Yakima Roof Top Accessories.

BuzzyBud
Dec 05, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 05, 2020

By now many of us are researching accessories for when the B&P is re-released. For me, I am looking at Yakima LoadNLoad and their roof rack accessories.
I will admit to being slightly puzzled by the pre-production Broncos with roof racks. For example, look at the following three vehicles.

The 2-door bronco appears to use the Yakima LockNLoad and the Timberline System attached to the side rails.
Bronco 2 door 1.jpg

The Overlanding Bronco appears to use the crossbar clamps as part of the SkyRise HD Small.
Overlanding Bronco 2.jpg

The Bronco Sport appears to use the Yakima LockNLoad and the Timberline Towers, set of four.
Bronco Sport 1.jpg

For me, this assortment of choices seems puzzling. Were there specific reasons for choosing each? Are there weight limits pertaining to the roof rails which are separate from limitations pertaining to the crossbars? Is the overall GVWR factored into the choices?

Clearly, my favorite among these three was the rack and attachments used in the Bronco Sport. Will that not work for a 2-door Bronco?
My preferred option would be the LockNLoad Crossbar Clamps for the lowest profile. However, I have not seen these used on any of the pre-production Broncos! Why?
LockNLoad Crossbar Clamps (Set of Two) – Yakima

PS. For reference, see the links below.
TimberLine System – Yakima
SkyRise HD Small – Yakima
TimberLine Towers (Set of Four) – Yakima

Rank VI

Dec 05, 2020

I’ve had the same questions @BuzzyBud. I want a few items to top off my Bronco. I plan to use the vehicle for long distance road trips where camping, hotels, and off-reading will all be done. My wife and Great Dane will of course be along for these runs, and we have lots to needs between the 3 of us. So this is my list of toppings for my Bronco and I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to mount all this.

Skybox 16 or Slim
https://yakima.com/products/skybox-...03.365923542.1607204337-1533764159.1607204337
Road Shower
https://yakima.com/products/roadshower?_ga=2.5543857.365923542.1607204337-1533764159.1607204337
Batwing Awning
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/rhino-rack-batwing-awning-33200/_/R-FCVT-33200
Plus some Jerry Cans, air compressor, boards, jack...
Bronco Nation Member #2396
Ordered: First Edition w/Area 51, Onyx Interior, MIC Top
If you're not in a Ford Bronco, you better be on horseback.
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 05, 2020

I’ve had the same questions @BuzzyBud. I want a few items to top off my Bronco. I plan to use the vehicle for long distance road trips where camping, hotels, and off-reading will all be done. My wife and Great Dane will of course be along for these runs, and we have lots to needs between the 3 of us. So this is my list of toppings for my Bronco and I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to mount all this.

Skybox 16 or Slim
https://yakima.com/products/skybox-...03.365923542.1607204337-1533764159.1607204337
Road Shower
https://yakima.com/products/roadshower?_ga=2.5543857.365923542.1607204337-1533764159.1607204337
Batwing Awning
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/rhino-rack-batwing-awning-33200/_/R-FCVT-33200
Plus some Jerry Cans, air compressor, boards, jack...

Be incredibly careful! The Yakima website has not yet been configured for Ford Broncos. You could end up with accessories that will not be safe for use on a Bronco. If you ask me, someone simply populated the Bronco Rack and Carriers accessory list on the B&P with what they were using for the Bronco Sport.

I understand many potential owners may want to remove the two front roof panels on their Broncos while the roof system is in place. That consideration should be factored into the decision process.

In a perfect world, @Nashville Early Bronco and a Yakima rep would create a video to help us prior to ordering our accessories. Hey, @David Reasonable suggestion?
Shadowblade

Rank VI

Dec 05, 2020

Be incredibly careful! The Yakima website has not yet been configured for Ford Broncos. You could end up with accessories that will not be safe for use on a Bronco. If you ask me, someone simply populated the Bronco Rack and Carriers accessory list on the B&P with what they were using for the Bronco Sport.

I understand many potential owners may want to remove the two front roof panels on their Broncos while the roof system is in place. That consideration should be factored into the decision process.

In a perfect world, @Nashville Early Bronco and a Yakima rep would create a video to help us prior to ordering our accessories. Hey, @David Reasonable suggestion?
That’s one of the things that has been plaguing my mind. Can I safely get this onboard? I can’t tell what from Yakima or any vendor I can buy from and what will work. That’s why, like you said. What can I use? If the BN team did a segment or even just some FAQ type answers to the roof accessories and options. That would be incredible helpful. I’d love to get all my stuff factory installed!
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 05, 2020

That’s one of the things that has been plaguing my mind. Can I safely get this onboard? I can’t tell what from Yakima or any vendor I can buy from and what will work. That’s why, like you said. What can I use? If the BN team did a segment or even just some FAQ type answers to the roof accessories and options. That would be incredible helpful. I’d love to get all my stuff factory installed!

I understand your desire to enjoy the great outdoors with your family. As you think through all the details it is important to not lose sight of how the Bronco was designed.

