Rough country receiver hitch

Mandogus
Feb 26, 2022

Formerly True

Feb 26, 2022

Just saw that rough country has a class III hitch. I can always worry about the wiring later.
https://www.roughcountry.com/receiver-hitch-51062.html?find=2022-ford-bronco-4wd-856075
Garemlin, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2022

Standing Grumpy Face

Feb 26, 2022

With tow being a constraint I can see many manufacturers jumping on this train.
Deano Bronc

Burrito Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2022

Oooo only $99 too. Which is only 30%-ish the cost of the official accessory hitch.

Granted you won’t be able to use FordPass points on the Rough Country hitch, but still a good option if you got other stuff to spend your points on and perfect for someone who needs like a hitch-mounted bike/ski rack.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon

Rank V

Feb 26, 2022

The hitch is the east part. The wiring is the hard part. Wanna bet that the Ford wiring kit will become unavailable or have very long wait times when ordering? Or.....Ford will want $1000 for it?

Standing Grumpy Face

Feb 26, 2022

The hitch is the east part. The wiring is the hard part. Wanna bet that the Ford wiring kit will become unavailable or have very long wait times when ordering? Or.....Ford will want $1000 for it?

If you just want a 4 pin connector there is a plug n play kit available. It requires a little more work if you don't have LED taillights.

7 pin is a whole different ballgame.
Bschurr

Burrito Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2022

Yeah they got the wiring kit already for the 4-pin on the accessories site. It’s not overpriced (by much) but the install cost is pricey if you have the dealer do it.

As @Garemlin said, 7-pin is a different ballgame. Not too difficult to be honest but your running wires all the way up to the fuse box—which is probably more than most people want to do.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Deano Bronc

Rank III

Apr 10, 2022

Hey All,

I just received the Rough Country Hitch. A few videos I've watched show inserting the bolts from the muffler side, while others show removing the bumper and inserting the bolts from the bumper side.

Does it matter either way?
2022 Outer Banks: Eruption Green, HD Modular Bumper, Roast Leather Seats, Mid Package, Soft Top, Accessory Switch Kit

No Ragerts

Apr 10, 2022

Hey All,

I just received the Rough Country Hitch. A few videos I've watched show inserting the bolts from the muffler side, while others show removing the bumper and inserting the bolts from the bumper side.

What do the instructions indicate?

I don’t believe you need to remove the bumper to install the hitch. Therefore, I would think it’s logical & easier to insert the bolts from the front to the back i.e. muffler to bumper so you can use a ratchet & then torque wrench for proper fitment.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)

Rank III

Apr 10, 2022

Instructions call for removing the bumper @Bschurr , but again I have seen it installs done either way.
2022 Outer Banks: Eruption Green, HD Modular Bumper, Roast Leather Seats, Mid Package, Soft Top, Accessory Switch Kit
Bschurr

Rank VI

Apr 12, 2022

Hey All,

Direction of bolts shouldn't matter, unless the nuts are tack welded to the hitch already, then you are only going in 1 way.

Removing the bumper is a lot easier than you'd think. I believe it was a total of 6 bolts (3 each side), and I swear the bumper weighs all of about 10 pounds. So don't worry if you need to remove the bumper for the install, it's easy enough.
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
BWepps

Rank III

Apr 12, 2022

Direction of bolts shouldn't matter, unless the nuts are tack welded to the hitch already, then you are only going in 1 way.

Removing the bumper is a lot easier than you'd think. I believe it was a total of 6 bolts (3 each side), and I swear the bumper weighs all of about 10 pounds. So don't worry if you need to remove the bumper for the install, it's easy enough.
Thanks @EvlNvrDys It's actually 8 bolts, but still fairly easy. I'd be surprised if the rear bumper even weighs 10lbs. Once I removed the rear bumper I oriented the bolts to insert from the outside of the bumper vs. the muffler side. I'd also recommend folks check out Yakima's Straightshot. It's a 7" Hitch Extension for those of you mounting bike racks which helps them clear the spare tire. It also has a screw in retainer to keep that extension tight.
EvlNvrDys

Rank VI

Apr 12, 2022

Thanks @EvlNvrDys It's actually 8 bolts, but still fairly easy. I'd be surprised if the rear bumper even weighs 10lbs. Once I removed the rear bumper I oriented the bolts to insert from the outside of the bumper vs. the muffler side. I'd also recommend folks check out Yakima's Straightshot. It's a 7" Hitch Extension for those of you mounting bike racks which helps them clear the spare tire. It also has a screw in retainer to keep that extension tight.

Did you maybe take out 2 extra that looked like they needed to come out? I only took out 6 and bumper dropped ;)

Good to know that you got it done. Some of these mods we do seem scary at first, but when all is said and done it's more like, well that was pretty simple.
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.

Rank VI

Apr 12, 2022

I don’t know how much different the RC receiver can be from the Curt.

I put in the Curt several months ago and was able to pass the (4) bolts from front to rear. It’s a little finagling to get the nuts on (not much space to work) but it was doable.

I’d heard the BAMF receiver also required bumper removal. So maybe there are just some very subtle differences between the different options.
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top

Formerly True

Apr 12, 2022

I have my roughcountry hitch at home. Sadly when I have time it's raining so I haven't been able to install yet. I'll take photos when I do. I've seen people remove the muffler to install for extra hand space. I will try without doing that.
Deano Bronc, BWepps

Rank III

Apr 12, 2022

I have my roughcountry hitch at home. Sadly when I have time it's raining so I haven't been able to install yet. I'll take photos when I do. I've seen people remove the muffler to install for extra hand space. I will try without doing that.
Hey @Mandogus - removing the bumper was easy and gave me plenty of room. It's about a 30min job. Don't forget the two quick connect wires on either side of the rear fender for the license plate bracket light.

Apr 12, 2022

Might just be theft deference since it’s only four bolts. A lot harder to quickly steal something if you have to remove the whole bumper.
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s
Deano Bronc, BWepps