Thoughts on travelling in groups…

Bob Blaylock
Feb 21, 2022

Rank V

Feb 21, 2022

This is related to a thread I had started on Bronco6G before I was banished from there; so now I am starting over, here on this forum.

@Seanette are waiting on a Bronco that we ordered last October.

Neither of us has been much into travel, but the anticipation of the Bronco has instilled, in me, a great desire, once we have it, to go out and have some adventures in it.

Being an old man, and not particular prone to take needless risks, I am aware that some of the places that I want to go and see are remote places, with spotty or nonexistent cell coverage, where a break down or other adverse event could result in us being stranded with no obvious way to get back to civilization.

For that reason, above all else, I am thinking that it would; be wise for any such trips to involve groups of like-minded people, in multiple vehicles, so that nobody is at risk of being left stranded and helpless without others around. Of course, the opportunities for socialization are a bonus, as well.

There's a lot to discuss, ranging from what sort of two-way radios we ought to have in our vehicles to maintain group contact, to patterns of smaller groups breaking off for sub-trips, to finding suitable lodging, and so on.

Some of this was covered in the thread on Bronco6G, but now, I'm starting over.

I will add something here that I didn't post on Bronco6G. At various times since starting that thread on Bronco6G, I've spent time playing with Google Maps, mapping out possible places to see, and routes to see them. I've basically envisioned two trips: One to take place in winter, to see Death Valley and some locations thereabout, and one for Summer, mainly to see the ghost town Bodie and also Pikes Peak in Colorado. I'm attaching text files to this post containing URL's that map parts of these out in Google Maps.

I guess I'll leave this post off, for now, and see what anyone else has to contribute.

Attachments

May the Ford be with you, always.
On Order: Badlands 4-door 2.7, Lux Package, Velocity Blue, non-Sasquatch
Darrel, Speed Devil

Libations MOD

Feb 21, 2022

I would look at some simple FRS radios that are handheld and will be more than fine for just taking a short trip with a group. And they're pretty cheap, I think most can be around $50 for a couple.
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Mal, AcesandEights

Rank V

Feb 21, 2022

I would look at some simple FRS radios that are handheld and will be more than fine for just taking a short trip with a group. And they're pretty cheap, I think most can be around $50 for a couple.

I was figuring I'd install either a good high-end GMRS radio or a CB radio, or both, in my vehicle, and have a few portable handheld units as well to carry away from the vehicle.

I envision some scenarios where one vehicle might want to venture far enough from the others that it'd be best not to spare too much expense in making sure that however far one vehicle wanders, it isn't at risk of losing radio contact with the rest of the group. Short-range handheld units would be better suited for when people venture out on foot, away from the vehicles. FRS might even be adequate for that.

Libations MOD

Feb 21, 2022

I was figuring I'd install either a good high-end GMRS radio or a CB radio, or both, in my vehicle, and have a few portable handheld units as well to carry away from the vehicle.

I envision some scenarios where one vehicle might want to venture far enough from the others that it'd be best not to spare too much expense in making sure that however far one vehicle wanders, it isn't at risk of losing radio contact with the rest of the group. Short-range handheld units would be better suited for when people venture out on foot, away from the vehicles. FRS might even be adequate for that.
Yea, GMRS is a very simple and cheap license to get too. Just fill it out and pay LOL But, everyone has to have the same GMRS frequencies then. So, that's what makes FRS a better option and can get mobile up to i think like 50 watts but that really doesnt matter as all are line of sight unless you use repeaters
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered

Rank V

Feb 21, 2022

Yea, GMRS is a very simple and cheap license to get too. Just fill it out and pay LOL But, everyone has to have the same GMRS frequencies then. So, that's what makes FRS a better option and can get mobile up to i think like 50 watts but that really doesnt matter as all are line of sight unless you use repeaters

My understanding is that FRS is a subset of GMRS, some of the same frequencies, at lower power.

I had been wondering about the line-of-sight thing, and whether it was a limitation of GMSR/FRS.

That'd be a good point in favor of having the vehicles at least, equipped with CB as well. On foot, people aren't likely to wander far enough apart for it to be an issue, but vehicles could easily wander far enough from one another for that to be a problem.

