Rotopax Gear for Bronco Badlands 2 Door

BuzzyBud
Jan 15, 2021

Rank VI

Jan 15, 2021

Been acquiring Rotopax gear for my future Bronco Badlands 2-door. One of the challenges to Overlanding in a 2-door is the size of the fuel tank. A tank with a capacity of 16 gallons might need an external supply when fuel stations are few and far between.

I chose two of the 2-gallon size gasoline containers (RX-2G) which can be linked together. The black clips are an additional feature to prevent separation. (See pic 1 below)

I then chose two of the Rotopax RX-DLX-PM Cargo Racks. They appear to do a great job securing the gas containers. (See pic 1 below)

I then chose attachment clips that are comparable with a T-slot roof rack such as the Yakima LockNLoad. (See pic 2 below)

Although acquiring this gear is a slow and laborious process, it seems to be coming together.

RotoPax 1.jpg

RotoPax 2.jpg
Cooppierce, B MIller
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2021

Looking for rocks!

Jan 15, 2021

Those look great! Just keep in mind of the Ford capless fuel filler opening and how you are going to transfer the gas from the Rotopax to the tank. Ford supplies a small funnel for emergency situations but I wouldn't want to do that on a semi-regular basis.
I had a special tip made out of poly that I attached to a hose so I could fill my Mustang from gas jugs at the track. Worked really nice. No spills!

gas hose.jpg
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
broncokie, GToddC5

Rank VI

Jan 15, 2021

Those look great! Just keep in mind of the Ford capless fuel filler opening and how you are going to transfer the gas from the Rotopax to the tank. Ford supplies a small funnel for emergency situations but I wouldn't want to do that on a semi-regular basis.
I had a special tip made out of poly that I attached to a hose so I could fill my Mustang from gas jugs at the track. Worked really nice. No spills!

View attachment 7648

Good point!
Actually, Rotopax comes with fuel filling spouts. There is also a safety latch on the spout to prevent accidental spills. It is a great design.
One of the challenges is to not only locate the gear but to also understand how best to use each component. Hopefully, when I apply all this to my Badlands, it will work! :)

Fuel 1.jpg

Fuel 2.jpg
Deano Bronc

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jan 15, 2021

Cool, do have any cans that hang off the back?
Joined May 29, 2020 Member 546
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Jan 15, 2021

Cool, do have any cans that hang off the back?
Just a big fat tire! :)
Bronc96

Rank VI

Jan 15, 2021

Good point!
Actually, Rotopax comes with fuel filling spouts. There is also a safety latch on the spout to prevent accidental spills. It is a great design.
One of the challenges is to not only locate the gear but to also understand how best to use each component. Hopefully, when I apply all this to my Badlands, it will work! :)

View attachment 7651

View attachment 7652
*Low whistle* Looks great, where you going to mount it?
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
Rgwinn, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Jan 15, 2021

*Low whistle* Looks great, where you going to mount it?

Will be mounted on the roof rack. The attachment clips are universal for any rack with T-slots such as Yakima LockNLoad and Pioneer Platform. Keep in mind, the 2-gallon containers were linked together for picture taking only. Chances are I will separate them for proper load balance. One step at a time.
IL21Bronco, Bronc96

Rank VI

Jan 16, 2021

I always though the design of these containers were so cool! It’s a great idea. Maybe you can buy a third and fourth one in a different color to keep some moon shine in, that way when the 4 gallons of gas runs out again you can at least camp and have a good time:p lol In all seriousness it’s great you are pre planning all your gear now so as soon as your truck arrives you will be ready to hit the trails! Great job(y)
MY21 2dr Black Diamond 7MT Velocity Blue!
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Jan 16, 2021

I always though the design of these containers were so cool! It’s a great idea. Maybe you can buy a third and fourth one in a different color to keep some moon shine in, that way when the 4 gallons of gas runs out again you can at least camp and have a good time:p lol In all seriousness it’s great you are pre planning all your gear now so as soon as your truck arrives you will be ready to hit the trails! Great job(y)

Analyzing gear options, locating dealers, taking delivery, and learning how it works can be time-consuming, but I find it rewarding.

In a perfect world, the Bronco would have many aftermarket options, but I do not find that is the case. Options for Rotopax mounting on a Bronco is a case in point. I would prefer to keep weight low, such as a Rotopax mount on the rear bumper, but I can not find a viable option for the Bronco. I also cannot seem to identify any Bronco Bolts on the rear bumper. The good news is how I will use my Rotopax. As soon as I have any space in my fuel tank, I begin emptying the containers. In essence, most of the time they will be empty and not hinder lowering my center of gravity.

I see the Bronco as an evolving vehicle, as new model years arrive, buyers should have improved features and more aftermarket choices. In the short term, MY21 and MY22, we will be on the bleeding edge. Since I am used to that approach, I am fine. Just do not be surprised if various approaches I try to solve issues get a redo after field testing is underway.
Deano Bronc, IL21Bronco

Rank VI

Jan 16, 2021

Analyzing gear options, locating dealers, taking delivery, and learning how it works can be time-consuming, but I find it rewarding.

