Bronco Modular Hard Top Option Moved to 2022 Model Year

David
Mar 25, 2021

Rank VI

Mar 25, 2021

Ford announced today that the black painted modular hard top option for the 2021 Ford Bronco will be delayed to the 2022 model year. The top was announced at the Bronco launch last July but subsequently designated a late availability item last fall. In January, Ford estimated that the top would be available in late summer of 2021. Given today’s news, they were not able to make that timeframe either.

The announcement comes on the heels of a note to dealers last week notifying them that the sound deadening headliner option would now come standard with all hard tops. As discussed in our forums, initial communications to Bronco Nation that focused on the feature change only called out the mold-in-color (MIC) hard top. However, dealer communications stated the feature would be added to all hard tops, presumably including the modular hard top as well.

While all Bronco hard tops are modular, the painted modular hard top features removable side windows and a top portal designed to provide rear seat passengers with a more open-air experience. Due to the announced delay, many Bronco enthusiasts –– both in our forums and across the Bronco-sphere –– had already chosen the MIC as their top option in order to ensure the earliest delivery possible.

Yesterday, we profiled some of the challenges that Ford and top manufacturer Webasto are probably facing. Ramping up a new supplier is always a significant undertaking, COVID hasn’t made anything easier, and this is a completely new product. Today’s news would verify that the challenges are very real, and while Ford is still expecting to deliver Broncos to customers this summer, the feature set of those Broncos will be less than they originally announced.

Tops Article-08.jpgTops Article-09.jpgTops Article-10.jpgTops Article-11.jpgTops Article-12.jpgTops Article-13.jpgTops Article-14.jpgTops Article-15.jpgTops Article-16.jpgTops Article-17.jpg
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
ResidualGenius, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2021

Rank 0

Mar 25, 2021

I really hope this just means Webasto is concentrating on cranking out the MIC tops. I know a majority of the orders were for the MIC anyways.
Deano Bronc, Steve777468

Rank III

Mar 25, 2021

So if orders containing those options are pushed and 60% of reservations were turned into orders for the 3 highest packages should I assume my 2.7 non sasquatch Black Diamond just got way better odds at an earlier delivery date?
Deano Bronc, Steve777468

Rank 0

Mar 25, 2021

Also, nice job on the photos guys! These are great!
Deano Bronc, Steve777468

Life is a Highway

Mar 25, 2021

No bueno
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Mar 25, 2021

Just watched the chat on Instagram. Can you fill us in on the details about the FordPass points deal, and also point us to the rest of the details around the delays mentioned?

Things I heard:
- Mod top delayed to 2022
- Orders can be mod'ed until 4/8
- FordPass points (200000) for folks 'affected' (who specifically?)
BN 0232 Bronco "Skwach" - 4 Dr FE, Lightning Blue, MIC/NP
New acquisition - Ranger Lariat Tremor, Rapid Red "Quake" (Skwach's little brother)
Other fun stuff: Honda Pioneer 1000 dirt toy (Need hitch!)
Lowcountry Bronco, Rgwinn

Rank VI

Mar 25, 2021

Well this sucks. I was #1 at my dealer. Should've kept the Mustang another year. :rolleyes:
Raptor w/ lux package, orange belts. Code Orange.
BN #306

Rank V

Mar 25, 2021

So if orders containing those options are pushed and 60% of reservations were turned into orders for the 3 highest packages should I assume my 2.7 non sasquatch Black Diamond just got way better odds at an earlier delivery date?

I think the 60% is the percentage of orders with the 2.7.
The only way you are in a better position is going to depend on the people who now have to decide on MY21 or MY22 and how that moves you up.
I'm in the same boat as you, until we find out if there are additional constraints of the higher trim levels.

Rank IV

Mar 25, 2021

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!
I am also sorry for those of you who want it now. I do too, but now my

FIRST EDITION WILL BE GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as I saw the Instagram post. I had to jump on here with those who feel my pain and my immense joy. I'm jumping and screaming and my family thinks I'm crazy. All I could say is "It will be GREEN".

Longer wait sucks, but for GREEN it's worth it. And all the extra cool accessories that are supposed to come straight from factory.
TyFitzO, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Mar 25, 2021

Well this sucks. I was #1 at my dealer. Should've kept the Mustang another year. :rolleyes:

Never plan for something that hasn't shown up.
BuzzyBud

Rank III

Mar 25, 2021

I think the 60% is the percentage of orders with the 2.7.
The only way you are in a better position is going to depend on the people who now have to decide on MY21 or MY22 and how that moves you up.
I'm in the same boat as you, until we find out if there are additional constraints of the higher trim levels.
I hear you. I’m also a July 13th reservation holder and currently number 8 in line at my dealer who is allocated 50 total units. The next couple months are going to be interesting
14U, BuzzyBud

Rank V

Mar 25, 2021

The one thing I didn't want on my FE, MIC Top. Just make them all 2022 and be done with it lol.

giphy (1).gif
thegoat_offroader, Rudypc

Life is a Highway

Mar 25, 2021

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!
I am also sorry for those of you who want it now. I do too, but now my

FIRST EDITION WILL BE GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as I saw the Instagram post. I had to jump on here with those who feel my pain and my immense joy. I'm jumping and screaming and my family thinks I'm crazy. All I could say is "It will be GREEN".

