Which looks better Modular or Plastic with Bull Bar? Please be brutally honest!

Porkchop4464
Jul 01, 2022

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

So...

I waited and looked and finally got my modular bumper.

I had a load of issues which I will share for all to gain a better understanding of exactly what is needed to do the swap. The true issue now is that I think I may like the original with the bull bar better for my 70s/80s Trooper/Blazer aesthetic.

Things that are not noted when doing the swap from plastic to Modular...

Brackets are needed as I will not cut the original turbo cooler bracket hoops from the original brackets.
Instead, I used/sacrificed the rough Country frame horns I bought by cutting off the 3/4 inch boss holes about 4 inches back. https://www.roughcountry.com/tow-hook-shackle-conversion-kit-rs171c.html?

I know, I wasted $125 but I don't want to cut or modify anything that came originally with the truck; plus, just try and order them from Ford right now. If not impossible with all the supply shortages, would probably be well over the $125 I paid for those RC horns

The original plastic cover (belly pan or soft shell crab skid plate) for the plastic bumper will not work (unless you cut it). I now have to buy a metal factory or aftermarket skid (which I am planning on doing should I keep the modular bumper). I was also thinking of fabbing a skid from alum, fiberglass ( have a boatload left over from my hot-rodding days) or 16 gauge steel which is really not cheap today with all teh shortages 36 x36 inch steel is now $80.

If I went fiberglass, which I know I could get to match teh original pan pretty damn close, I could use the original plastic as the puck and get it very close. I looked online and all aftermarket companies want 400$! WTH!

Note: the base bumper is about 15 pounds, the modular is about 50!

Here we go! First, how I had it
1656676068686.png

Now, with the modular, still no smash pan added (and I am driving it!) I know, stupid!)!

1656676453473.jpeg
rws, Mal

Burrito Connoisseur

Jul 01, 2022

Truthfully I think the way you originally had it with the plastic bumper and bull-bar looked better… and this is coming from someone who typically doesn’t like bull-bars. But it gave it a unique look that most Broncos do not have, and the lights were integrated really well with the bumper.

The colored d-rings in the mod bumper give it a nice pop, but otherwise it just looks like any generic mod bumper with some lights thrown on top.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Sparky 22, ChuckO

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

Truthfully I think the way you originally had it with the plastic bumper and bull-bar looked better… and this is coming from someone who typically doesn’t like bull-bars. But it gave it a unique look that most Broncos do not have, and the lights were integrated really well with the bumper.

The colored d-rings in the mod bumper give it a nice pop, but otherwise, it just looks like any generic mod bumper with some lights thrown on top.

Thanks, R,

I am basically thinking the same thing; plus, I won't have to deal with getting or fabbing a new belly pan as well. I don't think I will have issues selling the Mod.

It's funny, now I am thinking about the capable bumper. It looks like they are the same bumper (as the base) except for the D ring covers. On the base bumper, the plastic covers also cover up the pre-cut fog light holes. So I am wondering if I could get a hold of the D ring brackets/hardware and the plastic covers?

Pork

No Ragerts

Jul 01, 2022

Hey Pork - I prefer the Mod bumper over the plastic bumper but your set up with the plastic was both unique and attractive!

I think what’s missing from your Mod set up is the actual hoop (bull bar). Perhaps a bar would set off your anticipated design aesthetic more similarly to your Plastic set up and allow for the integrated D-ring ruggedness your are trying to achieve.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Deano Bronc, Porkchop4464

Rank VI

Jul 01, 2022

Door # 1
Member # 5650 / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Porkchop4464

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

Hey Pork - I prefer the Mod bumper over the plastic bumper but your setup with the plastic was both unique and attractive!

I think what’s missing from your Mod setup is the actual hoop (bull bar). Perhaps a bar would set off your anticipated design aesthetic more similarly to your Plastic setup and allow for the integrated D-ring ruggedness your are trying to achieve.

Thanks Bschurr! I respect your advice and ideas! You have never steered me wrong. Especially with the Fluid Film rust preventative! I bought a few cans of that and crawled under the Bronco within the first month of owning it. Although a lot of elbow grease, my undercarriage looks like the day it came off the showroom floor. Crazy and awesome product that truly works, no BS. Aint cheap, but well worth it!

