Advice appreciated: Order and delivery timeline might not work out.

Broncadonk MKG
Jan 17, 2021

Rank V

Jan 17, 2021

I am dead set on ordering a 2-door BD next week. But, with the new delivery expectations comes a major dilemma for my husband and I.
We currently have one sedan between the two of us. We are getting a new commuter car here soon, and I was planning on selling my sedan to a buddy of mine this spring to make room for the Bronco.
Now, here’s where it gets kinda complicated.
We need at least one 4x4 between the two of us (we are both considered emergency essential and live in the Midwest. When weather gets nasty we can’t use the excuse that one of us couldn’t get to work because the car won’t make it). He is active military and I am in the national guard (I work full time as a Ford salesman). We also do labor on the side and we can’t exactly load tools into our Volkswagen or haul a trailer.
I am expecting a deployment at the beginning of next year. With the assumption that I’ll be told next week not to expect a MY21 2 door BD Bronco this summer, this puts a damper on things. It’s already putting us in a difficult spot to rely on sedans through the springtime. Should I bite the bullet and buy a new Ranger or new-ish pre-owned F150? I am trying to think of what will carry the least negative equity when I finally trade in for the Bronco, whenever that may be.
TorgSurv, Bronc96
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2021

Rank VI

Jan 17, 2021

I am dead set on ordering a 2-door BD next week. But, with the new delivery expectations comes a major dilemma for my husband and I.
We currently have one sedan between the two of us. We are getting a new commuter car here soon, and I was planning on selling my sedan to a buddy of mine this spring to make room for the Bronco.
Now, here’s where it gets kinda complicated.
We need at least one 4x4 between the two of us (we are both considered emergency essential and live in the Midwest. When weather gets nasty we can’t use the excuse that one of us couldn’t get to work because the car won’t make it). He is active military and I am in the national guard (I work full time as a Ford salesman). We also do labor on the side and we can’t exactly load tools into our Volkswagen or haul a trailer.
I am expecting a deployment at the beginning of next year. With the assumption that I’ll be told next week not to expect a MY21 2 door BD Bronco this summer, this puts a damper on things. It’s already putting us in a difficult spot to rely on sedans through the springtime. Should I bite the bullet and buy a new Ranger or new-ish pre-owned F150? I am trying to think of what will carry the least negative equity when I finally trade in for the Bronco, whenever that may be.

As the owner of a 2016 F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4, I vote you buy an F150. I love my truck and plan to keep it after I buy the Bronco. I think the challenge you might have is the price of gently used F150s. In my area of New England, they are pricy!
Bronc96, Jakob1972

Rank V

Jan 17, 2021

As the owner of a 2016 F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4, I vote you buy an F150. I love my truck and plan to keep it after I buy the Bronco. I think the challenge you might have is the price of gently used F150s. In my area of New England, they are pricy!
Same boat, I have a 2012 Sierra that I will be keeping. Last year you could get one without onstar. Still has the factory battery...
'21 AMB Basesquatch 2 Door. 2.7. 569 days from reservation to delivery
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Rank V

Jan 17, 2021

On my lot we are scarce of everything but used F150s, all of which are 4x4 and under 70k miles. They’re retailing at 32-38k but I suspect I can get a 2019 velocity blue XLT 302a (remote start, nicer interior, heated seats) with 27xxx miles and new tires on it for our at-cost price of about $30,000. The problem then is the fact id wrap negative equity into that used truck and I don’t want that happening. I have a good friend who is a die-hard diesel Volkswagen guy who is drooling for my car and will have the money to buy at private party value this summer. Idk. We could get it for my husband too and forego getting him a new commuter car (I can get him a new fully loaded sedan with 40mpgs for invoice price at $21,000 before taxes) but he has bad credit and would get screwed on payments. Plus he has a 50 mile/ day commute so a car just makes more sense. Unless he needs a 4x4 when the weather is bad, which is where the Bronco would come in.
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Jan 17, 2021

