Towing capacity is too low

johndeerefarmer
Aug 09, 2020

Rank III

Aug 09, 2020

Who agrees with me that the towing capacity is too low? I understand the shorter WB on the two door version would have a lower capacity for stability but the four door could easily be 5000 lbs. My SxS, 12' trailer, tools and supplies weighs more than 3500 lbs....

Are you listening Ford? Thanks JDF
4x4xFORD, TXBronco
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 09, 2020

Rank V

Aug 09, 2020

Who agrees with me that the towing capacity is too low? I understand the shorter WB on the two door version would have a lower capacity for stability but the four door could easily be 5000 lbs. My SxS, 12' trailer, tools and supplies weighs more than 3500 lbs....

Are you listening Ford? Thanks JDF
kia and Tesla can tow more than the Bronco , I hope Ford can up the capacity .
meandeane, johndeerefarmer

Rank V

Aug 09, 2020

kia and Tesla can tow more than the Bronco , I hope Ford can up the capacity .

Well... it’s going to be hard to beat an EV in towing. But I agree... it should at least be closer to the Ranger! (Starts 3500 and gos up to 7500)
Broncofly

Rank V

Aug 09, 2020

Yeah, I agree with this. I know the Wrangler is at 3500lbs but Bronco should be able to up this to 5000lbs. It really would fall in the sweet spot for this size of vehicle. I know many factors go into this. Please Ford...5000lbs on the 4 dr
SierraHotelBronco, johndeerefarmer

Rank VI

Aug 09, 2020

Yeah, I agree with this. I know the Wrangler is at 3500lbs but Bronco should be able to up this to 5000lbs. It really would fall in the sweet spot for this size of vehicle. I know many factors go into this. Please Ford...5000lbs on the 4 dr

Shocks, frame and axles......better for crawling over rocks are worse for towing......besides big wobbly tires. I'm sure more will come later.
A big square Lightening Blue FE with puffy tires.....and a CB antenna for good measure! ;-)
moze

Rank V

Aug 09, 2020

Here's why is doesn't, Jeep's max is 3500. Also if you need a tow vehicle a bronco and even a Wrangler aren't on the board then

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Aug 09, 2020

I too would like to see a bit more tow capacity. Even 4500#'s would make jeep look bad! lol I dont see why they cant give 5K to us with a class 3 receiver.

L.R.

Rank 0

Aug 09, 2020

The Bronco's sort wheelbase and coilover rear suspension work against it for towing. Springs strong enough for a greater tongue weight would give an unnecessarily harsh ride all the rest of the time. Plus, the tall, flexible-sidewall tires would give a mushy, unstable feeling.
If you need more towing capacity, get yourself an F150 for that.
Hey, wait a minute....

Rank V

Aug 10, 2020

The Bronco's sort wheelbase and coilover rear suspension work against it for towing. Springs strong enough for a greater tongue weight would give an unnecessarily harsh ride all the rest of the time. Plus, the tall, flexible-sidewall tires would give a mushy, unstable feeling.
Hey, wait a minute....
I will be getting rid of my F150 for the Bronco...no doubt about it. I know the towing hit is coming. Doesn’t hurt to hope for a little less of an impact.
moze

Rank V

Aug 10, 2020

The bronco should AT LEAST be able to tow it's own weight.
GaryB2220, johndeerefarmer
NC_Pinz

Aug 10, 2020

The whole notion of coil springs and wheelbase for the 4-door's low towing capacity doesn't make sense. My FJCruiser had a 5000 lb towing capacity and it's wheelbase was probably shorter than the 4-door, and it had rear coil springs with solid axle and a coilover front with IFS.
moze, johndeerefarmer

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Aug 10, 2020

Our Ram is is coil spring all around and it has been a FANTASTIC vehicle!

L.R.

Rank IV

Aug 10, 2020

I bet its a engine cooling issue due to the size of the front air inlet. A similar thing occurred between the wrangler and gladiator.

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

Rank 0

Aug 10, 2020

But Ford doesn't want to sell you just one vehicle that does EVERYTHING.
Get the Bronco to satisfy your Walter Mitty aspirations (is that reference too dated?). Get a Mustang to go fast, and an F150 to drag your crap around.
Cha-ching!

Rank VI

Aug 10, 2020

But Ford doesn't want to sell you just one vehicle that does EVERYTHING
This... I even saw Mike Levine on twitter responding to tow questions with "get a ranger".
[O- 725 -O]

Rank V

Aug 10, 2020

Tow capacity why I didn't reserve a Bronco, I own a 69 and need a tow vehicle for it. If I wanted another to sit in the garage, I would just get another early Bronco.
I thought I retired, then I started restoring my Bronco!
69 Bronco Sport Wagon 351w 3spd on the floor,
2nd owner same family!
johndeerefarmer

Rank III

Aug 10, 2020

Hey, wait a minute....
I ALREADY own a '17 F150 and '20 F350....... 5000 lbs would only put 500 lb or so on the tongue
JasonF

Rank V

Aug 10, 2020

The bronco should AT LEAST be able to tow it's own weight.
Thats the only reasonable request I've read so far. You should be able to pull your buddies bronco out if it gets into a bind.
JasonF

Rank V

Aug 10, 2020

This... I even saw Mike Levine on twitter responding to tow questions with "get a ranger".
Did he forget the last bronco they built could tow 7000 pounds? How is he so surprised that they lowered the tow rating and people are annoyed by this?
johndeerefarmer

Rank III

Aug 10, 2020

What a douche. Did he forget the last bronco they built could tow 7000 pounds? How is he so surprised that they lowered the tow rating and people are annoyed by this?
He should have stayed editor at pickuptrucks.com.........