Some noobie off-roading questions and discussion...

williagr
Sep 09, 2021

Rank V

Sep 09, 2021

Anyone with some off-roading experience want to share their knowledge for some (hopefully) easy questions? I did the Off-Roadeo and loved it, I can definitely see how people get into this. I've tried the great and powerful Google but I find a lot of different answers. Insults are welcome, but only if you provide an answer too :)
  1. I live in the concrete jungle of Dallas, so I realize I may need to plan some day trips or weekend trips, but how do I find good trails that I know won't be out of my league?
  2. Is there generally a fee to use trails or do you just kind of head off road when you start seeing tracks?
  3. I don't have a winch, should I get one for recovery? I'm already planning to get a recovery kit with some straps and shackles.
  4. Anyone in the Dallas area want to go wheelin' when I get mine in a few weeks?!
Anyone else have any noobie questions, feel free to hijack the thread. Thanks y'all.
Bronco 4-dr Outer Banks
High Package / Sasquatch. First off-road ready vehicle, let's do this.
Bronc96, Bschurr
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 09, 2021

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 09, 2021

The single biggest and best thing you can do is add a winch.
Tech Tim, Bronco_Girl

Rank VI

Sep 09, 2021

Anyone with some off-roading experience want to share their knowledge for some (hopefully) easy questions? I did the Off-Roadeo and loved it, I can definitely see how people get into this. I've tried the great and powerful Google but I find a lot of different answers. Insults are welcome, but only if you provide an answer too :)
  1. I live in the concrete jungle of Dallas, so I realize I may need to plan some day trips or weekend trips, but how do I find good trails that I know won't be out of my league?
  2. Is there generally a fee to use trails or do you just kind of head off road when you start seeing tracks?
  3. I don't have a winch, should I get one for recovery? I'm already planning to get a recovery kit with some straps and shackles.
  4. Anyone in the Dallas area want to go wheelin' when I get mine in a few weeks?!
Anyone else have any noobie questions, feel free to hijack the thread. Thanks y'all.

I'm a newb too, but have lived vicariously enough to answer some of the questions. Not sure if you're aware, but the Ford SYNC navigation system will have hundreds of trail maps built in that I'm assuming you can search by proximity to you.

There is an app that I've been seeing mentioned in a lot of the Bronco videos called onX Offroad that has tons of trails that you can search by proximity, difficulty, etc. I believe it is subscription based, so there will be a cost.

Regarding fees, I think it just depends on where you are. If you're at a park specifically for offroading, you will likely have a fee. But there are plenty of areas that have offroad trails that are completely free to use. You can drive on any established BLM roads, as long as there isn't a specific closure for that area. However, you cannot go off the established trails.

Other than that, I just plan on joining off-roading forums and we've already started an Indiana Bronco Facebook group to keep in touch with other nearby owners.
Badlands | Sasquatch | Cyber Orange | 2.7L | Lux | Soft Top
Bronc96, Bschurr

Rank VI

Sep 09, 2021

1. GTS (Google That Shite). OnX is a good start. Often trails are managed by county parks, so there may be a county park listing online. Further away, again you can GTS and post in region-specific online forums asking questions. Where I live you can drive all over, thousands and thousands of miles of public lands, so there are not only county parks (usually with a fee), but there are state managed off road trails. You can contact the state parks, or Forest Service/BLM to get information and maps on off road parks and trails.

2. There is a fee to use some of the parks that are "managed" by a public/private body. Where I live you buy an off road permit that allows you on state lands. County parks sometimes have a payment drop box, but most of the time they are free (paid for by tax payer dollars). You should know before you go though whether it is a public/private "park" with a fee.

3. Before a winch, make sure you have tow hooks on the vehicle, and tow/recovery straps with shackles that fit the strap/tow hook. It's important to have the ability for someone to pull you out, because that is probably going to happen nine times out of ten, rather than using your winch. You'll also want a shovel. It takes a long time, but you can build a road with a shovel, and you might have to in order to get out of a precarious situation.

The stuff above is nothing to stress about. If you're new to off road, you'll get stuck, expect and plan for it. The rest will come with time.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Bronc96, Paleos

Rank V

Sep 09, 2021

One thing to add on… if you do add a winch, make sure to learn how to use it. They are INCREDIBLY effective tools but can also ruin your day if used improperly.

Also, make sure to get a synthetic cable winch with soft shackles. Nobody likes the guy still running a steel cable. (You will literally see everyone run and hide when someone is using one LOL. They are scary)
JoergH, Bronc96

Rank V

Sep 09, 2021

Best thing you can do is find a local off-roading group and join. They'll guide and teach you along the way with the added benefit of making new friends with the same interests as you. I wouldn't get carried away adding a bunch of stuff to your Bronco until you gain some experience. It's easy to say "add a winch" but which one? If you get out with a group, you'll see different ones in action and may find you have a preference. That's not just true for winches, it will save you a lot of money in the long run on many items.
Bronc96, Bschurr

Rank III

Sep 09, 2021

Barnwell mountain in Gilmer TX has wide trails as does Crossbar Ranch in Davis OK. Barnwell hosts Toyota Jamborees as well as Land Rover get togethers. Hopefully down the road someone will organize one for Broncos
Bronco_Girl

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 09, 2021

One thing to add on… if you do add a winch, make sure to learn how to use it. They are INCREDIBLY effective tools but can also ruin your day if used improperly.

