Update on PPF Availability

SuperMike
Feb 22, 2022

Rank V

Feb 22, 2022

Just stumbled across this article and thought I'd share... I apologize if it's a repost (couldn't find it). I have not removed this item from my build yet, which is a WT, but starting to think it might be worth it.

Most 2022 Ford Bronco Trims Will Not Get Paint Protection Film At Factory (fordauthority.com)

From the article:
Demand for factory paint protection film on 2022 Ford Bronco models has been so great, in fact, that the automaker is removing the option on all unscheduled orders for every trim level except the Wildtrak as the Ford Michigan Assembly Plant is unable to support the volume of orders containing that option.

Ford notes that 14 percent of current orders have opted for the film, while it only has the capacity to support 2 percent of orders. Thus, the paint protection film option was automatically removed from unscheduled customer orders yesterday, February 15th, 2022, and vehicle pricing has been adjusted accordingly.

Only those ordering a Wildtrak will be able to opt for factory-installed paint protection for the remainder of the 2022 model year, while affected customers will receive an email from Ford in the next few weeks.
Wildtrak ⁞ 4 DR ⁞ HOSS 3.0 ⁞ Area51 ⁞ Lux+Leather ⁞ Tow ⁞ MIC+Sunrider Top ⁞ Res 5/11/21, Rec'd 9/30/22
RagnarKon, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2022

Burrito Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2022

So... reading between the lines a bit...

Either this means that Wildtrak with PPF accounts for roughly 2% of the orders. Or this means Wildtrak orders are so incredibly constrained as it is that it doesn't really matter if they remove PPF as an order option or not.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Mal, SuperMike

Rank V

Feb 22, 2022

Either this means that Wildtrak with PPF accounts for roughly 2% of the orders. Or this means Wildtrak orders are so incredibly constrained as it is that it doesn't really matter if they remove PPF as an order option or not.

I'm hoping that it means that, by removing all BUT Wildtrak, it will 'open the gates' to get some WT's moved down the line (a guy can dream). :p
Wildtrak ⁞ 4 DR ⁞ HOSS 3.0 ⁞ Area51 ⁞ Lux+Leather ⁞ Tow ⁞ MIC+Sunrider Top ⁞ Res 5/11/21, Rec'd 9/30/22

Standing Grumpy Face

Feb 22, 2022

It's clear vinyl. I don't even understand how this ever became a constraint.
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Feb 22, 2022

Maybe everyone is buying saran wrap since they have been home!! just kidding.
Wildtrak, hot pepper red, mic, Lux, tow...Totally worth it!!
SuperMike

Rank V

Feb 22, 2022

So a friend of mine who works at the KTP told me that for things like this, the vehicle comes off the line, goes to a trim shop or specialty shop for installation of add-ons, then has to go back on the line to be finished up, QC, etc. I may not have gotten that full journey down just right, but basically it's probably not a materials constraint, but a labor/volume constraint.
Deano Bronc, SlashRacer

Rank III

Feb 22, 2022

Ford should stay out of this type of business and leave to aftermarket that can do it faster, better and cheaper - they should just focus on building the vehicles
Mal

Rank V

Feb 22, 2022

Ford should stay out of this type of business and leave to aftermarket that can do it faster, better and cheaper - they should just focus on building the vehicles

I agree -- except it's NOT cheaper. It costs more at the dealership, and more at every shop I contacted. That's why I have yet to remove it... I won't be able to get it done any cheaper.

Rank III

Feb 22, 2022

Wow - I guess things have changed since I hung it up from Ford and running Ford dealership -- use to able to get a lot better accessories of all various types faster, better and cheaper after the fact. Ford Accessories were always an embarrassment. I'm waiting for my Wild Trak - was Feb 20 - then March 7 and now March 14. I checked every box -- only thing I want to add is a winch - so hopefully that will be easy when it get's here. Hopefully yours is coming soon
SuperMike

Rank III

Feb 23, 2022

I agree -- except it's NOT cheaper. It costs more at the dealership, and more at every shop I contacted. That's why I have yet to remove it... I won't be able to get it done any cheaper.
It seems it will be removed by Ford for you

Rank V

Feb 23, 2022

It seems it will be removed by Ford for you

Lol… maybe… I may just initiate the process on my own tomorrow. It’s not THAT critical. Just thought it would be nice to have at a cheaper install price and not have to go 3rd party on it. But I’m thinking of having it ceramic coated anyway so may as well remove the constraint.

Rank 0

Feb 23, 2022

guys, I work for a Tier 1 supplier that installs this film for Ford as well as other auto makers. In my plant we install it for stellantis. The vehicle leaves ford plant complete, is transferred to supplier, supplier upfits numerous accessories (steps,film, decals, safes,etc), vehicle is returned to ford for final inspection, and then shipped to dealer. This is common in just about all auto makers. It can add timing to your order and is impacted by estimated quoted volume, supplier staffs for that volume and when volume is exceeded this adds to timing. Ford can not predict volumes on new lines and has to predict on little knowledge what the demand will be. In this instance and just about anything Bronco related, they underestimated the demand for their product. I ordered it on my wildtrak and will leave it on the order, one because pricing is superb. Neighbor had his front clip on his C8 vette done and it was 2500. Two because it supports local economy and my employer. Three because I’ve seen paint on my jeeps over the past 15 years take a beating!
Deano Bronc, IceSoldier88