Video Conference with Jim Farley, CEO of FoMoCo.

BuzzyBud
May 12, 2021

Rank VI

May 12, 2021

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021, at 10:15AM EST I had the pleasure to participate in a video conference with Jim Farley, CEO of Ford Motor Company. It lasted about one hour, and I found every minute to be riveting. Any lingering concerns regarding whether a Bronco was the right vehicle for me were washed away.

Not only did I gain a deeper understanding of Jim, but I also learned about several members of the Bronco community who each have a long and rich history with Bronco ownership. Interestingly, I was the only participant without prior Bronco experience. Yet I grew to understand how the Bronco community is actively expanding the tent to welcome newbies like myself to share the culture.

I found it fascinating to learn Jim’s journey in guiding the Bronco during the initial stages. How some members of the Ford leadership team saw value in a modern interpretation and how Jim was instrumental in helping the design team arrive at the final design. Jim was equally proud of how the Ranger platform helped set the stage for the Bronco. Without both the platform and the final design we may have lost an opportunity to connect the Bronco to its rich history.

As you would expect, Jim is very much a hands-on leader who has spent hours behind the wheel of a Bronco. When asked for his impressions, there was no hesitation. Jim understands how many households may not be able to afford multiple vehicles. They seek off-road adventures, but also need a good daily driver. Jim was extremely impressed with how the Bronco is both a superb off-road vehicle and a great daily driver. It seemed the meeting was energized with his enthusiasm.

Clearly, Jim had a mission to accomplish. He wanted to learn what each of the participants planned to do with our Broncos. As we each took a turn speaking, it was clear we all understood the special opportunity Bronco ownership will provide. Jim seemed pleased with our responses.

With the information sharing component of the meeting complete, Jim offered a moment of reflection. It was clear he feels a burden of responsibility to delivery Broncos which exceed our expectations. He also was genuinely grateful for the trust all potential owners have given him and the Ford Motor Company.

Needless to say, I found it to be an incredibly good day to be a potential Bronco owner.

Epilogue

Over the years I have worked with many company CEOs. Some have a clear vision for their organization and possess an ability to structure their thoughts to make the vision a reality. Jim is clearly one of those CEOs.

Great CEOs need to function at the 50,000-foot level. No one else in the company can soar at that level. With your head in the clouds, you can easily lose sight of your vision’s implementation. That is when targeted meetings are organized.

During these challenging times for the rollout of the Bronco, some of you may wonder if additional clarity on the rollout was obtained during the meeting. Although we all have questions and seek answers, that was not the purpose of the meeting.

I believe each participant came away from that meeting with a richer understanding of Jim. In many ways, that far exceeded my expectations.
bdawson24, jakecovert

Wank ER

May 12, 2021

Nice update Buzz!
2021 FE Cactus Grey
TK1215, SlashRacer

Rank V

May 12, 2021

Thanks Buzz, and this is a great write up! It is clear from your experience and so much that we have seen in this roll out that Ford has been closely tracking and engaging with the buying community. One can call this feeding the hype but I think your experience here with Jim Farley and others that I have read reveal how these Ford execs really care about the Bronco. The interviews that I have read with current and former Ford team members make this clear. The podcast series, Bring Back Bronco, cited the massive influence inside Ford of the "Bronco Underground" that has been working for decades to get us a new Bronco. I like a lot that Ford is doing (Tremor series, Mach-E, Explorer Timberline) and I am glad to see Farley at the helm.
4DR OBX, A51, 2.3L/Auto, Soft Top, High Package, 4.27 Locking Rear Diff, AUX Switches
Reserved: 7/14/20, Ordered: 1/29/21, Built: 9/7/21, Assumed the Reins: 9/14/21
Bronc96, SlashRacer

Rank V

May 12, 2021

Clearly, Jim had a mission to accomplish. He wanted to learn what each of the participants planned to do with our Broncos. As we each took a turn speaking, it was clear we all understood the special opportunity Bronco ownership will provide. Jim seemed pleased with our responses.

First thing I plan on doing with my new Bronco is actually receiving it...

It is nice to see the CEO reaching out to the customers. It shows that he wants the brand to grow by listening to them rather then an engineer who "THINKS" they know what the customers want. Hats off to him for that.
Bronco Badlands, Bronco Black Diamond, Bronco Big Bend, & Bronco Sport Badlands
www.youtube.com/1five1garage
Speed Devil, Bronc96

Rank VI

May 12, 2021

@Deepshag , @ChapEJF , @1Five1 Garage Thank you for reading my post and your kind words.

That conference went a long way toward helping me maintain my enthusiasm for owning a Bronco. Unlike many members here on Bronco Nation, I have not yet seen a Bronco. In a perfect world, I will see one prior to taking delivery.

My dream event is a tour of the Michigan Assembly Plant where I could see Broncos being built. Maybe dreams do come true?
RockstarBobby, JRHopp

Rank V

May 12, 2021

My dream event is a tour of the Michigan Assembly Plant where I could see Broncos being built. Maybe dreams do come true?

In a regular year I would see the opportunity for this to happen. I would even pay to see it. But with the times we are in now? I see them wanting to protect there employees and I am OK with that. My company won't even let customers spending millions of dollars into the area.
Bronc96, SlashRacer

Mud,Sweat and Gears

May 12, 2021

How did you get in on that? I would've liked to be in.
Deepshag, SlashRacer

Rank VI

May 12, 2021

How did you get in on that? I would've liked to be in.

It was just my dumb luck! ;)
SlashRacer, Commodore

Home, home on the range

May 12, 2021

I was just my dumb luck! ;)
I heard a quote a while back. "I'd rather be lucky than good." :cool:
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
SlashRacer, Commodore

Rank III

May 12, 2021

@BuzzyBud , it was nice to meet you virtually and to share that unique opportunity and experience with you and the other reservation holders on the video conference.