Unless you are committed to getting a Ford you might consider a 4Runner, 4WD. They hold their value very well and will get you where you need to go.
4DR OBX, A51, 2.3L/Auto, Soft Top, High Package, 4.27 Locking Rear Diff, AUX Switches
Reserved: 7/14/20, Ordered: 1/29/21, Built: 9/7/21, Assumed the Reins: 9/14/21
Bronc96, Pazzo

Rank V

Jan 17, 2021

Unless you are committed to getting a Ford you might consider a 4Runner, 4WD. They hold their value very well and will get you where you need to go.
Since I work for a dealership it would be dumb of me to get anything besides what our lot new/ used wise has to offer. I think we actually got a 4Runner as a trade last week though. I will dig into it! Thanks!
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jan 17, 2021

First off.... Thank you both for your service(y)
My honest opinion as someone who lives in the Midwest also and has a job where I am required to travel no matter what the conditions are, good winter tires and a somewhat good ground clearance is all you need. I used to travel through heavy snow situations in an old Ford Focus for years and got through whatever came my way when having to go to work in the middle of the night before any roads got plowed or salted. Yes 4x4 or AWD will help but I feel it is not necessary, especially for the short term until you get your Bronco. The labor on the side is something that may deem the need for a truck depending on what you need to haul though.
MY21 2dr Black Diamond 7MT Velocity Blue!
Bronc96, Broncadonk MKG

Rank V

Jan 18, 2021

First off.... Thank you both for your service(y)
My honest opinion as someone who lives in the Midwest also and has a job where I am required to travel no matter what the conditions are, good winter tires and a somewhat good ground clearance is all you need. I used to travel through heavy snow situations in an old Ford Focus for years and got through whatever came my way when having to go to work in the middle of the night before any roads got plowed or salted. Yes 4x4 or AWD will help but I feel it is not necessary, especially for the short term until you get your Bronco. The labor on the side is something that may deem the need for a truck depending on what you need to haul though.
Thank you for your input. I used to have a little 8 foot dump trailer I’d use for my last Bronco and squarebody Chevy. The plan is to get another cheap used trailer off the internet when I get my new Bronco as well. Plus, this is a bogus excuse but I HATE driving in a low-sitting vehicle. The only reason I got my Wagen in the first place was because I knew I needed to cut costs, so I traded in my Cherokee with positive equity and cut fuel/ insurance/ payments literally in half (and I still had my Bronco then so I knew I could use that when I wanted/needed). Then I lost my full time job last April and had to sell the Bronco. So yeah, the more I really think on it, the more I accept it’s smart to just keep what I’ve got until my order comes. Whenever that is.
IL21Bronco

Gladesmen

Jan 18, 2021

On my lot we are scarce of everything but used F150s, all of which are 4x4 and under 70k miles. They’re retailing at 32-38k but I suspect I can get a 2019 velocity blue XLT 302a (remote start, nicer interior, heated seats) with 27xxx miles and new tires on it for our at-cost price of about $30,000. The problem then is the fact id wrap negative equity into that used truck and I don’t want that happening. I have a good friend who is a die-hard diesel Volkswagen guy who is drooling for my car and will have the money to buy at private party value this summer. Idk. We could get it for my husband too and forego getting him a new commuter car (I can get him a new fully loaded sedan with 40mpgs for invoice price at $21,000 before taxes) but he has bad credit and would get screwed on payments. Plus he has a 50 mile/ day commute so a car just makes more sense. Unless he needs a 4x4 when the weather is bad, which is where the Bronco would come in.
There are several SUVs that get good gas mileage Chevy equinox for example. I had a 90 mile one way commute for the past 12 years and when my car finally died I was going to replace it with an equinox but the car out lasted the job. I recently switched companies so I get to work from home most of the time. Now that my car is finally on its last legs I thinking of either a Bronco sport or equinox. I know apples and oranges but an equinox is cheap.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Broncadonk MKG, Bronc96