How to get 400 watts in motion?

sportcoupe
Apr 23, 2023

John

Apr 23, 2023

The Bronco has a 400 watt inverter. It is rated at 400 watts only when in park. In gear, the output is reduced to 300 watts.

Is there a mod to bypass park and get 400 watts in motion out of the inverter?
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2023

Rank V

Apr 23, 2023

I don't know about it changing from 400 to 300 watts, but more importantly, by default the outlet shits down after 30 minutes when the Bronco is off. That can be overridden using forescan and I now have mine set for 6 hours. (I use it to power a small refrigerator/freezer from Iceco.
You can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into.

John

Apr 23, 2023

I don't know about it changing from 400 to 300 watts, but more importantly, by default the outlet shits down after 30 minutes when the Bronco is off. That can be overridden using forescan and I now have mine set for 6 hours. (I use it to power a small refrigerator/freezer from Iceco.

I don't care that it turns off when engine is off. I want to disable the reduced output when driving.

It is most certainly a ground wire when in park and maybe a speed input that must be changed at the inverter.

Toyota's have a pigtail harness that does the wiring change for 400 watts in motion. I assumed that Bronco is similar being so popular.

https://www.ktjo4x4.com/products/in-cab-power-outlet-package

John

Jun 02, 2023

Does anyone have the wire diagram for the 120V power outlet? Specifically the factory inverter and it's location. It would be as simple as grounding the park wire input.
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Jun 02, 2023

This isn't ALLDATA level but there is an upfitter guide with some wiring diagrams.

https://thebronconation.com/ford-installation-guide-takes-the-guesswork-out-of-upfitting/
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s

Trying To Get Lost

Jun 02, 2023

I'm guessing that downgrade is to protect the alternator when the ignition system is demanding full load. It's only a 250A alternator, so once you add the inverter and additional accessories, you can really start to load it up. I'm not sure what would be required in order to install a higher output alternator and what it would do to the electrical system if it was upgraded. Modern Ford electrical systems are VERY sensitive to voltage and amperage changes.

John

Jun 02, 2023

I'm guessing that downgrade is to protect the alternator when the ignition system is demanding full load. It's only a 250A alternator, so once you add the inverter and additional accessories, you can really start to load it up. I'm not sure what would be required in order to install a higher output alternator and what it would do to the electrical system if it was upgraded. Modern Ford electrical systems are VERY sensitive to voltage and amperage changes.

We are only talking ~7 amps alternator load difference between 300 watts and 400 watts inverter output. Many folks run more that that with added lights.

John

Jun 02, 2023

This isn't ALLDATA level but there is an upfitter guide with some wiring diagrams.

https://thebronconation.com/ford-installation-guide-takes-the-guesswork-out-of-upfitting/
Thanks, saved for later. I didn't see anything for the factory inverter.
Laura