Cargo area cover / Rear parcel shelf

Bschurr
Dec 25, 2021

No Ragerts

Dec 25, 2021

I created a cargo cover for the rear of my 4 door Bronco using a 2’ x 4’ piece of MDF that I covered in headliner fabric. I ordered some small D rings and a cargo net and once they arrive I will install on top so it can be used for extra storage. It’s a uper simple mod that will keep prying eyes out of the rear of my ride and should help from stuff flying out when the top is off too!

27199B98-9B7D-4B18-BDD8-D4B3092AFAF8.jpeg

Sorry - I am terrible at documenting my mods and didn’t take pics along the way but always happy to share my creations once complete.

Basically, I bought a piece of 2x4 MDF 1/2” thick from Lowes and 1 yard of headliner fabric from JoAnns. I used Gorilla Tape to wrap all the edges of the MDF to provide extra protection from dings/dents to the MDF and to make sure the shelf won’t scratch the interior plastic panels or rattle when installed. I covered the underside with black vinyl. I then applied 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to the top, edges and perimeter of the underside of the board and affixed the fabric. Be sure to overlap the sides for extra protection - I used my staple gun on the underside of the board for extra mechanical adhesion making sure to leave a 3” border to avoid any contact with interior panels.

You can cover the board in any suitable fabric, paint, vinyl or just leave it plain MDF - the size is perfect and requires no cutting. The shelf can be easily added or removed as needed but I plan to leave it installed full time
The board fits vertically behind the rear seats when not in use or when you need to use the full size of the area. I’ll add some pics once I install the cargo accessories on top so it can then be used for storage too!
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Chook, WildHorseJoe

Gladesmen

Dec 25, 2021

Nice hack. I will have to add something like this whenever mine gets here.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
the poacher, NiceBronco

Beers, Broncos, and Battlestar Galactica

Dec 25, 2021

That looks like a factory installed option! Well done, sir. Great idea!
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch • 2-Door • Velocity Blue • 2.7L V6 • 10-Speed • Lux • Various Mods...
"True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future." - SENECA
1Five1 Garage, Bschurr

Rank VI

Dec 25, 2021

That looks sweet, may have to try to do that to my 2 door when it arrives. Thanks for sharing.
the poacher, 1Five1 Garage

Rank V

Dec 26, 2021

Great idea. What does the cover rest on/how is it supported?

I created a cargo cover for the rear of my 4 door Bronco using a 2’ x 4’ piece of MDF that I covered in headliner fabric. I ordered some small D rings and a cargo net and once they arrive I will install on top so it can be used for extra storage. It’s a uper simple mod that will keep prying eyes out of the rear of my ride and should help from stuff flying out when the top is off too!

View attachment 24588

Sorry - I am terrible at documenting my mods and didn’t take pics along the way but always happy to share my creations once complete.

Basically, I bought a piece of 2x4 MDF 1/2” thick from Lowes and 1 yard of headliner fabric from JoAnns. I used Gorilla Tape to wrap all the edges of the MDF to provide extra protection from dings/dents to the MDF and to make sure the shelf won’t scratch the interior plastic panels or rattle when installed. I covered the underside with black vinyl. I then applied 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to the top, edges and perimeter of the underside of the board and affixed the fabric. Be sure to overlap the sides for extra protection - I used my staple gun on the underside of the board for extra mechanical adhesion making sure to leave a 3” border to avoid any contact with interior panels.

You can cover the board in any suitable fabric, paint, vinyl or just leave it plain MDF - the size is perfect and requires no cutting. The shelf can be easily added or removed as needed but I plan to leave it installed full time
The board fits vertically behind the rear seats when not in use or when you need to use the full size of the area. I’ll add some pics once I install the cargo accessories on top so it can then be used for storage too!
Ditchrunner

Rank III

Dec 26, 2021

That’s a good idea, and looks great!
Bschurr

No Ragerts

Dec 26, 2021

Great idea. What does the cover rest on/how is it supported?
Thank @ABFish
On each side of the rear cargo area there are built in storage areas so there is a natural “lip” created that the the board simply rests on.

Here’s a pic of the drivers side where the hard top prep is located showing the storage compartment. There is a similar one on the passenger side too. The board fits perfectly under the connectors and on top of the cubby and is held in place fore & aft by the seat backs & molded cubby respectively.

D90E34E8-688C-4EE7-B92D-FB14BBEE29BA.jpeg
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
rk105rider

No Ragerts

Dec 26, 2021

That looks sweet, may have to try to do that to my 2 door when it arrives. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks @byronpete21
I haven’t seen a 2 door so I cannot confirm that the setup is the same as my 4 door in the cargo area to accept the board but I sure hope so.
1Five1 Garage

Rank V

Dec 26, 2021

View attachment 24588

That is really clean looking. hmm... might have to steal... um borrow the idea...
Bronco Badlands, Bronco Black Diamond, Bronco Big Bend, & Bronco Sport Badlands
www.youtube.com/1five1garage
LilMike73, Bschurr

No Ragerts

Dec 26, 2021

That is really clean looking. hmm... might have to steal... um borrow the idea...
Please do & make one of your cool videos!

Since my Badlands has the MGV wash out interior, I was considering a washable covering for the shelf but my reality is that the cargo area will never require wash out and the back of the rear seats are carpet covered so I opted for a covering that matched the existing surfaces. Rubberized bed liner, neoprene or even a marine carpet all make suitable coverings so have some fun with it and make it your own.
Deano Bronc

Rank V

Dec 26, 2021

Very cool idea
Bschurr

Rank IV

Dec 26, 2021

Very cool and great idea, good job!
Bschurr

Rank I

Dec 26, 2021

That's sweet! Great job, thanks for posting. Will definitely be trying to add one in my 2-door when it arrives. Hopefully it fits.
Bschurr

No Ragerts

Dec 26, 2021

That's sweet! Great job, thanks for posting. Will definitely be trying to add one in my 2-door when it arrives. Hopefully it fits.
I don’t know for sure but, based on my limited observations of the 2 door, the cargo area is smaller so you may simply need to trim the board in order for it to fit.

Hopefully you have a short wait @FOMOYOLO

Rank V

Dec 26, 2021

Thank @ABFish
On each side of the rear cargo area there are built in storage areas so there is a natural “lip” created that the the board simply rests on.

Here’s a pic of the drivers side where the hard top prep is located showing the storage compartment. There is a similar one on the passenger side too. The board fits perfectly under the connectors and on top of the cubby and is held in place fore & aft by the seat backs & molded cubby respectively.

View attachment 24603

Ah…much appreciated. Going to do that with mine if it ever gets built/delivered and not hit with ADM! Haha
Bschurr

Rank III

Jan 10, 2022

I loved your idea but made a couple changes. I was worried about the mdf or osb warping if it got rained on and wanted it to look like it should be there. I went with 1/2 in sheating and for the covering, I used utility carpeting from Menards $0.49 a square foot. I covered the top and bottom with the carpet. Total cost with adhesive $35

Attachments

Deano Bronc, Bschurr

Rank V

Jan 10, 2022

Ok, possibly stupid question, what is MDF?

No Ragerts

Jan 10, 2022

Medium Density Fiberboard - it’s an engineered lumber product made from scraps & parts that are fused with resins under heat & pressure to create boards.

Rank VI

Jan 10, 2022

Medium-density fiberboard.
Essentially sawdust compressed with a binder, decently strong unless it gets wet.
22 Black Diamond 2dr non sas w tow and roof rails.
jakecovert

Rank V

Jan 10, 2022

Thanks!