I am at a real crossroads here. The plastic is just lighter and the pan meets correctly, plus the look is unique. I do like the 3 inch bar on the bull, looks like a Tonka.
Good problems to have!
Bschurr, ChuckO

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

Door # 1
Starting to agree... Folks, that's three for three!
ChuckO

Rank 0

Jul 01, 2022

Do you have a picture with the bull bar without the lights on? I'm leaning toward this look, but it's hard to tell with the glare. Not a fan of the plastic bumper, but I think you did something different to set yours apart, and it looks great.
That being said, I am still a fan of the modular bumper, probably because that's what I have. =)
Porkchop4464

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

The first version works better because the scale is larger, more dominant, and the design is very integrated with the fog lamps in the bull bar set up. It's beefy, and manly (and we all know how important that is).

I could like the second version with more lights on the bar, but right now it just looks kind of skimpy, and small, and the lights look like an after thought. I dig the orange pull hooks though.
2Dr Badlands, manual, 322A, Iconic Silver, baby seal leather seat covers, reserved 2-24-22, stickered/blend date 9/30/22

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

So...

I waited and looked and finally got my modular bumper.

I had a load of issues which I will share for all to gain a better understanding of exactly what is needed to do the swap. The true issue now is that I think I may like the original with the bull bar better for my 70s/80s Trooper/Blazer aesthetic.

Things that are not noted when doing the swap from plastic to Modular...

Brackets are needed as I will not cut the original turbo cooler bracket hoops from the original brackets.
Instead, I used/sacrificed the rough Country frame horns I bought by cutting off the 3/4 inch boss holes about 4 inches back. https://www.roughcountry.com/tow-hook-shackle-conversion-kit-rs171c.html?

I know, I wasted $125 but I don't want to cut or modify anything that came originally with the truck; plus, just try and order them from Ford right now. If not impossible with all the supply shortages, would probably be well over the $125 I paid for those RC horns

The original plastic cover (belly pan or soft shell crab skid plate) for the plastic bumper will not work (unless you cut it). I now have to buy a metal factory or aftermarket skid (which I am planning on doing should I keep the modular bumper). I was also thinking of fabbing a skid from alum, fiberglass ( have a boatload left over from my hot-rodding days) or 16 gauge steel which is really not cheap today with all teh shortages 36 x36 inch steel is now $80.

If I went fiberglass, which I know I could get to match teh original pan pretty damn close, I could use the original plastic as the puck and get it very close. I looked online and all aftermarket companies want 400$! WTH!

Note: the base bumper is about 15 pounds, the modular is about 50!

Here we go! First, how I had it
View attachment 38863

Now, with the modular, still no smash pan added (and I am driving it!) I know, stupid!)!

View attachment 38864
The top version has levels and dimension, although it could just be due to the bull bar. But the grill and the fender have nice breakup, cleaner shapes. The second version feels very stubby and tall. Lots of horizontal lines, and feels very condensed and busy. Feels like one big plane. From an aesthetic point of view, I think you've found a real nice balance with the first arrangement. To be clear, both look great, just different vibes. Nice work!
'22 barebones base, 4dr, non sas, softtop, 2.3 Area51.
Ordered 3/7/22, received 8/6/22 That's how you get it fast!

Trusted and Carefree

Jul 01, 2022

I like number one as well. I think the Mod-bumper looks the nicest of the factory setups, but that Bull bar looks tough. I also like that light arrangement much better.
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
Porkchop4464

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

Man! Hard to argue with all the pro responses for the base bumper with bull bar!

In my heart, I feel it as well. I guess I just had my mind so damn set on getting that Mod bumper. I now own an 8 hundred dollar bumper with no proper Ford skid plates. There is one place that sells all three metal, FoMoCo for six hundred!

Secondly, and I know it seems stupid with such poor gas mileage as it is, but man, when I first got and moved that modular bumper shipment...DAMN IS IT HEAVY!

I am not kidding when I say it is at least three or four times the weight of the base bumper!

When I consider this, I can't help but compare it to carrying another person around with the gas mileage and wear on the truck. Add up that bumper, three factory metal skid plates, the gas tank cover plate that comes with the Squatch package, and... well... it's just a lot more weight. I bet all that combined metal has to be over 180 pounds, right?

In closing, I want to share how the first thing the wife said to me, after I took half a day to fab/modify the brackets and change everything over was... "Where's the big bar thingee; I like that part?"

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, guys!

Love my fellow Broncians on BN, you all get it when a lot of other folks just don't.