For me, I think of a Bronco as more like a mountain goat than a pack mule. My pack mule is my F150. I could take grandma’s cast-iron potbelly stove and a king-size waterbed in my F150. Not so in a Bronco. That is not the fault of the Bronco. The Bronco will be superb as a mountain goat and will take me places the F150 could never go.

Rank VI

Dec 05, 2020

I understand your desire to enjoy the great outdoors with your family. As you think through all the details it is important to not lose sight of how the Bronco was designed.

For me, I think of a Bronco as more like a mountain goat than a pack mule. My pack mule is my F150. I could take grandma’s cast-iron potbelly stove and a king-size waterbed in my F150. Not so in a Bronco. That is not the fault of the Bronco. The Bronco will be superb as a mountain goat and will take me places the F150 could never go.
Correct, it is a goat, or in my case needs to be a forest deer and desert cheetah (I guess) this Baja and slippery/mud modes. And will do a Little Rock (lol auto correct thought I was talking about a city) crawling too. But I need to travel 1,000s of miles to get to those locations, so I need it to be a pack mule at times too.
All of what you stated is very true! You have to be very careful what and how you load it and travel. So the more information I have about my accessories, GVWR, and options. The better I, and many others can plan our vehicles. Id love to pick your brain (and others here) more about options and things once we have more details.
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 05, 2020

Correct, it is a goat, or in my case needs to be a forest deer and desert cheetah (I guess) this Baja and slippery/mud modes. And will do a Little Rock (lol auto correct thought I was talking about a city) crawling too. But I need to travel 1,000s of miles to get to those locations, so I need it to be a pack mule at times too.
All of what you stated is very true! You have to be very careful what and how you load it and travel. So the more information I have about my accessories, GVWR, and options. The better I, and many others can plan our vehicles. Id love to pick your brain (and others here) more about options and things once we have more details.

You are not along. We all want to maximize our Bronco enjoyment in a safe way. To do that we may need to pack gear. To pack gear we need a number of key metrics. Typically enthusiasts pack the inside, on the roof or tow behind. Once we understand the vehicle limitations for each we need to match the weight of our gear to the best location. It is kind of like a wonderful puzzle.
My concern is I do not completely understand the roof top limitations. I think it is 110lbs. I am currently working with that number. I know the tow limit is 3500. I believe the payload on my 2-door is 1000, but not sure. Need to check that figure.
In essence, I have more than I need for my dog and me, I just need to be careful which locations I use. Make sense?

Rank VI

Dec 05, 2020

Yeah a 110lbs limit of the roof would mean the Road Shower alone would max my weight. The cargo box and awning would have to be for fitted. This makes no sense to me as I’ve seen many Wranglers with similar roof packs to my plan. Even the Overland Bronco has the tent and not the awning, which is offered by Ford on B&P. So why isn’t it one there. My thoughts weight...
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 06, 2020

Yeah a 110lbs limit of the roof would mean the Road Shower alone would max my weight. The cargo box and awning would have to be for fitted. This makes no sense to me as I’ve seen many Wranglers with similar roof packs to my plan. Even the Overland Bronco has the tent and not the awning, which is offered by Ford on B&P. So why isn’t it one there. My thoughts weight...

Bingo! I believe the Overlanding Bronco was carefully crafted to avoid any roof weight limits and the vehicle was equipped to avoid any GVWR limits. Be careful!

Rank VI

Dec 06, 2020

Yeah if it really is that low, I wouldn’t be able to travel at all like I hoped, would have to switch to a trailer... ugh that’s not good for me lol
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 06, 2020

Yeah if it really is that low, I wouldn’t be able to travel at all like I hoped, would have to switch to a trailer... ugh that’s not good for me lol

It is always best for you and your family to travel safely. Don't give up on the concept of a trailer. It could serve as a base camp while you explore in the Bronco. No matter what you decide, it is important to keep the center of gravity low in your Bronco. Also, consider using the serves of a CAT Scales location to weight your vehicle if you are not sure about the GVWR when it is fully packed.
For what it is worth, I am in the process of having an off-road trailer built to be towed behind my Bronco 2-door. Both will be Carbonized Gray.
Carb Gray 9.jpg

TK 47.jpeg
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Dec 06, 2020

It is always best for you and your family to travel safely. Don't give up on the concept of a trailer. It could serve as a base camp while you explore in the Bronco. No matter what you decide, it is important to keep the center of gravity low in your Bronco. Also, consider using the serves of a CAT Scales location to weight your vehicle if you are not sure about the GVWR when it is fully packed.
For what it is worth, I am in the process of having an off-road trailer built to be towed behind my Bronco 2-door. Both will be Carbonized Gray.
View attachment 6157

View attachment 6158
Yeah saw that before when you posted, that looks awesome!!!
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Dec 06, 2020

Usually when you see a Wrangler with a loaded up roof rack, tent or otherwise, there are interior structural supports like the Rhino Rack Backbone. I'm sure that RR will come up with a solution for the Bronco, but it'll likely take a year or two.
BuzzyBud