Squeaky Soft top

thgdfathr
Jul 04, 2022

Jul 04, 2022

Ok all…if you happen to have this issue, I wanted to share what I discovered and my solution so far. I have been driving with the top half open a lot this summer and love it. Yesterday, I noticed a squeaking sound coming from somewhere on the soft top while driving. Got my wife to drive while I sat in the back seat to figure out exactly where it was coming from and here is what I found. The squeak was coming from this exact spot:

B704E4F3-5DE5-4044-917D-4A096F1F638D.jpeg
When I looked at it closer at home, I noticed that the metal where it rests in that plastic groove has actually worn the black paint off a bit. Looks like the friction of it is causing it to wear slightly:

54578878-2950-4C0D-A487-FCAEFFCAF336.jpeg
You can see that the edge of the metal above the plastic groove thing is showing bare metal.

My solution for now was to put a light coating of all purpose automotive grease in the groove of the plastic and a bit on the metal. I’ll report back if that solves it long term, but so far, the squeak is gone. I hadn’t heard it at all until yesterday, so guessing it only started once the paint started to wear.
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s
Bronco_Skillz, Hobgoblin
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 04, 2022

No Ragerts

Jul 04, 2022

My soft top doesn’t squeak ONLY when it’s retracted - LOL

I suspect that if you use the supplied Velcro straps to secure the soft top in the flipped open position, it won’t squeak.

Is the squeak only on 1 side? Perhaps the frame is slightly “racked” causing the parts to not line up correctly and rub.

Grease s a good option but I wonder if a bit of UHMW tape would solve your noise issue?
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)

Jul 04, 2022

My soft top doesn’t squeak ONLY when it’s retracted - LOL

I suspect that if you use the supplied Velcro straps to secure the soft top in the flipped open position, it won’t squeak.

Is the squeak only on 1 side? Perhaps the frame is slightly “racked” causing the parts to not line up correctly and rub.

Grease s a good option but I wonder if a bit of UHMW tape would solve your noise issue?

Only on one side as of now, drivers side. Tape might be my next step as well. Not sure why it started, just know the cause. Good suggestions tho
Bschurr

Rank V

Jul 05, 2022

Their is a rubber stop with two screws that can adjust the damping which stops the rack from bouncing
thgdfathr

Rank 0

Aug 08, 2022

My 2022 Bronco Big Bend is doing the same thing. It sounds exactly like this post back in November. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/soft-top-squeak.27682/
I've only had my Bronco for 2 weeks and it's non stop squeeking with the top down in the 1st stage. I'm going to go to the dealer this week and see what they say.

Life is a Highway

Aug 08, 2022

I don’t have one but this was the very first How to video BN put out. Take a look, I know that many dealerships don’t know or cover this.1659939988618.jpeg

Aug 08, 2022

My 2022 Bronco Big Bend is doing the same thing. It sounds exactly like this post back in November. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/soft-top-squeak.27682/
I've only had my Bronco for 2 weeks and it's non stop squeeking with the top down in the 1st stage. I'm going to go to the dealer this week and see what they say.
After I put a small amount of all purpose grease on that plastic part it completely stopped and hasn’t come back. Think it’s just the plastic breaking in.
TK1215