What is this?

Downriver Dave
Feb 24, 2021

Rank II

Feb 24, 2021

1614168706686.png

If you look at the picture at the rear view mirror, on the left side there is a square opening in the slotted section, in this opening there is something. I am not sure what it is and can not find any details on it, it looks like some sort of sensor or camera lens. I do not have an auto adjusting mirror either and I do not have the moonroof that is pictured. This may be a silly question but I am curious what it is.

Anyone have any idea?
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2021

Rank VI

Feb 24, 2021

View attachment 9380

If you look at the picture at the rear view mirror, on the left side there is a square opening in the slotted section, in this opening there is something. I am not sure what it is and can not find any details on it, it looks like some sort of sensor or camera lens. I do not have an auto adjusting mirror either and I do not have the moonroof that is pictured. This may be a silly question but I am curious what it is.

Anyone have any idea?

Mic for BT?
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
NVSUR, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Feb 24, 2021

Mic for BT?
OK you got me!
“BT” means?

Rank VI

Feb 24, 2021

Mic for BT?
OK you got me!
“BT” means?

Bluetooth
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
BuzzyBud

Rank II

Feb 24, 2021

Mic for BT?
I think the mic for BT is the round portion to the left of the visor on the roof?
Its no big deal, just drives me nuts not knowing what something is, OCD I guess LOL.
NVSUR

Rank V

Feb 24, 2021

Here is a close up of the one in our Outer Banks. It is definitely a rearward facing sensor of some type (smooth glass cover); never noticed it before. When I head out later I'll cover it up and try to determine what it does or doesn't trigger...if I don't make it back by nightfall, send out the search party!

Attachments

FE: 4 Dr, A51, NP
BRaptor: HPR; Original GT Res - 7/14/20
Jakob1972, Ian Lacasse

Libations MOD

Feb 24, 2021

It's the Flux Capacitor upgrade, Looks like you didn't get that
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
PSUTE, Bronco V-8

Rank II

Feb 24, 2021

Here is a close up of the one in our Outer Banks. It is definitely a rearward facing sensor of some type (smooth glass cover); never noticed it before. When I head out later I'll cover it up and try to determine what it does or doesn't trigger...if I don't make it back by nightfall, send out the search party!
YES thats it. If we dont hear from you by the end of the day we will send out a search party LOL. Keep me/us posted on any findings. I never thought about covering it up to see what works or doesnt work DUH.
NVSUR, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Feb 24, 2021

First off, thank you @Downriver Dave for posting this thread. (I love this stuff!)
@DeepCreek I am not sure, but does your picture show what could be a spot for a camera that would be facing the center console between the driver and front passenger? Later today, will you be able to determine if a camera is present? If so, will you be able to notice if an indicator light indicating off/on is also present?

Let me place a few ideas on the table. Highly unlikely speculation, so tread carefully! I think Telenav provides a great deal of the "smart car" technology for Ford. On the windshield facing side of that interior component should be the camera for functions such as adaptive cruise control. Telenav might have some connection to the "sensor" in question on this thread.

I read through the 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Owner's Manual. (See pdf below) and could not identify it's functionality. Might it be there for future functionality? Seems odd that some Bronco Sport models have it and others do not if it is connected to existing functionality. However, there is a lot I do not know about the Bronco Sport.

If it is there for future functionality, here is where this discussion gets super strange! We know Telenav is preparing technology called "In-Car Digital Commerce (ICC)", might it facilitate that function? Take a look at the video in the link below and notice the face recognition function. (You need to scroll down a bit to find it.)
I thought this function would show up in the Mach-e GT first and then roll-out to other Ford products.

https://www.telenav.com/products/in-car-commerce

Attachments

Bandit Bronco, ResidualGenius

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Feb 24, 2021

Does the Bronco Sport have the camera that detects if you are looking straight ahead while driving or not ? They put those off to the side in some cars and it still detects your eye position .
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
BuzzyBud

Rank II

Feb 24, 2021

FOUND OUT WHAT IT IS!!!!

Its an In-Vehicle Temperature and Humidity Sensor

At the risk of sounding stupid, I didnt say that I am a contractor at a Ford Vehicle Lab, this is not our focus here, but I reached out to some other engineers, wasnt sure who could help me figure it out and got that answer back.
Ryneal21, PSUTE

Rank VI

Feb 24, 2021

FOUND OUT WHAT IT IS!!!!

Its an In-Vehicle Temperature and Humidity Sensor

At the risk of sounding stupid, I didnt say that I am a contractor at a Ford Vehicle Lab, this is not our focus here, but I reached out to some other engineers, wasnt sure who could help me figure it out and got that answer back.
So... some Bronco Sports do not have one?

Rank II

Feb 24, 2021

So... some Bronco Sports do not have one?
From what I have seen, with the vehicles here, none of which are Broncos, they all had that sensor too.
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Feb 24, 2021

Call off the search party, I made it home! Explanation sounds good to me! I covered it with a piece of tape all day and noticed no change in any electronic function. Actually started to think that BuzzyBud was right about the facial recognition thing...was worried Big Brother might be watching me. I guess I can remove the tape now!
FE: 4 Dr, A51, NP
BRaptor: HPR; Original GT Res - 7/14/20
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Feb 24, 2021

It's the Flux Capacitor upgrade, Looks like you didn't get that
Bummer, I wanted Dilithium crystals...
Joined May 29, 2020 Member 546
Rockaway, Ryneal21

Rank IV

Feb 25, 2021

View attachment 9380

Anyone have any idea?
Bottle opener
TK1215, BuzzyBud

Rank II

Feb 25, 2021

Call off the search party, I made it home! Explanation sounds good to me! I covered it with a piece of tape all day and noticed no change in any electronic function. Actually started to think that BuzzyBud was right about the facial recognition thing...was worried Big Brother might be watching me. I guess I can remove the tape now!
Right, thats the direction I was going until I got confirmation. Glad to see you escaped the BLACK SUIT guys. :ROFLMAO:
DeepCreek, Deano Bronc

Rank II

Feb 25, 2021

Bottle opener
Bottle opener is in the back, cant wait to use that WOOHOO!!!
AmCap76, DeepCreek

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Feb 25, 2021

Bottle opener should be on the dash.
Joined May 29, 2020 Member 546
Downriver Dave, AmCap76

Rank II

Feb 25, 2021

Bottle opener should be on the dash.
Would make much more sense but its actually in the back if you havent looked at it.

Besides we are Bronco guys we twist off all caps, twist off or not.
Rydfree, AmCap76