Badlands - Wanna be heritage and dog hauler build

Lots O Fords
Jan 03, 2024

Rank IV

Jan 03, 2024

I have put bits and pieces in deferent threads and I thought I would put the journey here like so many have.
I had two employees that really want a bronco and have never 4 wheeled, so we took them to off-rodeo in Nevada on the 4 hour off road x-perience open to non-bronco owners. My wife and I had a bronco to ourselves. While our off road livery includes a 1947 Willy's (modified), 93 Bronco XLT, 2012 Polaris RZR and a F-350 Super Duty we were impressed with the new Bronco.
I researched the different trims and knew the 2 door, lockers, sway bar disconnect, V6 and lux were desirable for how we would use it. This brought me to a Badlands/Sasquatch or Heritage Limited. Within a couple days, I had put a down payment on a 23 Heritage Limited 2 door.
Then the strike and my HL was canceled (still have my name on it). So I shopped for a green Badlands with my options. Found it a couple states away with no markup.
I had the dealer paint the top and grille oxford white. Powder coat the wheel rings white, add rock lights and ditch lights by the mirrors and ship it.

Here it is when I did the deal and when it arrived at the house. Note that our Off-Rodeo trip to Moab and joining the Bronco Nation was done between buying and receiving it.

OrangecrushBronco, UserError

Rank IV

Jan 03, 2024

The same day I received it, I added rocblox front mud flaps because of all the good info found here on the forum. Then I took it to have Xpel 10 mil clear put on all the surfaces painted green except the tailgate. Had ceramic coating added and a side strip. Removed the Badlands decal.
Picked it up on a Friday, took it to our first Bronco show that I discovered on here and made some new friends.
Next day, out to the desert and box canyon.

OrangecrushBronco, Bschurr

Rank IV

Jan 03, 2024

I just did not like the white badlands grille and I ordered an OE heritage grille. It is being painted now.
Also in the "Pile O Parts" is a front light bar.
I added letter inserts for the BRONCO on the dash from Tufskinz in Eruption Green, and I think I will change to yellow. I used their products on my Super Duty tailgate, and after 7 years in the Arizona sun, it still looks new.

I gathered up my recovery gear, compressor, etc and I am now working on a custom 2 dog crate to hold my German Shepherds and the gear I want to carry. Spent New Years day making a wooden mockup.

UserError, TK1215

Rank V

Jan 04, 2024

The same day I received it, I added rocblox front mud flaps because of all the good info found here on the forum. Then I took it to have Xpel 10 mil clear put on all the surfaces painted green except the tailgate. Had ceramic coating added and a side strip. Removed the Badlands decal.
Picked it up on a Friday, took it to our first Bronco show that I discovered on here and made some new friends.
Next day, out to the desert and box canyon.

Looking good! Thanks for sharing.
Gyoja

Rank IV

Jan 15, 2024

I mentioned that I did Xpel paint protection 10 mil. Then a ceramic coating. I have never done any of that stuff before so I have been skeptical.

This weekend I went out with a buddy in his side by side. There were parts of the trail where he was dodging sticker branches coming in. I could just hear them running down the side.
Well, picture one is the kind of brush we went through and the other is our lunch stop. I guess the stuff works.

KIMG0166.JPG KIMG0158_01_BURST1000158_COVER.JPG
TK1215

Bucephalus

Jan 17, 2024

love this build. the green looks great with the white.
For a "knock-off" heritage, it's pretty awesome looking.

Rank IV

Jan 17, 2024

love this build. the green looks great with the white.
For a "knock-off" heritage, it's pretty awesome looking.

Thank you. I just picked up the last pieces I need to replace the badlands grill with an OEM Heritage grille.
Adrenalin, Sven

Rank II

Jan 17, 2024

That looks great! Nice job fixing it how you like, that is always fun.
Lots O Fords

Rank IV

Jan 22, 2024

So this weekend I finished my Heritage Limited grille install and changed my dash "BRONCO" from green inserts to cyber orange to better set off the badlands trim.

