Soft top adhesive fail

BSeeliger
May 21, 2022

Rank III

May 21, 2022

I live in Texas and the heat is making the adhesive fail on the inside of the soft top at the seams. Is this a known issue?
Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2022

Gladesmen

May 21, 2022

It is a known issue that it is Hot AF here in Texas.

I have not heard of the adhesive failing. Hope you get that taken care of soon.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Marmot

Rank V

May 21, 2022

Pictures
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992

Beers, Broncos, and Battlestar Galactica

May 21, 2022

I'm sorry to hear this. Is there any way the seams can be reinforced?
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch • 2-Door • Velocity Blue • 2.7L V6 • 10-Speed • Lux • Various Mods...
"True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future." - SENECA

Rank V

Jul 14, 2022

Yes... The second interior panel of the roof started to unglue. The dealer stated the Ford recommended fix was to apply a 3M adhesion promoter. Is this a known issue and proper resolution?
The dealer stated for recommended a 3M adhesive promoter. The work was done yesterday. The technician stated it was just the edge as he tried to remove the patch and it was not coming off, he just reglued the edge.

Attachments

EvlNvrDys, BuckYeah

Rank VI

Jul 25, 2022

Yes... The second interior panel of the roof started to unglue. The dealer stated the Ford recommended fix was to apply a 3M adhesion promoter. Is this a known issue and proper resolution?
The dealer stated for recommended a 3M adhesive promoter. The work was done yesterday. The technician stated it was just the edge as he tried to remove the patch and it was not coming off, he just reglued the edge.

I had this same issue over the weekend. And it was 2nd panel like you had. I just pushed it back up there and it seems to be staying for now.

It's a damn shame that they can't get the MIC tops done right and now signs that the soft tops suck just as much. Things that if you ask me, should've been tested and figured out a year before launch.
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.

Rank V

Jul 25, 2022

Is it heat related or caused from wind friction if driving with the top only half open? I live in one of the hottest areas on earth and my soft top is fine. For now...

For record I've only driven with top half open one time at low speed and it stays out of the sun in garage when not in use out of direct sun. 10 months later soft top still going strong.

Ps-the soft top was great to open at our local fireworks show a few weeks ago. See pic. We had a front row seat only about 50yrs away!! :)
20220704_210328.jpg
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992
Crawler Green, EvlNvrDys

Rank III

Jul 25, 2022

Uh Oh! I was wondering about the soft top in this hellish heat we have. But I just like the looks of the soft top so much better.

Rank VI

Jul 25, 2022

Is it heat related or caused from wind friction if driving with the top only half open? I live in one of the hottest areas on earth and my soft top is fine. For now...

For record I've only driven with top half open one time at low speed and it stays out of the sun in garage when not in use out of direct sun. 10 months later soft top still going strong.

Ps-the soft top was great to open at our local fireworks show a few weeks ago. See pic. We had a front row seat only about 50yrs away!! :)
View attachment 40580

I've had mine open probably about 10 times. Half those times doing 80 mph down the highway. We've had crazy heat (not like the peeps down south), but this weekend was mid-90's and that is the 1st time my panels pulled apart (top was closed, had been for a good week or so). So my guess is, it's mostly from heat, but having top open could play into it.

Rank V

Jul 25, 2022

I've had mine open probably about 10 times. Half those times doing 80 mph down the highway. We've had crazy heat (not like the peeps down south), but this weekend was mid-90's and that is the 1st time my panels pulled apart (top was closed, had been for a good week or so). So my guess is, it's mostly from heat, but having top open could play into it.
I wonder how many happen in humid climate vs dry have this issue? Im in the dry socal desert...which has been pretty damn humid this year. Temps this year not too bad between 105-117 degrees with 10-40% humidity. The last 2 years we hit 125+. But so humid this year which drives down temps...a little. My guess is its a combination of half open top driving at speed + prolonged high heat in direct sunlight. Kinda hoping its more related to driving with top open over 40mph vs heat related bc not much we can do about the heat.
EvlNvrDys

Jul 25, 2022

Definitely from heat. I’ve got the adhesive melting at the two front corners (well known problem). Leaves a stringy residue on the paint and windshield at times, but cleans off easily. It’s been almost 100 here this weekend and that’s the worst it’s been. Apparently only known fix at this point from Ford is the 3M adhesion promoter…or you know, actually heat test your sh*t Ford…

also, don’t have a garage so mine gets direct sunlight.
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s
EvlNvrDys, NT AUTOMOTIVE

Rank V

Aug 01, 2022

I drove out to Cali to make my pilgrimage and the fix did not hold. The the edge of the panel came loose again. The technician that attempted the recommended fix did state the panel is not coming off, it's just the edge, as he tried to remove it to apply adhesive to the whole panel and it would not come off. I will post what the dealer reports now that the fix did no work.
Deano Bronc, EvlNvrDys

Life is a Highway

Aug 01, 2022

I drove out to Cali to make my pilgrimage and the fix did not hold. The the edge of the panel came loose again. The technician that attempted the recommended fix did state the panel is not coming off, it's just the edge, as he tried to remove it to apply adhesive to the whole panel and it would not come off. I will post what the dealer reports now that the fix did no work.
Sorry to see but thanks for the update

Rank V

Aug 01, 2022

Hi there. This soft top concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
Crawler Green

Aug 01, 2022

Hi there. This soft top concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
PMed you about mine. Thanks @Ford Motor Company
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s
EvlNvrDys

Rank VI

Aug 01, 2022

PMed you about mine. Thanks @Ford Motor Company

I sent a DM to @Ford Motor Company as well about my soft top adhesive. But I included the other 3 times I've been in for service and only once was an item corrected. Hence I'm not about to drop off my vehicle for another day on something that won't be fixed. I no longer have my spare vehicle to get around in.
thgdfathr

Rank IV

Aug 05, 2022

My sound deadening liner is peeling from hard top. Think it’s an adhesive issue with heat. On the bronch6g , members say it’s a water soluble adhesive that doesn’t work so well against high temperatures. Another recall possibly? Need to inform Ford, before I go to dealer who doesn’t know anything.
thgdfathr

Rank IV

Aug 08, 2022

My dealer is Liccardi Ford in Watchung NJ. I have MIC & the sound deadening pad lining is peeling. Definitely heat related. Haven’t driven my car on highway much nor have I had top panels off.
Please reach out to dealer.

Rank V

Aug 08, 2022

Oh yea, my headliner fell so long ago!

Wassupwitdat!??

Aug 31, 2022

Oh No... We're having the same problem with the soft top now.
Our Bronco sits outside in the driveway all the time and is exposed to sunlight.

I'd like to just take care of this myself without a dealership hassle.

Anyone have an idea or suggestion for a decent adhesive/glue I can apply to fix this?
'21 / BB / 4 Dr / 2.3 / Softie / Antimatter Blue