Rock Crawling a Base 2-Door without Lockers - Horsin' Around Ep10

Dusty
Oct 22, 2021

Rank IV

Oct 22, 2021

Stephanie and I just posted episode 10 of Horsin' Around! 1f642.png We've been having a blast making these videos as we put the 2-Door Base Bronco through its paces. This time we headed up to Southern California's Gold Mountain trail for the first time in the '21 (we've been over that trail dozens of times in our Early Broncos). It was a great opportunity to push the Base model Bronco, with no lockers or other fancy equipment other than having added bigger tires, on it's toughest challenge yet. Do you have to drop $60K and get all the bells and whistles to have fun in a new Bronco? Nope. We call it Twice the Fun at Half the Price! Thanks to our buddy Danny Bogner for the assist with this one!

Bronco Nation Contributor | So Cal Broncos Founder
Second Nature Overland, tasker
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2021

Rank V

Oct 22, 2021

So its a base with no lockers and 4 35s?
Host - All Terrain Nation
https://www.youtube.com/c/AllTerrainNation Instagram: all_terrain_nation_media

Rank VI

Oct 22, 2021

Really enjoyed the video, the new Bronco sure looked at home with the Vintage Bronco.

Gladesmen

Oct 22, 2021

So its a base with no lockers and 4 35s?
It’s a base with MT and looks like they added some takeoff Sasquatch wheels/tires
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
All Terrain Nation

Rank V

Oct 22, 2021

It’s a base with MT and looks like they added some takeoff Sasquatch wheels/tires
I watched the video.. Take offs while they wait on wheels and tires
Host - All Terrain Nation
https://www.youtube.com/c/AllTerrainNation Instagram: all_terrain_nation_media
Jakob1972

Gladesmen

Oct 22, 2021

I watched the video.. Take offs while they wait on wheels and tires
Yeah I hadn’t watched the video yet. But I have seen some of their others.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank IV

Oct 23, 2021

Yeah it had the Sasquatch wheels and tires on it during this video (borrowed, the Bronco doesn't have the Sasquatch package). I have since swapped them out for my permanent wheel and tire combo, the 35" NITTO's on ICON Rebound Pro's. I'll post up some pics of it soon, and of course it should have those meats on it for our next few videos at least :)

Rank V

Oct 24, 2021

Awesome video. After the offroadeo and using lockers and squatched I was worried I should have upgraded but this makes me feel good about my choice. To fit the 35s, did you have to go with a spacer kit?

Rank VI

Oct 24, 2021

When i went through the Bronco offrodeo in Nevada, I went through without alot of the fabmncy stuff engaged. No lockers, no sway bar dis-conn, no diff lock. Got yelled at by the trail boss because he said I was going to tear up the trail. Well, i didnt tear anything up and the Bronco handled exemplary. Drivers confidence does count but the vehicle is extremely capable. F' the Jeep (Wrangler) lovers. Sorry
I'm sold on the Bronco. Jeep is "old hat" now. Values will be dropping like cheap stocks.
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021

Rank IV

Oct 24, 2021

Awesome video. After the offroadeo and using lockers and squatched I was worried I should have upgraded but this makes me feel good about my choice. To fit the 35s, did you have to go with a spacer kit?

Yes I'm running a level/lift spacer kit from ICON Vehicle Dynamics. I'm not sure exactly how much lift it yields, but I do know they designed it to provide enough clearance for 35's on a non-Squatch with no rubbing, and no higher than that in order to preserve as low a center of gravity as possible. It probably ends up somewhere around 1-34 to 2 inches in the front. Here's a pic from when they were test-fitting, with the suspension at full compression (springs removed from the struts), The tire tucks up into the non-Sasquatch flares perfectly at full bump. These are with 25mm offset wheels.

IMG_0411.JPEG

And here's a pic at full drop. Not bad travel for those 35's.

IMG_0416.JPEG
Zacharyjones64, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Oct 24, 2021

When i went through the Bronco offrodeo in Nevada, I went through without alot of the fabmncy stuff engaged. No lockers, no sway bar dis-conn, no diff lock. Got yelled at by the trail boss because he said I was going to tear up the trail. Well, i didnt tear anything up and the Bronco handled exemplary. Drivers confidence does count but the vehicle is extremely capable. F' the Jeep (Wrangler) lovers. Sorry
I'm sold on the Bronco. Jeep is "old hat" now. Values will be dropping like cheap stocks.

