Roof rack and taking the top off?

tlowell01
Oct 23, 2020

Rank VI

Oct 23, 2020

I will be getting a 4 door with the MIC top. If you get the factory roof rack, are you still able to take all of the pieces of the roof off to go topless? From the picture it looks like you would have to remove the roof rack to get the rear roof section off. Is that the case? If so, is it easy to do?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I think the roof rack would be useful, but I still want the ability to remove the doors and the roof!
Capture.JPG
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2020

Rank IV

Oct 24, 2020

I'm really curious how the roof rack is attached at the front. It's going into the 2 small panels in the front header. Are these snap in fillers parts that come on and off when the roof rack gets put on? If you order a factory roof rack will you get them or are they something you have to go hunting for afterwards when you want to take the roof rack off?
tlowell01

Rank VI

Oct 24, 2020

The front two panels are still removable, as they can slide to each side under the rails. The second row, however, cannot slide due to the drop down area above the door windows. The rails would have to come up to take the 2nd row single piece off.

Also, the rear most section of the roof is the rear mount for the rails, so the rails definitely need to come off for that.
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir
"The mountains are calling, and I must go..." - John Muir
BN #0120
tlowell01, TorgSurv

Rank VI

Oct 24, 2020

Is it difficult to remove the roof rails?
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115

Rank VI

Oct 24, 2020

Is it difficult to remove the roof rails?
The front two panels are still removable, as they can slide to each side under the rails. The second row, however, cannot slide due to the drop down area above the door windows. The rails would have to come up to take the 2nd row single piece off.

While I have not seen that done, I think I heard the Ford rep talking about Allen fasteners. I don’t think it will be difficult, but I would also like to see a demonstration.
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir
"The mountains are calling, and I must go..." - John Muir
BN #0120
tlowell01