Roof rack

wmneill
Feb 18, 2021

Rank V

Feb 18, 2021

Does anyone know the dimensions of the 2 door roof rack?
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2021

Rank VI

Feb 18, 2021

Don’t have the rack, but @RynoPSU gave some measurements for the roofs a while back -

The 2 door roof is 83 inches long x 56 inches wide. The 4 door is roughly 99 inches long x 56 inches wide

you might be able to eyeball some rough dimensions from pictures with these as a starting point. It should be noted the factory rack is the same size regardless of 2dr or 4dr.
wmneill

Rank V

Feb 18, 2021

awesome! Thank you that will give me a rough idea

Rank VI

Feb 18, 2021

Does anyone know the dimensions of the 2 door roof rack?

First off, I have not been able to confirm the size of the Yakima roof rack as seen on the Bronco Trail Rig in the picture below. However, I do feel confident I know the size after careful study.

2021 Ford Bronco Trail Rig.jpg

I believe the rack in the picture above has six slats. According to the information on page 4 of the Yakima Install Guide attached below, that would make it Platform K which has a length of 55” and a width of 49”.

Within the Ford Bronco Build and Price application, two Yakima roof racks are listed. One is listed as small and one as large. When you examine the images as seen below, the small rack has six slats (Platform K) and the large rack has seven slats (Platform B).

Two Door Small Roof Rack.jpg

Two Door Large Roof Rack.jpg

Attachments

ChapEJF, KennyMac

Rank VI

Feb 18, 2021

Another interesting observation from a careful review of the Bronco Trail Rig pictures brought a smile to my face. Once again, I have not been able to confirm this observation, but the details do point to an accurate conclusion.

If you review page eight in the Yakima Install Guide, you will see mention of the wind deflector, which is part of the front-end platform component. In the picture below, the platform appears to have been mounted backward.

By the way, I have that platform in my garage and the wind deflector does match the one in the picture.

For me, I find those details amusing. ;)

2021 Bronco Badlands at Bronco West Celebration P1011422.jpg

Attachments

KennyMac

Rank IV

Feb 18, 2021

I'll help you guys out. There is enough pictures out there and enough information with overall length that someone could measure the roofrack from the pictures. The roof rack is roughly 62inches long for the usable part behind the front mounting brackets. It's about 44 inches wide outside edge of rail to other outside edge. It's the same rack for 2 door and 4 door.

Attachments

ChapEJF, Buckin'

Rank VI

Feb 18, 2021

I'll help you guys out. There is enough pictures out there and enough information with overall length that someone could measure the roofrack from the pictures. The roof rack is roughly 62inches long for the usable part behind the front mounting brackets. It's about 44 inches wide outside edge of rail to other outside edge. It's the same rack for 2 door and 4 door.

Yes, these measures are helpful. Thank you!

The key for me was understanding why the Bronco Trail Rig used the Yakima towers and crossbars rather than use crossbar clamps on the Ford crossbars. Not completely sure why, but it is not the install method I prefer.

Based on the Bronco Overland Rig, we know the Ford crossbars can handle the weight. We also know the Ford crossbar in the front has two available locations on the Ford rails where it can be attached. We also know on the Bronco 2-door we only have one rear crossbar option, and it is in a set location.

What may have been confusing to the creators of the Bronco Trail Rig was the warning on Page four of the Yakima Installation Guide. The statement says.

Do not install the platform with the flange of the rail overlapping the pivot mount.

The platform can be slid forward on the pivot mount for better hatch clearance.

I do believe the Yakima Platform K can be installed on the Ford crossbars using the Yakima Crossbar Clamps provided the Ford Crossbar at the front is moved into the midsection location. In my view, this will place the rack more toward the rear and yet have plenty of clearance for the rear hatch. If this does occur, there will be less obstruction for the open-air experience with the MIC front sections removed.

I plan to have this option ready for testing once my Bronco arrives. If the option proves unworkable, I can always resort to the Yakima towers and crossbars. Should be fun!
ChapEJF, KennyMac

Rank IV

Feb 18, 2021

I do believe the Yakima Platform K can be installed on the Ford crossbars using the Yakima Crossbar Clamps provided the Ford Crossbar at the front is moved into the midsection location. In my view, this will place the rack more toward the rear and yet have plenty of clearance for the rear hatch. If this does occur, there will be less obstruction for the open-air experience with the MIC front sections removed.

I plan to have this option ready for testing once my Bronco arrives. If the option proves unworkable, I can always resort to the Yakima towers and crossbars. Should be fun!

I have a Yakima Skybox 12 that I will be using with my Bronco. According to the specs, it has a crossbar spacing range of 24 to 42 inches. In the rear position, the Bronco rack is around 27 inches center of bar to center of bar so it will work in that position. I looked up the K-Platform which has a minimum spacing of 27 inches. The forward position is around 55 inches so you would go to the forward position for the larger platform sizes. I have a 12 foot paddle board that will really like the longer rack spread so it looks like I'll be moving the front bar for summer and winter.
ChapEJF, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Feb 18, 2021

Great discussion and lots of information. To bad i have to wait to put it on the 4dr....(wink) as soon as the dealer gets an accessory list.....
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
BuzzyBud