Transfer case Swaps.

Brahmco
Jul 09, 2020

Rank 0

Jul 09, 2020

My 1979 has the np 203 all wheel drive case installed with a part time conversion. I purchased an NP 208 to swap into my Bronco. I did a mock up and found that the 208 Front output shaft location will cause me to have to redesign the factory transmission cross member with a big notch in it so the drive shaft does not hit it.
I know The 205 is what everyone wants to put in but I’m not building a rock crawler and wouldn’t mind loosing 150 lbs by going to an aluminum cased design. Also the 205 gearing is not even 2:1 factory in low range. Has anyone tried a later model transfer case swap? Or even an atlas swap?
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 09, 2020

Rank VI

Aug 09, 2020

I have the same setup in mine - 203 converted to part time. I'm planning on converting mine back to full time. What is your issue with the way it is now? Weight? Seems like a lot of work to save a few pounds.
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom

Rank 0

Aug 10, 2020

Well the weight loss is just a plus. I really looking for a better low range ratio. Much better engine braking when on the trail. I do plan on going to 4.56 gears and that should help some but 2.0 to 1 is still not a great low range.

On the point of keeping your 203, make sure you get the upgraded spider gear differential cage. My Bronco had that cheap stamped steel carrier cage and it was cracked in two places. I found a two piece cast Iron cage out of a wrecked Ram charger that had a 440 engine option. It seems other brands with the bigger engines got the stronger cage.

Rank VI

Aug 14, 2020

What is the consensus choice of transfer case for the Gen 2 Bronco? I’m shopping now and would rather not change another, ever!

Rank 0

Aug 17, 2020

Well for direct swap it would be a 205. For aftermarket I would think Atlas but I have yet to read of one in a generation 2 Bronco. Problem is that if you had the full time 203 it really tight to put a 205 on because the transfer case adapter is so short. But if you had the 205 case and adapter it’s much longer and you cannot swap to a 203 easily either. From what I have read the C6 output shafts are different lengths to accomplish this. Not like the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Gen Bronco that have wider frame spacing and you had some great aluminum cases made which swap across all of those generations.
Commodore

Rank III

Jan 12, 2022

My 78' has a BW1345 (2.72:1 ratio) with notched crossmember.