Longer wait sucks, but for GREEN it's worth it. And all the extra cool accessories that are supposed to come straight from factory.
I would double check regarding the FE with a green. I only read through really quick but to get the FE model you may have to give up the painted top. I am gonna look again really carefully. I think everyone especially FE holders should do the same. It doesn’t effect my build but it does for 7K people
Deano Bronc, Dirty Bronco

Rank 0

Mar 25, 2021

Do we know if the tops are interchangeable? If I switch to a soft top due to the delay, will I be able to add the painted Mod top once available?

Life is a Highway

Mar 25, 2021

I just double checked the FAQ section. In regards to FE orders. To get the FE you are gonna have to pic the grey MIC top. Otherwise not gonna be an FE. If you opt to wait for the painted hard top or Green colors or other options not available in 2021, it won’t be an FE. Unfortunate decisions ahead for some. I am sorry for that. I hope I am wrong but that’s how I am reading it folks
Deano Bronc, Steve777468

Rank V

Mar 25, 2021

@David could you help provide some clarity or if anyone else knows please chime in. I received my email from Ford, and it stated the following:

"Your Bronco First Edition will now come with a carbonized gray molded-in-color roof, (you can see a version here) and your price will be adjusted accordingly."

"With these product updates, you now have until April 8, 2021 to work with your dealer to confirm any changes to your order."

If I am fine with the MIC top do I need to change my order by April 8th or will it be automatically changed? Conversely, if I want to keep my Painted Top do I still need to change my order by April 8th?

I guess I just don't know if I need to have my dealer change/mess with my order or not.
Rgwinn

Trusted and Carefree

Mar 25, 2021

This process seems a little snake-bit at this point. Things outside of Fords control to be sure, but a bit messier than they should be for a flagship vehicle. I was already waiting on a '22 anyway, but this does fill me with an uncomfortableness
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco

Rank VI

Mar 25, 2021

@David could you help provide some clarity or if anyone else knows please chime in. I received my email from Ford, and it stated the following:

"Your Bronco First Edition will now come with a carbonized gray molded-in-color roof, (you can see a version here) and your price will be adjusted accordingly."

"With these product updates, you now have until April 8, 2021 to work with your dealer to confirm any changes to your order."

If I am fine with the MIC top do I need to change my order by April 8th or will it be automatically changed? Conversely, if I want to keep my Painted Top do I still need to change my order by April 8th?

I guess I just don't know if I need to have my dealer change/mess with my order or not.
From our New Q&A thread:
If a Bronco two-door or four-door First Edition customer does not want the molded-in-color (MIC) roof, what happens to their 2021 order?
Given that the Bronco First Edition series is only a 2021 model year, these customers can choose another series by April 8, or keep the First Edition with MIC hardtop. If the customer elects to keep the MIC hardtop, then we are hoping to help make up for this with an additional 200,000 FordPass Rewards Points ($1000 value), when the customer takes delivery of their Bronco. Furthermore, we are providing complimentary sound deadening headliners on all Bronco two-door and four-door models now when ordered with a molded-in-color hard top roof. Since this is a standard option on First Edition series, we’ll be reducing the MSRP by $495.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
Giggles, Steve777468

Rank V

Mar 25, 2021

From our Q&A thread:
If a Bronco two-door or four-door First Edition customer does not want the molded-in-color (MIC) roof, what happens to their 2021 order?
Given that the Bronco First Edition series is only a 2021 model year, these customers can choose another series by April 8, or keep the First Edition with MIC hardtop. If the customer elects to keep the MIC hardtop, then we are hoping to help make up for this with an additional 200,000 FordPass Rewards Points ($1000 value), when the customer takes delivery of their Bronco. Furthermore, we are providing complimentary sound deadening headliners on all Bronco two-door and four-door models now when ordered with a molded-in-color hard top roof. Since this is a standard option on First Edition series, we’ll be reducing the MSRP by $495.

So just to confirm, if I do nothing then I get the MIC automatically and don't have to contact my dealer to make the changes to my order?

Life is a Highway

Mar 25, 2021

So just to confirm, if I do nothing then I get the MIC automatically and don't have to contact my dealer to make the changes to my order?
Contact your dealer