It'd be very good if someone out there made a good combination GMRS/CB unit to mount in a vehicle.

Libations MOD

Feb 21, 2022

My understanding is that FRS is a subset of GMRS, some of the same frequencies, at lower power.

I had been wondering about the line-of-sight thing, and whether it was a limitation of GMSR/FRS.

That'd be a good point in favor of having the vehicles at least, equipped with CB as well. On foot, people aren't likely to wander far enough apart for it to be an issue, but vehicles could easily wander far enough from one another for that to be a problem.

It'd be very good if someone out there made a good combination GMRS/CB unit to mount in a vehicle.
All radios (CB, FRS, GMRS) are technically a line of sight, unlike HAM/VHF/etc that you use a tower/repeater to gain a longer distance. Line of sight is relative too, I might not technically see you but the frequencies can reach each unit.
FRS/GMRS have some similar frequencies but GMRS is allowed more watts and like 8-10 more channels plus simplex.

Rank VI

Feb 22, 2022

Join a group of 4x4 that accept more than just Jeeps. My first group ride was this past Saturday. They had extra radios to lend out. It was 28 Jeeps and one Bronco (me). We rode 45 miles on Forest Service Roads up and down mountains crossing 6 creeks. Learned alot about what the Bronco can do.
2021 4-door; Adv. 4x4; 2.3L; 10spd Auto; Area 51; Black Diamond; Mid pkg; door bags.
Mattwings, 73chesney

That's a terrible idea, when do we start?

Feb 22, 2022

All radios (CB, FRS, GMRS) are technically a line of sight, unlike HAM/VHF/etc that you use a tower/repeater to gain a longer distance. Line of sight is relative too, I might not technically see you but the frequencies can reach each unit.
FRS/GMRS have some similar frequencies but GMRS is allowed more watts and like 8-10 more channels plus simplex.
Actually, there are GRMS repeaters out there as well. You can check here to see what's available in your area. https://mygmrs.com
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather

Libations MOD

Feb 22, 2022

Actually, there are GRMS repeaters out there as well. You can check here to see what's available in your area. https://mygmrs.com
correct on the simplex channels. Only a handful (30 maybe) compared to HAM repeaters (1500+) in Colorado. Guessing that's probably pretty similar across the US?

Rank VI

Feb 22, 2022

I could not open the attachments. Did not seem to recognize the format.
Anyway, I have been to Death Valley & plan to go again about the end of Oct. or early Nov.
Also interested in Bodie & return trip on Cerro Gordo, in warm weather. Last time the top of Cerro Gordo was under more than a little snow(!).
Good to go in a group. 3 vehicles minimum. 5 or more is better.
We have been using both GMRS (little hand held units) and CB, both build in & hand held with good success.
Still waiting on my Bronco but not a problem, 2015 J**p still runs like new.
ResidualGenius

Rank V

Feb 22, 2022

Only a fool goes into unfamiliar territory alone. If you know the territory and it's even slightly risky, you are doubly a fool...
'21 AMB Basesquatch 2 Door. 2.7. 569 days from reservation to delivery
Darrel, ResidualGenius

Rank V

Feb 22, 2022

I could not open the attachments. Did not seem to recognize the format.

They're just plain text files. Any basic text editor should be able to open them.

If you're running Windows, then I recommend Notepad++.

Rank V

Feb 22, 2022

Only a fool goes into unfamiliar territory alone. If you know the territory and it's even slightly risky, you are doubly a fool...
When I was younger I did it all the time, mainly in CO. Always map your route, bring extra supplies, and tell someone where you are going. These days there are satellite devices to use for text & phone if no cell signal. Dont push it too hard if alone either. Winter/snow is much more dangerous alone than summer/fall.

As for the trip. Sounds fun. I have a few death valley stories as a child. One was in summer in "Bad Water" location. I fell out of the over driver seat bed in our motorhome on my head. My late vietnam marine dad (cancer 2013) woke up to see what happened, thankfully I was ok. But he quickly realized our generator was broken at 3am. Thus. No A/C. It was so hot that trip we had to stick my 3yr old sister in the freezer to cool her down. This was in the 1980s. Dad had no choice but to jump on one of our quads and drive 60 miles with his 12g shotgun strapped on leaving my mom and 3 kids behind. No cellphones. Nobody around for miles. He got the part needed and drove back to fix. All ended well. What an ADVENTURE! One of many.