Also, make sure to get a synthetic cable winch with soft shackles. Nobody likes the guy still running a steel cable. (You will literally see everyone run and hide when someone is using one LOL. They are scary)
All I will run is steel cable, you can get it off the winch in winter when its a block of ice.Cable is safe that why they have remotes for the winch.
14U, dover157

Rank V

Sep 09, 2021

All I will run is steel cable, you can get it off the winch in winter when its a block of ice.Cable is safe that why they have remotes for the winch.

Have never considered snow with winches, that’s an interesting advantage. I’ll still be hiding far away when that thing is in use LOL
Bronc96, Bschurr

Rank III

Sep 09, 2021

The single biggest and best thing you can do is add a winch.

For those that don't want a winch, a high lift jack will work. I've used one for years and it's gotten me out every time.
Patiently waiting for a 2022 Bronco
4dr, Badlands, Lux, soft-top, SAS (if we ever get to order)
2019 F-250 Limited
Bronc96, Bschurr

Rank V

Sep 09, 2021

As a Texan, what's winter? ...this year's freeze notwithstanding.
Bronco 4-dr Outer Banks
High Package / Sasquatch. First off-road ready vehicle, let's do this.
Dml6163

Official unofficial BN Photographer

Sep 09, 2021

I dunno about a winch being such a high priority... for a newbie, I'd say find a local off-roading/overlanding group - join them (Facebook has a ton), go to their meetups, they usually coordinate drives/outings based on varying difficulty levels - do that ... find out what kind of off roading you prefer.. rock crawling, mudding, trails, etc - there's a good chance you'll never need a winch. After having my truck for 8 months now, I realize that rock climbing has zero interest for me, and mud is fun at first - until you have to spend 5 hours pressure washing all the dried mud (which often turns to concrete) off your rig... so for me, I am much more interested in trails, and desert exploration - get yourself some traction boards and kinetic ropes - typically when you're wheeling, there will be other vehicles around, and I've found that off-roaders are very helpful when it comes to checking on someone who looks like they may be stuck - if you've got your own kinetic rope - you can have them give you a pull to get out. The truck will be very capable on it's own, and if you're new, just take it easy - get a feel for what it's like to go up a 29 degree incline (or worse - DOWN one!), what it's like to just enjoy the experience of being 'off the beaten path' - hit up some OHV parks to get experience of putting it in various off road modes, choosing GOAT modes, etc - again - lots of people around if you get in a pickle.
Reservation: 7/20/20 | MY '21 order: 2/1/21 | MY '22 order: 10/22/21 | Blend 8/5, built 8/8, 'built' status 8/27, in my driveway 10/12/22
Auto Photographer in Sacramento CA:
www.instagram.com/photographybymarkbrooks
Bronc96, Bschurr

Rank V

Sep 09, 2021

typically when you're wheeling, there will be other vehicles around, and I've found that off-roaders are very helpful when it comes to checking on someone who looks like they may be stuck

This is it! 99 out of 100 times you hit a trail there are others around, it's as simple as walking up to someone at the trail head and saying 'Hey, I came out alone, can I tag onto your group?" It's a great way to meet people, and learn from others. Honestly, this is also why I hate it when people say don't go out alone. Yeah, maybe don't run the Rubicon in the middle of winter on a Wednesday, but in the spring and summer there will be others on the trails, and wheelers love to show off how much they know!
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4 Door. Delivered on 10/1/2021
Mastertiger87, Bronc96

Road trip!!!

Sep 09, 2021

Find someone to go with, or join up with someone on the trail. I've done the wheeling by myself and got stuck in the middle of BFE. Had to walk a few miles to find someone to help me out.
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
Bronc96, bertscw

Rank V

Sep 09, 2021

A lot of the advice you are looking for has been covered extensively by two very good online resources that I used when first starting out. Overland Bound and TrailRecon

Even after all these years I still always watch what these guys are providing.
Bronc96, Rgwinn

Rank V

Sep 09, 2021

Yes, winches CAN be dangerous. A steel line can snap and when that happens it has a lot of stored energy in it. It will fly right back toward the truck. It can quite literally take your head off. But throw a somewhat heavy coat or something over it and the line will drop to the ground. You also need heavy leather gloves to handle the line because they are made up of a lot of small strands. The strands break and will cut the hell out of your hands otherwise.
4 Door Badlands: Carbonized Gray, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Towing Package, 35" Tires ETC
Bronc96, AcesandEights

Rank V

Sep 09, 2021

Anyone with some off-roading experience want to share their knowledge for some (hopefully) easy questions?

Two initial thoughts:
1) Join a local group(s) to learn what you need to know !
2) Forget the winch (unless it is for aesthetics) until you are convinced you need it !

During 10 years of off-roading in Arizona, I used mine once to extract an unwanted plant from my yard :)
Bronc96, Bschurr

Rank III

Sep 09, 2021

Two initial thoughts:
1) Join a local group(s) to learn what you need to know !
2) Forget the winch (unless it is for aesthetics) until you are convinced you need it !

During 10 years of off-roading in Arizona, I used mine once to extract an unwanted plant from my yard :)
In Colorado, TX, AR and OK I have used a winch numerous times. I rock crawl and will not go out without one.

Rank III

Sep 09, 2021

Get synthetic line. Many times better than steel. If you break it you can tie a knot in it and keep using it. It's easier on the hands. If worried about it getting snow or ice then put a cover over it.
I like Warn and Smittybilt..

Rank VI

Sep 09, 2021

Have never considered snow with winches, that’s an interesting advantage. I’ll still be hiding far away when that thing is in use LOL
Thats why you use cable damners
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021