Does anyone know of someone wanting to get rid of a metal mod bumper pan set? There is one (just the first pan below teh bumper/ not all three) online right now for 400 firm! I can't say as I blame anyone for trying to get good money as the parts are just impossible to get from Ford as well.

I also really want a Bad land grill to paint silver if anyone has one (the larger six ovals instead of the smaller mesh grill on the base).

Pork
Mal

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

I like number one as well. I think the Mod-bumper looks the nicest of the factory setups, but that Bull bar looks tough. I also like that light arrangement much better.
Thanks, Mal, I agree as well!

Trusted and Carefree

Jul 01, 2022

Does anyone know of someone wanting to get rid of a metal mod bumper pan set? There is one (just the first pan below teh bumper/ not all three) online right now for 400 firm! I can't say as I blame anyone for trying to get good money as the parts are just impossible to get from Ford as well.

I like this one ( and really all the aluminum stuff these guys do). Its $416 before shipping

https://www.asfir.com/front-skid-plate-599655.html
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
Porkchop4464, MobScene13

Rank 0

Jul 01, 2022

It being Independence weekend and the thread being about your move from base to mod bumper, I thought I'd exercise the liberty to put this here and prove that the mod bumper has a lot of potential:
KakaoTalk_20220620_065343096.jpg

The only change to the front end that I'm planning on is the Rough Country hidden winch mount, which would replace the current skid plate.
This could also be an option for you, granted that you didn't remove any necessary mounting points during your swap.
Here's the link. It's also cheaper than a OEM skid plate (sans winch).
Bschurr, Porkchop4464

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

I like this one ( and really all the aluminum stuff these guys do). Its $416 before shipping

https://www.asfir.com/front-skid-plate-599655.html

Mal!
Thanks, I actually never saw that skid set up and I have combed the web for so many hours and options

So here is the real kicker in all of this... That Alum skid plate setup you posted won't fit the modular bumper because the extended alum lip cutouts for the two factory, black powder-coated, Ford tow loops go well past the modular bumper.

With this, I have the original plastic skid cover that I will use when I put my base bumper and factory loop tow hooks (maybe painted orange/but prob not) back on with my three-inch Weston bull bar and Hella lights.

In fact, since I cut the Rough Country frame connectors now to fit the Ford Modular (Why Did Ford make these common switchable major mod products different/bumpers/skid plates/ I mean... Really?!)? I will go back to and use mostly all stock Ford parts.

If you knew this already, sorry, I just wanted to point it all out to anyone thinking of making the switch. There are numerous additional parts needed if you're going to upgrade to a mod bumper from a base bumper setup.

Plot thickens here and questions grow... Interestingly now, there are holes stamped in my base plastic bumper beneath the solid plastic pop-out panels. This makes me believe that the base bumper with Fogs (which mine doesn't have) is the same bumper, I just need the actual foglights and the two (left and right) plastic pop-out panels?

Furthur more, can anyone verify if the bolt on D ring hardware plates for the upgraded bumper (the one between base and modular) is the same? I belive it is called "functioning" or something like that bumper. Do the front D rings/hardware actually bolt to the same place as the base plastic bumper but need the plastic pop plates and D ring hardware?

Sorry, I know this damn post is long and scary, but I am trying to work out the details on the upgraded bumpers.

Pork

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

It being Independence weekend and the thread being about your move from base to mod bumper, I thought I'd exercise the liberty to put this here and prove that the mod bumper has a lot of potential:
View attachment 38913

The only change to the front end that I'm planning on is the Rough Country hidden winch mount, which would replace the current skid plate.
This could also be an option for you, granted that you didn't remove any necessary mounting points during your swap.
Cool! When you do that, if you wanna sell that factory metal skid, I'm looking!

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

View attachment 38913

Looking sharp! I got the same D rings!

Rank 0

Jul 01, 2022

Cool! When you do that, if you wanna sell that factory metal skid, I'm looking!
It's pretty smashed.
You can tell by the license plate, which used to 90° vertical to the ground.
You can also see that it's really brown due to a few kisses with rocks and various floors.
That said, you'll be the first to know when it comes off.
Porkchop4464

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

Okay, so although it looks like teh plastic on the base the Capable is metal! I still wonder, since the plastic pop-outs look the same, can you put the Capable D hooks and hardware on the base set up? Ma n! They really look the same.