I look forward to meeting you in person at an event and on the trail when we get our new Broncos soon!

Your mention of planning to drive yours up Mount Washington added another item to my bucket list since I need to get up your way to check off main and Vermont as my last two states to visit (besides Hawaii, which I haven't been able to find a good overland route to yet ).

If you get a chance, you should go meet some great Bronco folks at the May It Forward event this coming weekend in Jaffrey, NH.

I had a good friend of mine who puts on that event (and who also has that same funny accident that you do )on to one of the last Ford Bronco Talk podcast episodes I did to discuss his upcoming event a bit.o You can catch it at 1:40:30:

https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/1/6/f/16...20821510&hwt=1a9571633a8a850ca9f49e8470b781d9
It's also listed over on the events calendar:

https://thebronconation.com/event/7th-annual-may-it-forward/
LoneRanger, Bronc96

Rank IV

May 12, 2021

First thing I plan on doing with my new Bronco is actually receiving it...

It is nice to see the CEO reaching out to the customers. It shows that he wants the brand to grow by listening to them rather than an engineer who "THINKS" they know what the customers want. Hats off to him for that.

Engineers design parts and systems and figure out how to make everything fit and work together and assemble. Marketing, design, and financial people make all the big decisions about what content to include and what a vehicle looks like.
SlashRacer, Commodore

Rank VI

May 12, 2021

Buzzy, thank you for your write up. As was mentioned earlier we got a glimpse of Jim's passion for the Bronco from the Bring Back Bronco podcast. I am glad to hear that he is reaching out to get the customer perspective and share some insights.

Hope you get a chance soon to experience the new Bronco in person. I have been lucky as well by being able to attend SuperCel East twice. Looking forward to when we all have our new rigs and are getting the chance to experience them as the collective Bronco Nation!
Bronc96, SlashRacer

Rank VI

May 12, 2021

It was a real pleasure getting to hang out with you and everyone else, Warren! Never thought I'd get to say I talked to the CEO of FoMoCo so that was definitely an honor as well. I'm sure Jim has got a lot of plates spinning so for him to take the time to hang out with us for a bit really means a lot. And don't worry about the Bronco. It'll blow your mind when you take a rip in one, I guarantee it! Shoot, I was riding shotgun, and I still couldn't believe it:LOL: Looking forward to hanging out in the future! And we will definitely tear up some trails and get you in a video if you're up for it!
LoneRanger, Broncitis

Rank V

May 12, 2021

Engineers design parts and systems and figure out how to make everything fit and work together and assemble. Marketing, design, and financial people make all the big decisions about what content to include and what a vehicle looks like.

I know what engineers do... I work with them every day building Jet Aircraft.

The point is they were listening to what the customers wanted. I have seen this fall short before. (An all black explorer sport with black wheels, badging, trim, etc... except nice big Chrome door handles.) while the Base model explorer had the black painted handles and chrome everything else.
SlashRacer, Commodore

Rank VI

May 12, 2021

It was a real pleasure getting to hang out with you and everyone else, Warren! Never thought I'd get to say I talked to the CEO of FoMoCo so that was definitely an honor as well. I'm sure Jim has got a lot of plates spinning so for him to take the time to hang out with us for a bit really means a lot. And don't worry about the Bronco. It'll blow your mind when you take a rip in one, I guarantee it! Shoot, I was riding shotgun, and I still couldn't believe it:LOL: Looking forward to hanging out in the future! And we will definitely tear up some trails and get you in a video if you're up for it!

Mitch , thank you for reading this thread. Yes, good things come to those who wait. Always up for one of your videos!

What is amazing to me about buying a Bronco is the feeling of being welcomed into a world of like-minded owners who like to have fun. You are the King of Fun! Once you take ownership of your Bronco, I hope you find that place for several Whoops! ;)
Bronc96, SlashRacer

Rank VI

May 12, 2021

Cool man, thanks for the insight! (y)
A big square Lightening Blue FE with puffy tires.....and a CB antenna for good measure! ;-)
Bronc96, SlashRacer

Rank VI

May 12, 2021

@Deepshag , @ChapEJF , @1Five1 Garage Thank you for reading my post and your kind words.

That conference went a long way toward helping me maintain my enthusiasm for owning a Bronco. Unlike many members here on Bronco Nation, I have not yet seen a Bronco. In a perfect world, I will see one prior to taking delivery.

Buzz, Nice write up. How were you able to see or be part of this? Excellent.. And I finally saw 2 Broncos today, man you will not be disappointed!
Bronc96, Giggles

Rank VI

May 12, 2021

Thanks for representing us and doing a great synopsis. I also am yet to see my chosen ride!
I wasn't there...
Bronc96, SlashRacer

Rank VI

May 12, 2021

Buzz, Nice write up. How were you able to see or be part of this?

There were only six potential owners (counting myself) attending the Webex video conference. The common thread is we each are reservation holders for a MY21 Bronco. Initially, I thought it might just be a market survey performed by the marketing staff at FoMoCo. You could have knocked me over with a feather when Jim Farley entered the conference. Even then I thought maybe he was just passing through and wanted to say Hi. But no, he spent approximately one hour with us and came well prepared. He knew I placed my order for a Bronco on 7/14 and I had chosen a Badlands model. If I had not been sitting down, I would have done a backward stagger.

Years from now as I hand the key fob for the Bronco to my grandson, I will tell him all about this experience. Knowing me, I will probably tell him this story multiple times as he queues me up with his usual line, “Hey Papa, tell me that story one more time”. :)
Heart2, LR48

Rank VI

May 12, 2021

Wow, that is awesome. What an honor seriously cool. Good for you man, happy for you.
bdawson24, Bronc96