Remote start recommendations

MidniteToker
May 28, 2021

Rank I

May 28, 2021

Hi all -

I have a 1996 Ford Bronco 5.0, manual tranny.

Any recommendations on what remote start system to purchase? Are there any plug n play options? I am also considering installing a Joying 10.1" head unit, and backup camera. (I don't know if there are any integrated systems...)

Thank you for any help/suggestions you can provide!
TK1215
Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2021

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

May 28, 2021

There are some liability issues when installing remote starts on manual transmissions . My shop installed this brand for 15 years or longer and a few were in manual transmission vehicles. We put a park brake switch to make sure it was engaged and a neutral safety switch. The neutral switch can be a pain on some vehicles but doable. We never had one single problem out of this brand.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-dHSjh...X11xKeSHZHOxEqnHvu4mQKNXRLN4nHMxoCtgsQAvD_BwE
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."

Rank IV

May 28, 2021

Hi all -

I have a 1996 Ford Bronco 5.0, manual tranny.

Any recommendations on what remote start system to purchase? Are there any plug n play options? I am also considering installing a Joying 10.1" head unit, and backup camera. (I don't know if there are any integrated systems...)

Thank you for any help/suggestions you can provide!
Some places won't install a remote start on a manual transmission

Bronco guy doing Bronco-ey things with his Bronco

May 28, 2021

I have done a number of Astro Starts with a manual transmission. It’s imperative that the safety circuits (dome light and parking brake) circuits are solid. I used them on a couple manual transmission cars I owned as well. Never had a problem. Just need to remember to arm it correctly prior to leaving the vehicle, which makes it a pain when you were not expecting to need it. I just completed the install of a computational remote start on my 67 (4R70W automatic). It was simple to install and start on the default settings, but the custom config settings with a remote is a pain in the ass.
First Edition 4dr
1967 Bronco
1993 Mustang Notchback

Rank I

May 28, 2021

There are some liability issues when installing remote starts on manual transmissions . My shop installed this brand for 15 years or longer and a few were in manual transmission vehicles. We put a park brake switch to make sure it was engaged and a neutral safety switch. The neutral switch can be a pain on some vehicles but doable. We never had one single problem out of this brand.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-dHSjh...X11xKeSHZHOxEqnHvu4mQKNXRLN4nHMxoCtgsQAvD_BwE
Thank you so much for the reply. I'll look into it...

Rank I

May 28, 2021

Some places won't install a remote start on a manual transmission
I'm going to do the install myself (I've done around 8 installations, most recently on my 2016 Nissan NV 3500. I can't imagine a 1996 Ford should be too hard. I didn't think you could even do a remote start on a manual, but a professional installer told me it was possible.)

Rank I

May 28, 2021

I have done a number of Astro Starts with a manual transmission. It’s imperative that the safety circuits (dome light and parking brake) circuits are solid. I used them on a couple manual transmission cars I owned as well. Never had a problem. Just need to remember to arm it correctly prior to leaving the vehicle, which makes it a pain when you were not expecting to need it. I just completed the install of a computational remote start on my 67 (4R70W automatic). It was simple to install and start on the default settings, but the custom config settings with a remote is a pain in the ass.
Thank you very much for your help!

Rank V

Jan 17, 2022

Not much for one to give the best advice. But best of luck.