Cost Effective/Aggressive A/T Tires?

dhut2022
Apr 20, 2022

Rank 0

Apr 20, 2022

Hey Bronco Nation,

This question is a bit premature since I have no clue when to expect my Bronco (4-dr Base). But whenever that is, I'd like to do a tire upgrade.

Eventually (when the money is there), I'd like to put a lift on, get some new wheels, and add 35s. Until then, I need a recommendation for an aggressive-looking A/T tire that will fit the base steelies and won't break the bank. Based on what I've read, I believe 285/75r16 is the biggest you can go on the base wheels.

Thanks for the help everyone! Looking forward to getting my hands on a Bronco and enjoying the journey with the rest of you :cool:
2022 4dr Base NonSquatch, Eruption Green, 2.3l Hard Top. Ordered 3/5/22.
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2022

Black Velvet

Apr 20, 2022

Hey Bronco Nation,

This question is a bit premature since I have no clue when to expect my Bronco (4-dr Base). But whenever that is, I'd like to do a tire upgrade.

Eventually (when the money is there), I'd like to put a lift on, get some new wheels, and add 35s. Until then, I need a recommendation for an aggressive-looking A/T tire that will fit the base steelies and won't break the bank. Based on what I've read, I believe 285/75r16 is the biggest you can go on the base wheels.

Thanks for the help everyone! Looking forward to getting my hands on a Bronco and enjoying the journey with the rest of you :cool:
315/70r/17 nitro tires with the lift should fit .

Rank VI

Apr 20, 2022

BFG AT/KO2
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
EvlNvrDys, Shoresy

Black Velvet

Apr 20, 2022

315/70r/17 nitro tires with the lift should fit .
Move up to a 17” rim

Apr 20, 2022

Hey Bronco Nation,

You are correct on the sizing. Anything bigger and you will have to remove the crash bars. Look at the options below, BF KO2 is supposed to be good, heard mixed reviews about Nitto Trail Grapplers, I’ve had Toyo Open Country AT2 and they were my favorite tire I’ve had. Looked aggressive but super quiet and got me out of a few rough patches. Plan on spending at least a grand for five tires if you want to get one for your spare as well. I wouldn’t go cheaper than these options to be honest.
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s

Standing Grumpy Face

Apr 20, 2022

Kenda Klever RTs. Very reasonably priced. They are very popular among the Gladiator crowd. I've seen zero complaints.

299FFEA6-06D3-49E2-8502-D8D19AD906C0.jpeg
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Apr 20, 2022

General Grabbers are reported to be very good and my experience with General overall has been good as well. I like my current BFGoodrich KO2s. I have been super happy with their performance, even in mud. The 285/75/16 is pretty close to a true 33" tire. Unless you are doing hardcore rocks or deep mud, you will probably find that that they handle most off road situations pretty well. In terms of performance, you will definitely take a hit in acceleration and mileage, but it's probably still decent for daily driving. I also find it interesting how many people plan to add 35" tires to Bronco's that don't contemplate the needed gearing change, but everyone has their own tolerance when it comes to performance.
Deano Bronc, Michael Ashmore

Rank V

Apr 20, 2022

The KO2s and the Grabber ATX are two comparably rated AT tires with the ATX being slightly less expensive. 285/75R16 will look great and should still perform well All around.
Michael Ashmore

Black Velvet

Apr 20, 2022

General Grabbers are reported to be very good and my experience with General overall has been good as well. I like my current BFGoodrich KO2s. I have been super happy with their performance, even in mud. The 285/75/16 is pretty close to a true 33" tire. Unless you are doing hardcore rocks or deep mud, you will probably find that that they handle most off road situations pretty well. In terms of performance, you will definitely take a hit in acceleration and mileage, but it's probably still decent for daily driving. I also find it interesting how many people plan to add 35" tires to Bronco's that don't contemplate the needed gearing change, but everyone has their own tolerance when it comes to performance.
pkg
I got the sas package On my bronco if it gets built
Mattwings

Rank II

Apr 20, 2022

BFG AT/KO2

These are the ones I'm looking at closely for when I take Delivery. Too many stories about the Sasquatch tires being crap. That's what Ford gets for using those Goodyear "Wrangler" tires. lol

Hope I can get a decent price selling my Sasquatch takeoffs.
2022 4 Door Outer Banks, LUX, Soft Top, Sasquatch, 2.7L, modular bumper
She's named "Baloo"

Rank V

Apr 20, 2022

Toyo, Nitto and Kenda
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22

Apr 20, 2022

These are the ones I'm looking at closely for when I take Delivery. Too many stories about the Sasquatch tires being crap. That's what Ford gets for using those Goodyear "Wrangler" tires. lol

Same thing with the Big Bend stock Duelers. Heard they are pretty much garbage in wet/ snow conditions. I plan KO2 or Toyos. They both have good track records. I don’t have experience with the ones @Garemlin mentioned, but he brought them up before in another post and definitely worth a look.
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s

Black Velvet

Apr 20, 2022

Some one will buy them,im going to ride them for a while and then buy some new shoes

Rank VI

Apr 20, 2022

I know several people with the Good Years that like them. I have been on trail rides with others using them, in some pretty sloppy mud and they seemed to do pretty well. They are a "multi terrain" not a mud terrain, so that may be a complaint for those hoping for a mud focused tire. They performed great on the rocks at Off-Roadeo too btw. The one consistent issue seems to be flinging rocks more than most other similar tires.
Deano Bronc

Rank II

Apr 20, 2022

(Plus, if I buy new tires from Discount Tire, I'll get the tire warranty, free rotations, etc... love those guys!)
2022 4 Door Outer Banks, LUX, Soft Top, Sasquatch, 2.7L, modular bumper
She's named "Baloo"

Rank III

Apr 20, 2022

I put Falken WildPeak AT3W on mine, 285/75/16, that gets you basically a 33" tire. And these are pretty aggressive, but still smooth and quiet on the road. Got a good price as well

PXL_20220419_154407327.jpg
dover157, Deano Bronc

Gladesmen

Apr 20, 2022

I like my Cooper Evolution MTs I put on my 04 F250. they are quieter then the Toyo open countries I had. But to be Honest that Cummins hides most noises in that truck.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Deano Bronc, thgdfathr

Rank 0

Apr 20, 2022

I like my Cooper Evolution MTs I put on my 04 F250. they are quieter then the Toyo open countries I had. But to be Honest that Cummins hides most noises in that truck.
Cummins in a Ford F-250? Not a 6.0 Power Stroke?

Rank VI

Apr 20, 2022

BFG A/T
Yokohama Geolander X-AT
Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T

I would pick one of those 3.
Steer clear of the Nitto's, I hate those tires, complete garbage on wet pavement and in the snow. I should just add that to my signature so I don't have to keep typing it. Sure they look aggressive for a hybrid, but I will never buy again.

I see some hate about the Goodyear tires that come with the sasquatch package and I'm sort of liking them. Never liked Goodyear before, but they handle well in rain and snow. Sure they toss rocks, but that's what my running boards are for.
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
Deano Bronc, Jakob1972

Trusted and Carefree

Apr 20, 2022

Hey Bronco Nation,

I would say it depends alot on how you want to use your truck. If you just want something that looks more aggressive, well, any of these choices would do. If you want to go out and play in the Georgia clay, I would be tempted to look at a M/T or straight up mudder. It will be louder on the street, but much, much better off-road. But as always, YMMV :)
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
Jakob1972