Test Trip in Vermont.

BuzzyBud
Feb 28, 2021

Rank VI

Feb 28, 2021

[RP][/RP]Testing the gpx upload function in Round-Up.

This is just a test of a sample scenic road trip on the Green Mountain National Forest South with a side trip up Skyline Drive. Once we know the location for our Vermont-based Off-Roadeo, we can develop potential trips for those who plan to combine their training with a scenic exploration of Vermont.

Please note: This is only a test! I have not yet travelled this route, but it does look interesting![FCLINK]View Round Up Event[/FCLINK]

Attachments

Ian Lacasse, BroncoPA65

Rank VI

Feb 28, 2021

@David
Oops! I may not have uploaded the gpx file correctly. It looked good while I was completing the Round-Up page.
I created a 61.5-mile trip using GAIA GPS and exported the gpx file to Round-Up.
As I view the event locations, I see where the gpx file button is active. Not sure if you can view the trip I created.
Could you please take a look at your end?
Thank you!
TK1215, BroncoPA65

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Feb 28, 2021

SCCA runs hill climbs up Equinox. This year its August 7-8 Actually its the VSCCA

Bronc96, TK1215

Rank VI

Feb 28, 2021

To complete this test of the gpx upload into Round-Up, I am seeking a volunteer who has GAIA GPS loaded on your computer.
If you do, could you try the following?
1. Open up the "View Round-Up Event"
2. Locate the "Locations" tab and select it.
3. Look for the yellow button titled "Save GPX" and press it.
4. It should download the gpx file to your computer.
5. Open up GAIA GPS and import the file from your download files folder.
6. Tell me if it works!
Thank you!

@Stereo I remember you stated in another thread that you still use GAIA GPS. Could you perform this test?

Rank VI

Feb 28, 2021

For those who might be curious about Skyline Drive, referred to in the description above, I have attached a drone video for your viewing pleasure.

Level3Looper, Sdakotabronco

Rank VI

Feb 28, 2021

I am certainly interested, my son has a JK, is he welcome? Wife and I visited Manchester February of 2020,
Skyline Drive had a seasonal shut down, I think until May. How about early October, great foliage.
Would need to book lodging in this area early this time of year. Stayed at the Kimpton Inn. Good restaurant/bar.
Dog friendly, great to sit by the fireplace and meet everyones favorite four legged friend. Count me in.

Good info. Thank you!
Please keep in mind, I am attempting to test the gpx file upload function within Round-Up. This is only a test!
At my end, the functionality seems to work fine. What I have noticed is how Round-Up will not display the route within the function. It will allow you to access the file and download it to your device. You then need suitable navigation software, such as GAIA GPS, to import the file so you can see the route.
It is my hope a BN member will test this on their device. Once the testing is complete, we can create other routes. I have an interesting Class 4 route ready.

Rank V

Mar 01, 2021

To complete this test of the gpx upload into Round-Up, I am seeking a volunteer who has GAIA GPS loaded on your computer.
6. Tell me if it works!
Thank you!

@Stereo I remember you stated in another thread that you still use GAIA GPS. Could you perform this test?

@BuzzyBud I will check this out too. I didn't see the file when looking on my Android smartphone, but will check it out on my laptop. I have the GAIA App on my phone.
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Mar 01, 2021

6. Tell me if it works!
Thank you!

So, on my iPhone I was able to download the file.....saved an image of the file, but there doesn’t appear to be an executable or way on the iPhone at least , to open it

Attachments

BuzzyBud

Rank V

Mar 01, 2021

I could try in on my Mac if you think it would make a difference.
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Mar 01, 2021

I could try in on my Mac if you think it would make a difference.
We are making progress! Yes, the first step is to download the file to your device, either iPhone or Mac. You will not be able to open the file!
Whichever device you prefer to use must have a nav software installed, such as GAIA GPS. You then need to open the nav app and import the file. The nav software will need you to find the file in the downloads folder and select it. I hope all this makes sense.
Sdakotabronco

Rank V

Mar 01, 2021

[RP][/RP]Testing the gpx upload function in Round-Up.

This is just a test of a sample scenic road trip in the Green Mountain National Forest South with a side trip up Skyline Drive. Once we know the location for our Vermont-based Off-Roadeo, we can develop potential trips for those who plan to combine their training with a scenic exploration of Vermont.

Please note: This is only a test! I have not yet traveled this route, but it does look interesting![FCLINK]View Round-Up Event[/FCLINK]

Rank V

Mar 01, 2021

We are making progress! Yes, the first step is to download the file to your device, either iPhone or Mac. You will not be able to open the file!
Whichever device you prefer to use must have a nav software installed, such as GAIA GPS. You then need to open the nav app and import the file. The nav software will need you to find the file in the downloads folder and select it. I hope all this makes sense.
Aw, I have onX Off-road GPS. I’ll see what I can do.
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Mar 01, 2021

Here is the GPX I downloaded into "GPX Viewer and Recorder" that I have from the Microsoft App Store. That being said, the file isn't visible om the BN App... at least at this point.

Vermont 210228-1.JPG
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Mar 01, 2021

Do we have any idea if GAIA will work with the screen or nav system in our new Broncos? thanks
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Mar 01, 2021

Here is the GPX I downloaded into "GPX Viewer and Recorder" that I have from the Microsoft App Store. That being said, the file isn't visible om the BN App... at least at this point.

View attachment 9592
Excellent! Yes, that is the trip I created!
I agree, Round-Up does not appear to display the trip route.

Rank V

Mar 01, 2021

Excellent! Yes, that is the trip I created!
I agree, Round-Up does not appear to display the trip route.

I new that you'd like that post! ;) They may be waiting to activate files until later. They aren't even in actual production yet!
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Mar 01, 2021

Do we have any idea if GAIA will work with the screen or nav system in our new Broncos? thanks

I do not know what kind of system we will get in our Broncos. Ford has talked about a Trail Maps function that may be able to import files. There is hope the system will support gpx files.
Even though we do not yet know what our Broncos will allow, there is much work to be done in the creation and export skills surrounding gpx files.

Rank VI

Mar 01, 2021

Aw, I have onX Off-road GPS. I’ll see what I can do.
I am sorry to say I only have knowledge of GAIA GPS. You nav software may be able to import a gpx file. It is worth a try! Based on previous posts, we now know the file I created is intact. That is step one!
BroncoPA65

Rank VI

Mar 01, 2021

So I was able to download it both on desktop and on mobile. From there I was able load it into a .gpx reading app on both as well.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Mar 01, 2021

Thank you to all who followed along and contributed to this thread. From my perspective, the test was a success. I now understand how Round-Up handles gpx files and what the user will see. It is a tool to help us live and share our adventures.

From this test, I also understand Round-Up is just one tool in our toolbox. We need a working knowledge of a navigation software tool and how to move files. This is not complicated work, but it does require a desire to experiment and make mistakes. Hopefully, from our mistakes, we learn the skills we need to live our adventures.

For those just beginning this journey, the following information might be helpful. I have attached below a link to a description of the three levels of membership in GAIA GPS navigation software. Also below is a YouTube video from Lifestyle Overland. They have several videos in their collection devoted to GAIA GPS which might help you.

Free vs. Membership vs. Premium Membership – Gaia GPS