Advocate II

May 28, 2021
NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Fink
Hi all -

I have a 1996 Ford Bronco 5.0, manual tranny.

Any recommendations on what remote start system to purchase? Are there any plug n play options? I am also considering installing a Joying 10.1" head unit, and backup camera. (I don't know if there are any integrated systems...)

Thank you for any help/suggestions you can provide!

Reactions: TK1215

Rydfree

Rank VI

Promoter II

Sep 1, 2020
Alabama
First Name
Benny
Last Name
Bryant
Member #

There are some liability issues when installing remote starts on manual transmissions . My shop installed this brand for 15 years or longer and a few were in manual transmission vehicles. We put a park brake switch to make sure it was engaged and a neutral safety switch. The neutral switch can be a pain on some vehicles but doable. We never had one single problem out of this brand.

joe76

Rank IV

Super Supporter II

Oct 30, 2020
Reno, NV, USA
First Name
joe
Last Name
mello
Member #

Hi all -

I have a 1996 Ford Bronco 5.0, manual tranny.

Any recommendations on what remote start system to purchase? Are there any plug n play options? I am also considering installing a Joying 10.1" head unit, and backup camera. (I don't know if there are any integrated systems...)

Thank you for any help/suggestions you can provide!
Some places won't install a remote start on a manual transmission

The Bronze

Rank V

Promoter III

May 20, 2020
Colorado, USA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Shaw
Member #

I have done a number of Astro Starts with a manual transmission. It’s imperative that the safety circuits (dome light and parking brake) circuits are solid. I used them on a couple manual transmission cars I owned as well. Never had a problem. Just need to remember to arm it correctly prior to leaving the vehicle, which makes it a pain when you were not expecting to need it. I just completed the install of a computational remote start on my 67 (4R70W automatic). It was simple to install and start on the default settings, but the custom config settings with a remote is a pain in the ass.

MidniteToker

Rank 0

Advocate II

May 28, 2021
NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Fink
There are some liability issues when installing remote starts on manual transmissions . My shop installed this brand for 15 years or longer and a few were in manual transmission vehicles. We put a park brake switch to make sure it was engaged and a neutral safety switch. The neutral switch can be a pain on some vehicles but doable. We never had one single problem out of this brand.
Thank you so much for the reply. I'll look into it...

MidniteToker

Rank 0

Advocate II

May 28, 2021
NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Fink
Some places won't install a remote start on a manual transmission
I'm going to do the install myself (I've done around 8 installations, most recently on my 2016 Nissan NV 3500. I can't imagine a 1996 Ford should be too hard. I didn't think you could even do a remote start on a manual, but a professional installer told me it was possible.)

MidniteToker

Rank 0

Advocate II

May 28, 2021
NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Fink
I have done a number of Astro Starts with a manual transmission. It’s imperative that the safety circuits (dome light and parking brake) circuits are solid. I used them on a couple manual transmission cars I owned as well. Never had a problem. Just need to remember to arm it correctly prior to leaving the vehicle, which makes it a pain when you were not expecting to need it. I just completed the install of a computational remote start on my 67 (4R70W automatic). It was simple to install and start on the default settings, but the custom config settings with a remote is a pain in the ass.
Thank you very much for your help!