The price of the sway bar disconnect

samanator
Dec 31, 2020

Rank V

Dec 31, 2020

While I have to work until midnight today I have lull times waiting for emails to come in. I've been trying to figure out the cost (value) of the sway bar disconnect in the pricing. I took all Four Door OBX, BL and WT, made them all white as the color, all are LUX package, all have MIC top, added SAS and 2.7 w/10sp Auto to the BL and OBX, added sound deading headliner to all (manually on the BL), Running boards to the WT and BL (Manually), Rock rails manually to the OBX and WT, Keyless , Steel bumper and upgraded bash plates to the OBX and WT (manually on the OBX for the extra plates), leather interior on all three, and towing package on all three. I realize I did not need the keyless, headliner and towing package but I also want to get actual cost apples to apples minus the sway bar disconnect on all three the way I would want them configured (with both the running boards that can be swapped for the Rock Rails). Summing all these loaded versions including the manual entries to make them the same (minus the sway on the OBX and WT) the BL comes to a total of $61,640, the WT is $59,570 and the OBX is $59,600. This makes the delta from BL to the WT $2070 and the delta from the BL to the OBX $2040. For argument sake let's say the extra GOAT mode on the WT and BL versus the OBX is worth $30 then the sway bar disconnect is valued at $2040. The thing I can't account for is the cost of painted mirrors and handles on the OBX and WT versus unpainted on BL, so maybe set that at $40 until we have collision part prices. Given these assumptions, the sway bar disconnect is priced at Apx: $2000.

For the manual items, I'm assuming you would need to be able to buy the OEM Ford parts online at the same value that they are priced in B&P and install them yourself (Assuming the OBX has the extra mounts for the upgraded steel plates). This would be this break down of things to buy that cannot be added in B&P:

BL- Running Boards ($395), Headliner Sound Deadening($495)
WT - Rock Rails ($595)
OBX - Rock Rails ($595), Extra bash plates ($395)
nic, Witchdoctor68

Rank V

Dec 31, 2020

There's also the steel rear bumper, which is standard on BL and isn't available on the WT or OBX. I'd expect it to be around $700-$800 through parts.

Rank VI

Dec 31, 2020

Interesting. I am purchasing a Badlands and one of the options that is important to me is the sway bar disconnect, especially as it relates to the independent front suspension (IFS). The IFS is a hindrance off road, at least in many cases. I want more front axle droop. I recently watched a video of a FJ that rolled and I think it was related to the lack of articulation of the IFS. I want more articulation for various reasons. I really appreciate the IFS for ride quality, but the sway bar disconnect is a "must have" for me, as I don't want to give up any more articulation than is absolutely necessary. I'm paying for the High Package for one or two things and I'll pay $2k for the sway bar disconnect. The rest is BS, but I have to get it for the very few other things I want.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Bronc96, samanator

Rank V

Dec 31, 2020

There's also the steel rear bumper, which is standard on BL and isn't available on the WT or OBX. I'd expect it to be around $700-$800 through parts.
I accounted for that. It's on the third line down with the bash plates (see text below).

"Steel bumper and upgraded bash plates to the OBX and WT (manually on the OBX for the extra plates)"

That is a B&P item that can be added so it not a manual add like the plates are on the OBX.

I've checked my math about 5 times and I stick by my $2000 price for the sway bar disconnect, but thanks for checking. As noted the only unknown variable is what to charge for painted mirrors. A guess is the best I can do there...worst case it drops it to $1900. Based on insurance adjuster vales that may be a better number. We would hope the factory could do better, but it is 6 items to tape up and paint.

Rank V

Jan 01, 2021

I accounted for that. It's on the third line down with the bash plates (see text below).

"Steel bumper and upgraded bash plates to the OBX and WT (manually on the OBX for the extra plates)"

That is a B&P item that can be added so it not a manual add like the plates are on the OBX.

I've checked my math about 5 times and I stick by my $2000 price for the sway bar disconnect, but thanks for checking. As noted the only unknown variable is what to charge for painted mirrors. A guess is the best I can do there...worst case it drops it to $1900. Based on insurance adjuster vales that may be a better number. We would hope the factory could do better, but it is 6 items to tape up and paint.
I saw that. Just saying the steel rear bumper is not available for the WT or OBX. It's standard on BL and BD, but it's otherwise unavailable.
samanator

Rank V

Jan 01, 2021

I saw that. Just saying the steel rear bumper is not available for the WT or OBX. It's standard on BL and BD, but it's otherwise unavailable.
OK, I missed you said rear steel bumper. Good point, but it seems that Ford has been curiously quiet about it and the BadLand I saw at the Orlando Auto show that Ford claimed was 100% on the exterior did not have a steel rear bumper. No Bronco seen in public or in Factory photos has a steel rear bumper. I think it is also supposed to be on the First edition. I would think they would need it for crash testing? It possibly explains why you can add the headliner now on the WT and OBX, but not the BL. I would guess it weighs more and they are already accounting for it. Seems like a great question for the next QA with Ford? They need to show it before orders are due. If it's not going to be available then all the models that are supposed to have it should be cut in price by about $700. If that is the case then the sway bar disconnect would about $1300.
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Jan 01, 2021

They've built several with the steel rear. Here's a Black Diamond:

edit: Going through some pics; the Orlando Badlands has it:

Deano Bronc

Rank V

Jan 01, 2021

OK, that was not what I expected it to look like. I guess I expected something more angular and closer matching to the modular front bumper. Kind of like a Smittybuilt on a Jeep with the shackles on the back. This looks like it still is mostly a plastic cover. I found the photo of the group of various models and now can see the difference. The steel has the line and more tread on the top.
Smittybilt XRC Gen1 Rear Bumper (07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK)

Rank V

Jan 05, 2021

I ran build and price on a BL with MT tires and compared it to BL with SAS. The SAS cost under $900 more than the non-SAS. That makes the choice easy for me.