Yeah Ford puts a lot of effort into selling the fancy upgrades. Showing them off at the Off-Roadeos, having every YouTuber from here to Calcutta ooh and ahh over them. The trail turn assist, the swaybar disconnect, the off-road cruise control, all of those cameras, etc. All of these look impressive on video and in person, and I'm sure that demonstrating them opens a lot of wallets. But to be honest I've seen very few (as in, probably zero) videos of real off-roaders actually needing and using these gimmicks in real-world off-road situations. You'll notice in each video where these features are showcased, either the driver has to purposefully seek out a specific rock or mogul on which to demonstrate it, or as is the case with the Off-Roadeo, they've actually built the exact terrain profile they need to in order to show it off. But I've yet to see a case where the driver, if he or she didn't have that feature at their disposal, couldn't simply pick a better line around or through the obstacle and keep going down the trail. For most real world off-roading, you simply do not need all that fancy stuff. It's like snorkels. People love to have them just to say they have them, but they will never ever use the feature in real life. Just being able to say you have this and you have that sells a lot of $60K Broncos. But my wife and I are proving that you can spend half that and have twice as much fun. This little $28.5K Bronco has already seen more off-road than 90% of the Sasquatch-equipped Broncos will ever see :)

EDIT: I do have to add that I don't include lockers in the gimmick category. I will end up adding at least a rear one to mine. But I'm still having a lot of fun seeing how far this thing can go without one. I do think the Sasquatch package is a great deal for those who are going to do some real wheeling. But don't let the lack of it keep you from going out and having fun, as you'll be surprised how far you can get even in a stripper Bronco (at least with some bigger tires).
Slownstddy, Zacharyjones64

Rank VI

Oct 24, 2021

Yeah Ford puts a lot of effort into selling the fancy upgrades. Showing them off at the Off-Roadeos, having every YouTuber from here to Calcutta ooh and ahh over them. The trail turn assist, the swaybar disconnect, the off-road cruise control, all of those cameras, etc. All of these look impressive on video and in person, and I'm sure that demonstrating them opens a lot of wallets. But to be honest I've seen very few (as in, probably zero) videos of real off-roaders actually needing and using these gimmicks in real-world off-road situations. You'll notice in each video where these features are showcased, either the driver has to purposefully seek out a specific rock or mogul on which to demonstrate it, or as is the case with the Off-Roadeo, they've actually built the exact terrain profile they need to in order to show it off. But I've yet to see a case where the driver, if he or she didn't have that feature at their disposal, couldn't simply pick a better line around or through the obstacle and keep going down the trail. For most real world off-roading, you simply do not need all that fancy stuff. It's like snorkels. People love to have them just to say they have them, but they will never ever use the feature in real life. Just being able to say you have this and you have that sells a lot of $60K Broncos. But my wife and I are proving that you can spend half that and have twice as much fun. This little $28.5K Bronco has already seen more off-road than 90% of the Sasquatch-equipped Broncos will ever see :)

EDIT: I do have to add that I don't include lockers in the gimmick category. I will end up adding at least a rear one to mine. But I'm still having a lot of fun seeing how far this thing can go without one. I do think the Sasquatch package is a great deal for those who are going to do some real wheeling. But don't let the lack of it keep you from going out and having fun, as you'll be surprised how far you can get even in a stripper Bronco (at least with some bigger tires).
I watched a video about getting ready for baja by x overland, and they added a snorkle to one of thier trucks which previously didnt have one. He was stating that its not Just for water but dust as well. I havent looked to deep into snorkles so this was a new revelation to me. I grew up in the desert and dirt roads can get blinding sometimes, so i can see the benefit of getting the fresh air from somewhere with less particulates. As far as the other stuff is concerned, i can see how it would be handy and useful. I do plan on taking advantage of most of it on my BL sas 2.7 build.
Its so nice that you and the Mrs. Are enjoying your new ride and its getting you to places that you wanna go. Share some pics from time to time....
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021

Rank V

Oct 24, 2021

Hey Dusty, I have been watching your videos. Great job. You cost me money, lol. I was base, stick, bumper, push bar, aux Iconic Silver until watching your videos. I had a Rubi and I was like I am going to miss those lockers. Added SAS. Then 2022 I pay for an auto and throw it away. Wife wanted an Auto. Ok if I am already paying for it. Then I added the 2.7 to show them if have to pay for an auto. I like the grill on the base the best also. SAS badge on Base is cool too. Keep the videos coming. Heading to Moab Off-Roadeo Friday. Between that and your videos it keeps me going until Silver Bullet gets here. Base Bronco are the best off road deal going without a doubt. Love how they ride.
Past - 87 Suz Sam; 76 ChevBlaz14 Rubi 2 Dr -35's First Auto 4wd. Ox Wht 2dr Base SAS, bumper, Flr-lin, 2.7 aux switches.