come avail soon. Once I have the Bronco and can actually take measurements, I may see if I can fabricate something myself.

I park in the garage, and if I have the top off, it will only be while off-roading, car shows or cruising around with friends (to where I'm never more than 20 ft away from the vehicle at any time).

I think a Pelican case (depending on size) would work, or maybe source a company that builds gun safes. I have seen a few in the past that are made to mount under the seat in the F-series. Either option, I would definitely bolt it down in the rear (I know no-one wants to drill holes in the floor of a brand new truck, but unfortunately in these days, it's better to be safe than sorry).

I changed my order to a soft-top recently - so I totally get your thinking. I already live with the fact that when I park my motorcycles, they may not be there when I get back.

Yeah, a gun drawer/safe box under the back seat may be a good option. I know Pelican cases are pretty secure but they're only hardened polymer and thieves probably carry around battery powered angled grinders at this point.

Yep, retired EMT here - I am still on the local alert emails the PD sends out.... second to people posting lost dogs, the next biggest thing is car burglaries. We live in a semi-rural area east of Dallas, TX, not alot of major crime to speak of, but in the summers when all the teenagers are out of school, I see daily posts "my car was broken into/ ect ect..".

I know I'm stating the obvious, but park in the garage if you can, if not possible, make sure and lock your car, remove or hide any valuables in plain sight. I don't think there is any fool-proof system, as the old saying goes "locks keep honest people honest". So if they really want it, they're gonna get it. But if it's locked up/ valuables removed, this would mitigate the opportunistic teens that are out late at night trying door handles.

+100. I had a firm requirement my new place has its own garage. I'm not dealing with that nonsense anymore.

I was days away from putting in an offer on a condo in SD! Then the whole COVID "back to office" yo-yo happened, I settled back here in LA.