Snow in Bronco

Chace
Jan 04, 2022

Rank IV

Jan 04, 2022

We recently had a snow storm with strong winds in Nebraska. Our soft top was outside and got quite a bit of snow in it. I feel the top is way to loose (see pic). This is the driver's side. While the passenger side isn't as bad it just doesn't seem right. All my customers that have taken delivery of a soft top had them parked in doors during the storm and I don't have another on hand to compare. Anyone else???? Thoughts????? It sure seems to be closed properly as we can't see anything wrong.

Attachments

IceSoldier88
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 04, 2022

Rank IV

Jan 04, 2022

IceSoldier88, ResidualGenius

Standing Grumpy Face

Jan 04, 2022

There was a guy on FB in Tuktoyaktuk Canada who had this happened. Several inches of snow inside. No one believed it until he posted a video.

LINK
Chace

Rank IV

Jan 04, 2022

I didn't think we would be alone. Hopefully have something from Ford soon on these. Love the vehicle but really don't want to have to tell my customers to not leave the vehicle outside.
Bespoke Bronco, fishingtreeman

No Ragerts

Jan 04, 2022

We recently had a snow storm with strong winds in Nebraska. Our soft top was outside and got quite a bit of snow in it. I feel the top is way to loose (see pic). This is the driver's side. While the passenger side isn't as bad it just doesn't seem right. All my customers that have taken delivery of a soft top had them parked in doors during the storm and I don't have another on hand to compare. Anyone else???? Thoughts????? It sure seems to be closed properly as we can't see anything wrong.
Something is very wrong with your soft top! Mine is not loose like that. Not sure what the issue is but that is not the expected fitment.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Bespoke Bronco, IceSoldier88

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Jan 06, 2022

Surprised this never came up in all the years of testing
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Bschurr

Rank I

Jan 06, 2022

If you live in snow country, you should've held out for the hard top....
Ain't no fellow who ever regretted giving it one extra shake....
SuperMike

Rank V

Jan 06, 2022

This article appears to be all over the place! Seem to be some speculation that Broncos are arriving to dealers without the middle section of the soft-top properly clamped down. They also reference this video, which I saw on youtube as well, which shows the soft top raising up in 100+mph wind:

Of course, should the soft top be expected to hold up in gale-force winds? If you live inside the arctic circle, are you just inviting issues by having a soft top??
Wildtrak ⁞ 4 DR ⁞ HOSS 3.0 ⁞ Area51 ⁞ Lux+Leather ⁞ Tow ⁞ MIC+Sunrider Top ⁞ Res 5/11/21, Rec'd 9/30/22

Rank V

Jan 06, 2022

This article appears to be all over the place! Seem to be some speculation that Broncos are arriving to dealers without the middle section of the soft-top properly clamped down. They also reference this video, which I saw on youtube as well, which shows the soft top raising up in 100+mph wind:

Of course, should the soft top be expected to hold up in gale-force winds? If you live inside the arctic circle, are you just inviting issues by having a soft top??
I agree. There are limits to all and everything. It would be interesting to know how many folks switched to a soft top to get the truck sooner. Does this zip like the old Jeeps did. I had issues in hard rains with it. It sat outside so that's why I put the hard top back on. It would puddle over the front seats. I had to use a fiber glass bow to keep it propped up. Any way...
Ponds, SuperMike

Rank V

Jan 07, 2022

Do modern day wranglers have this issue? I know Iv been in my buddy’s in rain storms or car washes and no issues. So yo me seems like a defect.
2022 Badlands / 4dr / Sasquatch / 2.7 / Soft Top / Velocity Blue / Lux / HD Bumper / Engine Block Heater / Keypad

No Ragerts

Jan 07, 2022

Do modern day wranglers have this issue?
Nope - I have a 2016 JKU and the hard top leaks more than the soft top! And, no issues in my Bronco soft top. Something is very wrong!
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
IceSoldier88

Rank IV

Jan 08, 2022

If you live in snow country, you should've held out for the hard top....
Guy on B6G showed pics of snow inside his hardtop Bronco.

Rank IV

Jan 08, 2022

For those that have not taken delivery, the soft top frame latches to the upper structure of the bronco. The fabric, however, is not attached to the frame above the rear doors. It's only held in place with tension and gravity. There is weather stripping along the bottom of the fabric that seals the fabric to the frame. Strong cross winds can/does raise the fabric off of the frame, thereby letting the elements in.
IceSoldier88, Chace

Rank V

Jan 08, 2022

For those that have not taken delivery, the soft top frame latches to the upper structure of the bronco. The fabric, however, is not attached to the frame above the rear doors. It's only held in place with tension and gravity. There is weather stripping along the bottom of the fabric that seals the fabric to the frame. Strong cross winds can/does raise the fabric off of the frame, thereby letting the elements in.
If I remember correctly in the 100 MPH winds video, the soft top was coming off at the rear doors. So if there are no hooks there what would one expect. It would be interesting at what wind speed does the top start to lift. Maybe the guys with the Bronco full of snow was telling the truth.

Rank IV

Jan 08, 2022

If I remember correctly in the 100 MPH winds video, the soft top was coming off at the rear doors. So if there are no hooks there what would one expect. It would be interesting at what wind speed does the top start to lift. Maybe the guys with the Bronco full of snow was telling the truth.
I have no doubt he was telling the truth. I can raise mine at least 2 inches with little to no effort.
Bespoke Bronco

Rank V

Jan 08, 2022

I have no doubt he was telling the truth. I can raise mine at least 2 inches with little to no effort.
Well I still don't udnerstand the design of this top. Jeep has had a good top for decades. They zip in and have clips that help hold them in place. Same for the hard top. Oh well, the good thing is if they don't get squared away I can walk away from the truck and wait until they do.

Rank IV

Jan 08, 2022

Well I still don't udnerstand the design of this top. Jeep has had a good top for decades. They zip in and have clips that help hold them in place. Same for the hard top. Oh well, the good thing is if they don't get squared away I can walk away from the truck and wait until they do.
It's just the way it's designed. But, all that said, I live in CT, we have plenty rain and snow. I drive interstates. I haven't had anything inside my bronco except what gets tracked in on my feet. Not even a drip inside running 55-75 in rain.
JoergH, CGBadlands21

Rank V

Jan 08, 2022

Thanks for explaining it. Seems like ford need to look at a redesign.
2022 Badlands / 4dr / Sasquatch / 2.7 / Soft Top / Velocity Blue / Lux / HD Bumper / Engine Block Heater / Keypad
OBXBroncoGuy

Jan 08, 2022

For those that have seen the last week of I95 closing, I live in the area. Where I live, we got a little over 10 inches. I was a little worried, , but the only issues I had was to getting to the very top to remove the snow, and that snow was HEAVY. Drove it a two days later with no issues. Maybe after seeing all of this, it might be time to get a cover on it. I just dont know

Rank V

Jan 29, 2022

I live in NJ and have a Badlands Softtop, and this is what I walked into this morning. Given the wind gust are 50-60mph with this blizzard but FFS (for Fks Sake) not even 350 miles. With this cold I haven’t been able to check on the soft top because it’s to cold out to pull or rip apart and don’t want to break anything…

Attachments

2021 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Velocity Blue Metallic, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, Soft Top (RIP HARD TOP)
2015 Focus ST1, Performance Blue, 2.0T, Full Bolt On, Stage 3, Air Ride.
IceSoldier88