Your Name Sake

BroncoTerry
Feb 28, 2021

Rank V

Feb 28, 2021

Big Bend National Park in Texas: https://www.bing.com/travelguide?q=...5d935-4e34-9b98-ef63-30eb056aee0a&form=PLACAB

About 1, 200 square miles of beautiful park land. There are off road trails too! Be easy on them and don't tare them up. This park borders Mexico and you can wade over the Rio (about knee deep) if you so desire. There is a gas station by the campground and a small store. I haven't been there for 15 to 20 years but I'm sure it is still a fantastic place. Check it out you Big Bend people.
4 Door Badlands: Carbonized Gray, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Towing Package, 35" Tires ETC
Bronc96, Jakob1972
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2021

Rank V

Feb 28, 2021

One other thing. Don't plan on a day trip. You will miss so much. Take 3 or 4 days.
4 Door Badlands: Carbonized Gray, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Towing Package, 35" Tires ETC
Bronc96, Jakob1972

Rank VI

Feb 28, 2021

I just watched a documentary on Netflix on Big Bend. I never heard of the park before...it is on my bucket list now.
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches
Bronc96, Jakob1972

Rank VI

Mar 01, 2021

I just watched a documentary on Netflix on Big Bend. I never heard of the park before...it is on my bucket list now.

What’s the name of the movie?
Commodore

Rank VI

Mar 01, 2021

What’s the name of the movie?
Great question...I had to go back and figure it out. It was a show on PBS Nature called "Big Bend: The Wild Frontier of Texas". I watch Netflex almost exclusively and rarely watch PBS. Thanks for allowing me to correct this.
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches
Commodore

Rank V

Mar 01, 2021

They have an animal down there called a Javalena (SP?). It looks like a pig, sounds like a pig and smells like a pig. But, it isn't a pig! I see HAM when I see one of them! Don't mess with them.
Commodore, Steve777468

Rank III

Mar 01, 2021

Not Big Bend trim or even Big Bend, TX, but regarding name sakes, I think it’s pretty cool that I settled on OB and my family going back to pre-Columbus, literally, are all from and still live around the Outer Banks area, both mom and dad’s sides. We are the descendants of the Croatan tribe, also known as the Indians that disappeared the Lost Colony (oops), and I spent much of my undergraduate and graduate studies researching all of this fascinating (to me) history. But it had nothing to do with me picking the trim, at least not consciously, I think.
Commodore, Steve777468

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Mar 01, 2021

They have an animal down there called a Javalena (SP?). It looks like a pig, sounds like a pig and smells like a pig. But, it isn't a pig! I see HAM when I see one of them! Don't mess with them.
If it looks like a duck...
Commodore, Steve777468

Mar 01, 2021

We have a LOT of javelina in AZ. and you are right - they are not from the swine family although the closely resemble them... They give off that foul odor as a protection mechanism. Thus a local name of "stink pig" for them. They can be eaten BUT only if one knows how to clean one. Immediately the scent glands need to be dealt with or your meat will be tainted. I've had javelina slow-cooked in a crock pot and enjoyed them as the filling on tacos. (hunted and cooked by someone that's been doing for over 50 years...) IF you weren't told that it is javelina, you'd swear it's pork. OK, but here's the thing that messes with your mind... they are more closely related to the rat family!! Eat up, fella's... :cool:
Commodore, Steve777468

Gladesmen

Mar 01, 2021

I so badly wanted to get a Big Bend. Because It is an amazing place and one of the only places you can find bear in Texas. I guess I will have to live with taking my Badlands to Big Bend. One day I will take it to The Badlands, then the OBX, then to some Black Diamonds, and I’ll Wildtrack it the whole way.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Commodore, Soupcook

Rank VI

Mar 01, 2021

My family loves the OBX and I hope to retire there so I really wanted to go OBX just because but the no manual issue is a deal breaker. So I will be beach riding my BL up in Corolla and 4x4. :cool:
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Commodore, Steve777468

Rank IV

Mar 03, 2021

I also just recently watched the Big Bend documentary. I thought the narrator's voice would have made a great Ford commercial.
Commodore

Home, home on the range

Mar 03, 2021

Not Big Bend trim or even Big Bend, TX, but regarding name sakes, I think it’s pretty cool that I settled on OB and my family going back to pre-Columbus, literally, are all from and still live around the Outer Banks area, both mom and dad’s sides. We are the descendants of the Croatan tribe, also known as the Indians that disappeared the Lost Colony (oops), and I spent much of my undergraduate and graduate studies researching all of this fascinating (to me) history. But it had nothing to do with me picking the trim, at least not consciously, I think.

Agree very fascinating history. Wish I knew as much about mine. We have some Genealogy that was done but your ancestors and what happened was documented and continues to be a mystery
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
Commodore, Midnight Blue