Rigid light bar - noisy

white lightning
Feb 12, 2022

VTBRONCO-

Feb 12, 2022

I had the Rigid light bar installed and it is noisy. So bad that I'm thinking about taking it off. I have a soft top with the tall mounts as recommended but the noise over 30 MPH is horrible. Others have posted that they do not have noise from the same light bar. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. The picture is on Instagram @ hokiebronco
check me out on INSTAGRAM @ hokiebronco
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2022

Rank V

Feb 20, 2022

I’m hearing from other folks with the shorter mounts/brackets not having any wind noise or whistling. I’m going to try switching to the low profile mounts and see what happens. Another forum told me the tall mounts are for if you have a roof rack. I have no idea.
Squatch On!

Rank VI

Feb 20, 2022

I've heard a lot of people use a strip of vinyl baseboard or door moulding and attach to both top and bottom to reduce noise. I don't have a bronco yet, so can't say if it works
MANDO6

VTBRONCO-

Feb 20, 2022

I installed the ZROADZ wind diffuser and it fixed the noise issue.
check me out on INSTAGRAM @ hokiebronco
Mal, TEEDEE

Rank V

Feb 21, 2022

I installed the ZROADZ wind diffuser and it fixed the noise issue.
Which one did you install?
Squatch On!

Rank 0

Mar 18, 2022

I have the rigid 40" light bar and a soft top. It was originally installed with the short mounts from the dealer - but the soft top flapped horribly. Even with the diffuser on it. Super loud, super distracting and really awful.

I moved it to the higher mounts ( which are meant for the soft top ). The flapping completely went away. There is still; however, a humming / buzzing at higher speeds ( 65+ mph ). But it's not as bad as the flapping, by a long shot.

Haven't taken a long road trip with it yet on the new mounts to see how it is after a few hours. Will relay the experience once I do.
2021 Race Red Wildtrak
Love it.
white lightning

Rank V

Mar 18, 2022

I have the rigid 40" light bar and a soft top. It was originally installed with the short mounts from the dealer - but the soft top flapped horribly. Even with the diffuser on it. Super loud, super distracting and really awful.

I moved it to the higher mounts ( which are meant for the soft top ). The flapping completely went away. There is still; however, a humming / buzzing at higher speeds ( 65+ mph ). But it's not as bad as the flapping, by a long shot.

Haven't taken a long road trip with it yet on the new mounts to see how it is after a few hours. Will relay the experience once I do.
Interesting. I have the higher mount and had the loud buzzing/roaring at higher speeds. I put on the zroadz wind diffuser. Totally got rid of the roar but now I’ve got the soft top flap going. Going to try the short mounts with the wind diffuser. At this point might as well try all options.
Squatch On!

Rank 0

Mar 18, 2022

Interesting. I have the higher mount and had the loud buzzing/roaring at higher speeds. I put on the zroadz wind diffuser. Totally got rid of the roar but now I’ve got the soft top flap going. Going to try the short mounts with the wind diffuser. At this point might as well try all options.

Yeah, I tried to angle the bar different ways as well to no avail.

Let me know how it changes with short mount and diffuser.

For road trips, I'm tempted to sell the rooftop bar and install a bumper mounted one instead.
2021 Race Red Wildtrak
Love it.
bobby22, MANDO6

Rank 0

May 13, 2022

The buzzing has been driving me crazy. No whistling, just a loud hum/buzz at speed with the higher mounts.

I've ordered the ZroadZ diffuser and hoping it fixes it like WhiteLightning @hokiebronco ( just followed you on IG, good stuff )

Update coming as soon as I install.
2021 Race Red Wildtrak
Love it.

Rank 0

May 13, 2022

Mando - Did you ever try the low mounts again with the diffuser? Curious what your experience is.

I definitely would take the buzz/hum over the flag flapping.

-Keith
2021 Race Red Wildtrak
Love it.