Always wanted to visit Pikes Peak. Many places to go in CO and on way to CO.

If you want another bronco to join and I'm not busy with work or family obligations, would love to go on behalf of one cancelled 6g member to another...cancelled for no reason at all. Lol. Fml.

Crazy times we are in these days fellas. Id much rather be stuck alone in death valley high heat temps similar to where I live now (we compete for highest heat each year) than stuck present day in a big city with a cellphone surrounded by fruit cakes.
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992

That's a terrible idea, when do we start?

Feb 22, 2022

correct on the simplex channels. Only a handful (30 maybe) compared to HAM repeaters (1500+) in Colorado. Guessing that's probably pretty similar across the US?
Looking at the list of repeaters on that website it looks like about 1,100 nationwide.
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather

Rank V

Feb 22, 2022

Death Valley and Pike's Peak, I've decided, represent roughly the lowest and highest places to which I can feasibly drive my Bronco (once I have it).

But Death Valley, I would only want to go there in the winter. One of the text files attached to my OP covers a lot of locations in and around Death Valley.

I'm particularly fascinated, as well, by a near-ghost town, called Ballarat. As of the most recent information I could find, it has a population of one, an old guy who runs a store there. I hope he lasts until I get a chance to visit.

Nearby, there's the wreck of a truck that is claimed to have once been possessed by Tex Watson, of the Charles Manson gang. Farther beyond Ballarat, is the ruins of the Barker Ranch, where Manson and his followers lived for a while. Sort of a mini-ghost town of its own.

I've been fascinated by Bodie since I saw a documentary about it, some years ago. Of course, there, I would only want to go in the summer. I don't think you can even get there in the winter. W.S. Bodey, after whom the town was named (misspelling his name in the process) died in a blizzard in November of 1859. His body was not found until the following spring. That's not a good place to be in the winter, probably worse than Death Valley in the summer.

If I ever make it to Pike's Peak, it'd make sense to combine that with a trip to Bodie, since both places need to be visited in the summer. Aside from being, as far as I know, about the highest place that is reasonable for me to try to drive to, I'm also fascinated by the donuts. Reportedly, they make donuts there that, due to the high altitude, are rather different than donuts made at lower altitudes. You have to eat them there, because if you take them down to lower altitude, they collapse. I'm thinking I might want to set up a video camera in my Bronco, just to film a Pike's Peak donut on its way down.

Libations MOD

Feb 22, 2022

Looking at the list of repeaters on that website it looks like about 1,100 nationwide.
The CO ones are not even close to any good trails either mainly cities: Denver, Colo Springs, Pueblo, etc
and NE/KS/SD/OK is bare too would have to be a line of sight for Storm chasing too. Was thinking maybe could use it there but not really
14U

Rank VI

Feb 22, 2022

Yes to Pike's Peak Donuts. In the area, consider Mt Evans. Similar altitude.

Libations MOD

Feb 22, 2022

Yes to Pike's Peak Donuts. In the area, consider Mt Evans. Similar altitude.
Mt Evans highest paved road in NA, Pike Peak stands #2 both super easy drives but Echo Lake Lodge wins for food and staff!!!
Darrel

Trusted and Carefree

Feb 22, 2022

Its variable. We have an awsome repeater network in the SW- Check out https://swcrs.org/ I can talk basically all over New Mexico, Arizona, and part of Texas just by hitting one of our networked repeaters. We are getting a couple on the Front Range (mainly in the CO Springs area) joining in soon, so it may actually work for you.
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
JoergH, ResidualGenius

Libations MOD

Feb 22, 2022

Its variable. We have an awsome repeater network in the SW- Check out https://swcrs.org/ I can talk basically all over New Mexico, Arizona, and part of Texas just by hitting one of our networked repeaters. We are getting a couple on the Front Range (mainly in the CO Springs area) joining in soon, so it may actually work for you.
Per the rules "commercial, business, or for-profit" are a no go. Guessing there are exceptions to those for 501c3 and emergency communications, definitely worth looking more into but don't head that way much. Maybe other groups in the midwest like SWCRS