KIMG0173.JPGKIMG0201.JPGKIMG0175.JPG
TK1215, Adrenalin

Rank IV

Feb 18, 2024

I finally got my crate done.
I have been working on this project since I got the Bronco in December.
It's easy to get in and out. My buddy approved.
KIMG0242.JPG
KIMG0244.JPG
KIMG0247.JPG
Dusmw, UserError

Rank IV

Feb 18, 2024

I still have to do some design changes to the rear shelf that supports the crate.
I want to eliminate the center support so I can still open the OE storage.
This is the first attempt.
KIMG0239.JPG
Adrenalin, TK1215

Rank IV

Mar 03, 2024

I think I add stuff here so I can remember my progress...lol
I remade the shelf for the crate out of steel and now I can get to the factory storage and jack. It will fit one of the home Depot ridged boxes underneath and my ez-flate 4 hose setup.
It's very solid.
I also marked my tailgate table to indicate where my air compressor sits. And can add some Molly bags to it.
The doggies are going wheeling!
KIMG0289.JPG
KIMG0295.JPG
KIMG0308.JPG
KIMG0288.JPG
Dusmw, Kenneth

O-===-O BRONCO, Trail Rated is standard

Mar 04, 2024

I don't know what it is but the eye test tells me this looks better then the real Heritage. Nicely done! The color combo is great.
Deano Bronc, Lots O Fords

Rank IV

Mar 25, 2024

With a dogless trip to Moab coming up, I made a gear skid that slides right in when the dog crate comes out. The shelf I made for the dog crate allows access to the jack and oem storage. It also leaves a storage cubby underneath either the crate or skid. The shelf is what helps lock them both to the Bronco.
The boxes carry my compressor and 4 hose set up, tools, camera and recovery gear and a little more if I choose to stack them.
I decided on the Home Depot Ridged boxes for a couple reasons. The stack, they a reasonably priced and they are wat my Side x Side and pickup are set up for. Some boxes just swap from one vehicle to another.
These boxes have feet that interlock or stack boxes. I put pegs (Allen head bolts) in the skid floor that align with those feet to reduce movement and ensure proper placement before strapping them down.
The cooler and the boxes all have their latches facing outward and were spaced so they are easy to open and not interfere with each other.
I used 3/4 square steel tubing for the framework. The framework is all welded together. A aluminum sheet for the surface. All mounting ties are bolted thru the aluminum and into the steel.
KIMG0448.JPG
KIMG0450.JPG
kimg0457.jpgkimg0454.jpgkimg0455.jpgkimg0458.jpg
Dusmw, JoergH

Rank IV

Mar 25, 2024

I also added Bronco script this week.
KIMG0398_01_BURST1000398_COVER.JPG
Deano Bronc, UserError

O-===-O BRONCO, Trail Rated is standard

Mar 26, 2024

With a dogless trip to Moab coming up, I made a gear skid that slides right in when the dog crate comes out. The shelf I made for the dog crate allows access to the jack and oem storage. It also leaves a storage cubby underneath either the crate or skid. The shelf is what helps lock them both to the Bronco.
The boxes carry my compressor and 4 hose set up, tools, camera and recovery gear and a little more if I choose to stack them.
I decided on the Home Depot Ridged boxes for a couple reasons. The stack, they a reasonably priced and they are wat my Side x Side and pickup are set up for. Some boxes just swap from one vehicle to another.
These boxes have feet that interlock or stack boxes. I put pegs (Allen head bolts) in the skid floor that align with those feet to reduce movement and ensure proper placement before strapping them down.
The cooler and the boxes all have their latches facing outward and were spaced so they are easy to open and not interfere with each other.
I used 3/4 square steel tubing for the framework. The framework is all welded together. A aluminum sheet for the surface. All mounting ties are bolted thru the aluminum and into the steel.
KIMG0448.JPG
KIMG0450.JPG
kimg0457.jpgkimg0454.jpgkimg0455.jpgkimg0458.jpg
I'm sorry there was a Cobra in the photos and that took all my attention. Were you saying something? πŸ˜†
JoergH, Lots O Fords

Rank III

Mar 26, 2024

I'm sorry there was a Cobra in the photos and that took all my attention. Were you saying something? πŸ˜†

The cool rides in the background distracted me, too… 🀩
2023 Wildtrak 4D Lux MIC Tow Oxford White
Lots O Fords

Rank IV

Mar 26, 2024

The "not a real heritage" goes with the "not a real cobra"..
UserError

Rank IV

Mar 26, 2024

The cool rides in the background distracted me, too… 🀩

Thanks. The jeep I've had since 1975 and the cobra was a long time dream.
UserError, Sven

That's a terrible idea, when do we start?

Mar 26, 2024

Not to mention a Willys
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather
Unicorn, Lots O Fords