In a perfect world, the Bronco would have many aftermarket options, but I do not find that is the case. Options for Rotopax mounting on a Bronco is a case in point. I would prefer to keep weight low, such as a Rotopax mount on the rear bumper, but I can not find a viable option for the Bronco. I also cannot seem to identify any Bronco Bolts on the rear bumper. The good news is how I will use my Rotopax. As soon as I have any space in my fuel tank, I begin emptying the containers. In essence, most of the time they will be empty and not hinder lowering my center of gravity.

I see the Bronco as an evolving vehicle, as new model years arrive, buyers should have improved features and more aftermarket choices. In the short term, MY21 and MY22, we will be on the bleeding edge. Since I am used to that approach, I am fine. Just do not be surprised if various approaches I try to solve issues get a redo after field testing is underway.
That’s part of the fun of this hobby is making things work and learning as you go. I agree we will not see aftermarket stuff for a little while, so custom fabricated parts will probably be the way many get around that to start with. I like researching places to go and gear that I need as we all wait to get our Broncos. It makes the time go by faster:cool: to keep low center of gravity you may be able to fabricate a holder for those packs that come off the roof racks and make them store on the side of the back rear windows. Could fit 2 on each side most likely and would keep weight even.
MY21 2dr Black Diamond 7MT Velocity Blue!
BuzzyBud

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 17, 2021

I'll bet it won't take ProtoFab (and others) very long to get one of these ready for the new Bronco:
ProtoFab RockSolid Double Rack Rear Bumper
I'm considering this for my '91, and probably as a replacement for the stock bumper on the '22 Base as well.
PF821-80-97-rsr-w-2-racks-4.jpg
BuzzyBud, Deano Bronc

Rank III

Jan 28, 2021

Auxiliary tank. For the cost of a swing out in the near future you will be able to pick up an aux tank with 20+ gallons and top off on the fly.

I know, it doesn't make you look anymore of an overlander, but it is far more effective, ask an aussie.
BuzzyBud, broncokie

Rank III

Jan 28, 2021

@Thane Have you come across an aux tank in development? Just curious because I thought the same thing about my 20 Ranger since it has been offered for so long globally. Aux tanks are available, but only in other countries & diesel applications only. If you of know a domestic extended range tank source I`d appreciate the info. Thanks
BuzzyBud, Thane

Rank III

Jan 28, 2021

I have been looking at the Ranger options. Bronco would be a very different dimension, especially 2DR.

Not aware of any specific efforts, but it will happen.
broncokie

Rank V

Jan 28, 2021

I have a F350 and unfortunately it had the smaller fuel tank on it. I could pass anything but a gas station when pulling my first camper. When I was looking to full-time with a 5th wheel I did some research for a bigger fuel tank. Ended up finding Titan that had a 51 gallon replacement tank. 8 Years later still happy I bought it. Granted I don't full-time anymore. So I did a search on their site and found https://titanfueltanks.com/catalog/product/view/id/77/s/titan-trail-trekker-ii-4040287/category/2/ for Jeep. For a Bronco that would be pretty cool if going way off the beaten path.

@Thane Ranger Option https://titanfueltanks.com/catalog/...-gal-portable-liquid-tank-5040015/category/2/
TorgSurv, broncokie

Rank VI

Jan 28, 2021

Auxiliary tanks aren't available for gas engines (for the most part). The "gas" tank is part of the fuel (emissions) "system" and it is much more difficult to engineer/design and have certified than the diesel auxiliary tanks which are not regulated in the same way. There are companies that make gas "cans" that hold 10 - 15 gallons (they'll be a gas container) and you can siphon between them and the stock gas tank, but you will find very few auxiliary or replacement tanks for gas engines in the US.

I am not a fan of the Rotopax. I didn't find them of much value, because I want to carry more fuel, maybe 10 - 15 or more gallons; however, they make it easy to carry a couple gallons, and they have water and empty containers that all use the same mounting system. I also don't like the idea of hanging things off the back of the vehicle. And, I've never been in a position that I needed to travel more than 150 miles between fuel stops, and usually far fewer than 150 miles.

All of that being said, here is an option I may consider:

https://www.titanallterrain.com/https://www.titanallterrain.com/trail-trekkerhttps://titanfueltanks.com/products/trail-trekker/titan-trail-trekker-ii-4040387
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
TorgSurv, broncokie

Rank III

Jan 28, 2021

Man-A-Fre in Nevada makes some nice aluminum aux tanks for Land Cruisers. I have a 23 gallon Man-A-Fre on my FJ Cruiser.

Range is obviously the main spiff, but lowering the center of gravity and massing up the rear made much improved trail handling on off camber trails and brought the too light rear into the suspension range. Really calmed things down at speed.
broncokie, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jan 28, 2021

Good point!

View attachment 7651

View attachment 7652
I'm sure you will, you seem very thorough, but definitely test that. I filled my work vehicle (capless fuel neck) with a typical gas can nozzle like that, I had to use the vehicle supplied crappy funnel in order the get the nozzle in close enough to get gas in the filler neck.
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud