Stock tires in the snow

Speed Devil
Oct 23, 2021

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Oct 23, 2021

Because half the country lives where it snows the second its fall, and quite a few of us live in such area

how does it drive in the snow with the factory tires? Remember when I had goodyears on my Ram that I had to take it easy and go 4hi, gotta default to 4hi with my Yokohama Muds, curious if Im gonna have to do the same as well
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2021

Rank VI

Oct 23, 2021

I'm going to guess that the stock tires will be just okay in the snow. Curious as well to see the feedback. I live in Wyoming and driving in the snow is definitely something to be dealt with here.

Libations MOD

Oct 23, 2021

Because half the country lives where it snows the second its fall, and quite a few of us live in such area

how does it drive in the snow with the factory tires? Remember when I had goodyears on my Ram that I had to take it easy and go 4hi, gotta default to 4hi with my Yokohama Muds, curious if Im gonna have to do the same as well
factory tires are just fine in snow as long as the driver knows how to drive in snow.
Never changed tires for any Colorado winter since I moved out here in 1996
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Speed Devil

Rank V

Oct 23, 2021

I your worried have them sipped. Problem solved. Always sipped my BFG KO's and they rocked pulling sled trailers in the mountains. Sipping works.
Past - 87 Suz Sam; 76 ChevBlaz14 Rubi 2 Dr -35's First Auto 4wd. Ox Wht 2dr Base SAS, bumper, Flr-lin, 2.7 aux switches.
Speed Devil

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Oct 23, 2021

I'm probably going to Blizzaks. or sipped KOs and carry a set of chains because this state doesn't believe in plowing until there are people stranded and 100s of accidents.

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Oct 23, 2021

If your worried have them sipped. Problem solved. Always sipped my BFG KO's and they rocked pulling sled trailers in the mountains. Sipping works.

Just looked it up, I'm definitely doing that, just gotta do my hw and see who can do it
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics

Rank V

Oct 23, 2021

Les Schwab out west does it all there stores.
Past - 87 Suz Sam; 76 ChevBlaz14 Rubi 2 Dr -35's First Auto 4wd. Ox Wht 2dr Base SAS, bumper, Flr-lin, 2.7 aux switches.
Speed Devil

Rank VI

Oct 23, 2021

What are the stock tires?

I've driven in snowy conditions since I was about 13 years old. I think good tires make all the difference, on and off road, and suggest at a minimum you use a "three peak" tire in snowy conditions. Better than that is a dedicated snow tire. Yeah, it's more expensive, it's more time consuming, to have two sets up tires and swap them out, but if you really care or need better traction, a dedicated snow tires makes a world of difference. Sure, we've all driven around (carefully) in granny's station wagon on three bald highway tires and one recently replaced due to the air wearing through, but if you drive the same vehicle back to back with M&S, three-peak, and dedicated snow tires you'll be surprised. You may only need a M&S or three-peak, but if you need a "snow" tire, go get 'em. If you use something like a M&S, a three-peak and then put something like a Blizzak on...although you may not really need the performance of a dedicated snow tire, you'll understand the difference.

Three Peak
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Deano Bronc

Rank V

Oct 25, 2021

With 100,000 plus miles in the mountains dragging snowmobile trailers and wheeling you can have bald tires on a 4wd and she will still move forward in the snow. What 4WD do best in the snow is roll over. Slow down. A little tip. They don't stop any better than a car in fact worse in most cases. People drive fast in the snow in 4WD and lose it and end up upside down in the ditch. On any given blizzard the most frequent cars in the ditch's are SUV's and Pick Up trucks. Too much speed and no clue what do when it looses traction. BFG KO sipped where the best in the snow that I found. Tread compound had very good bite in cold weather. Toyo's became hard like glass and slid all over. If I needed the ultimate snow tire I would buy Blizzak's but trucks sizes can be hard to find. Some people will do studded snow but they rip up the road and should be illegal. If its that bad you should stay home. If it gets bad break out the chains. I would chain up my 2500 Ram Diesels front tires and it was unstoppable in the snow even with a loaded sled trailer on back. Pushing snow with the front bumper going up hill. You may ask why. The parking spots for the rigs with trailers are far and few between. You either ride dirt and gravel tearing up the sled or head higher to the next turn out which the first rig often has to bust trail to get in. If we have a rig with a sled deck we usually sent that in first as they have good traction with all the weight over the wheels. We hated to chain up and its easier in deep snow. We would wheel until we got stuck and them chain up. Most times if you kept momentum you only had to chain up once you reached the parking area to get parked and turned around. I had newbie Ford guy with me one trip. Steep narrow mountain road and I pushed to far past the last turn out. 3rd gear(Diesel with a stick) rolling black smoke, snow coming over the hood. Light fresh powder 2ft to 3ft deep. We bouncing and hauling ass up the grade. He was laughing like a school girl. Asked what was so funny. "I would have been stuck 3 miles ago. I had no idea a truck could do this in so much snow with a trailer." When had to stop she was done, lol. He was like now what. Chain up the front and spin the rig around so she is pointing down hill. Sometimes you could 3 pt turn- sometimes you just unhitched and spin the empty trailer around. Getting there is half the fun.