Regular vs Premium Fuel

benjaminkrawiec
Feb 02, 2021

Rank V

Feb 02, 2021

What type of fuel do you all use in your BS Badlands? I believe it only requires 87 but recommends premium? What are everyone’s thoughts on using premium and the inherent benefits of performance, fuel economy, and engine longevity?
Bronco_Girl, Bronclahoma
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 02, 2021

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Feb 02, 2021

Premium will help with performance and mileage a little because it will allow more spark advance before "knock". Running 87 won't hurt as the knock sensor will dial back spark advance.
Ditchrunner, Lakesinai

Rank VI

Feb 03, 2021

Coming from the point of view of a 2013 f150 with the ecoboost. I don’t put many miles on in a year so I only run premium through any ecoboost power plant. If you can’t get the ecoboost hot enough to burn the carbon up from regular you could have a valve problem down the road. At least that is my experience. Don’t know if that helps.
21 Wildtrak, Rapid Red, MIC, Tow, Lux, side steps, Built 12/21 delivered 3/22
katie the bronco, reneesoltis

Rank IV

Feb 03, 2021

What type of fuel do you all use in your BS Badlands? I believe it only requires 87 but recommends premium? What are everyone’s thoughts on using premium and the inherent benefits of performance, fuel economy, and engine longevity?
Run what the manufacturer specs. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...-the-fiction-behind-those-higher-priced-fuels
Bronco_Girl, Rgwinn

Rank V

Feb 04, 2021

Screenshot_2021-02-04-06-16-48-1.png

Screenshot_2021-02-04-06-17-49-1.png
This is from link posted under owners manual.
It goes on to talk about engine knocking...
Do not be concerned...read on...
Lakesinai, Rgwinn

Rank 0

Feb 24, 2021

I use 87 (or 85 out here in Colorado) in my 2017 Escape 2.0, which I assume is pretty similar to the Bronco Sport 2.0, and haven’t had any noticed anything abnormal.

Gladesmen

Feb 24, 2021

This is a great thread. I just filled up my new daily driver for the first time today a 2.0T Chevy the owners manual says that 93 is recommended but you could use 87, I used 93 this go around as I’m not sure what the dealership filled it with. The knock sensors and computer will do its job well and adjust the spark to delay the detonation but it will cost you performance and mileage. The manual did say if it does knock bad it could damage the motor. I was wondering if this was an issue with the Ford Ecoboost motors
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank VI

Feb 24, 2021

This is a great thread. I just filled up my new daily driver for the first time today a 2.0T Chevy the owners manual says that 93 is recommended but you could use 87, I used 93 this go around as I’m not sure what the dealership filled it with. The knock sensors and computer will do its job well and adjust the spark to delay the detonation but it will cost you performance and mileage. The manual did say if it does knock bad it could damage the motor. I was wondering if this was an issue with the Ford Ecoboost motors
The computer will detune so it remains safe. It’s part of the strategy in the ECU. while it’s safe to do so I plan on running premium fuel in mine. I would rather have the full power rating available and not run the engine with the retarded timing. I look at being able to run 87 as something I can still run if I’m somewhere and premium is not available. I am also planning on tuning mine at some point which will mean keeping it filled with premium. We run premium only in our Mustang and STI already. It won’t be a change for me.

Rank III

Mar 02, 2021

General rule of thumb for me is anything that has a turbo should get premium gas.

Due to the reason listed below:
Turbos generate more heat and boost which contributes to pre-ignition condition of the fuel in the engine. Premium gas is higher octane, so it resists pre-ignition better than regular gas.

Thats just what I have always followed. I prefer to have the car operate at its full potential when I need it to.

However, most modern cars are made to operate on normal gas. With or without a turbo.
guzie, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Mar 04, 2021

General rule of thumb for me is anything that has a turbo should get premium gas.

Due to the reason listed below:
Turbos generate more heat and boost which contributes to pre-ignition condition of the fuel in the engine. Premium gas is higher octane, so it resists pre-ignition better than regular gas.

Thats just what I have always followed. I prefer to have the car operate at its full potential when I need it to.

However, most modern cars are made to operate on normal gas. With or without a turbo.
Just adding to discussion after little bit of gooooogle reading

Screenshot_2021-03-02-13-38-06-1.png

Not arguing topic of octane.
Rather sharing to its discussion point.
Disclaimer on my comment here i'm not a mechanic.
Small google research describes differences in todays engine technologies and the uses of different octane levels.

As for ecoboost engine owners
Even hypothetically saying
if half owners use 87 and half 91
( theres probably more that use 87)
If a problem was present...
Think this would be a bigger topic
exposed in a big way.
Have never heard any large spread issue on this topic.
Aka- massive owners complaining-
To where Ford decided NOT to put
'Your vehicle is designed to use 87 octane'
in the owners manual.

Rank III

Mar 04, 2021

Just adding to discussion after little bit of gooooogle reading

View attachment 9700

Not argueing your topic of octane.
Rather sharing to its discussion point.
Disclaimer on my comment here i'm not a mechanic.
Small google research describes differences in todays engine technologies and the uses of different octane levels.

As for ecoboost engine owners
Even hypothetically saying
if half owners use 87 and half 91
( theres probably more that use 87)
This would be a prevelant topic
if it caused noticeable issues tjey would be exposed in a big way.
Have never heard any large spread issue on this topic.
Aka- massive owners complaining-
Where Ford decided NOT to put
Your vehicle is designed to use 87 octane in the owners manual.

Hey,

I guess I am a little confused to the response. I believe we are saying the same thing even down to your vehicle is designed to use 87? as I stated that most modern cars are used to operate on normal gas.

Rank V

Mar 04, 2021

Hey,

I guess I am a little confused to the response. I believe we are saying the same thing even down to your vehicle is designed to use 87? as I stated that most modern cars are used to operate on normal gas.
Yes we both posted modern vehicles are designed to operate on normal 87. Agree

Also found (think it was the opposite comment towards your about octanes) to your comment of using higher octane possibly being better.
In other words that discussion of knocking? or concern? went both directions.

Mostly i was commenting there does NOT seem to be a bad issue
with octane choice.

Rank V

Mar 04, 2021

@Ryneal21
Appreciate people posting topics like this. Made me do some research.
Didnt mean to be apposing your comment.
Just understanding topic.
It would be interesting to read feedback of owners who may switch octanes do to towing or climate/heat/cold.

Rank V

May 04, 2021

1620165742098.png
"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."

Lakesinai

May 05, 2021

I have used the 2.7 Ecoboost for 4.5 years in my 2016 F150 crew cab. About to clock 60,000 miles, all driven by me. The 2016 has a 6 speed transmission, no lift, stock. 3.55 axle, 285/65/18 tires. I can tell you these facts first-hand.

1. This truck has amazing power. Acceleration, response to throttle , torque on beach driving, reserve power when passing on the highway are all the best on any Ford engine I've owned, including the 351 & the V10. Its too easy to peel rubber (ok. It is a pickup).

2. I noticed the car sputtered a bit, occasionally, Iresearched it. I discovered that the engine specs recommend Premium Fuel. I found that out after 3 years of 87 octane. When I put in a tank of Premium, it ran smoother. And got a mile or 2 per gallon better mileage. So now, when i ferl like it, I put in a tank of 91 or 93. Mostly 87!

3. Gas mileage is 16-17 around town, 20-21 on the highway. I checked the cars' mileage computer once the old fashioned way, and it was sometimes 1 mpg favorable to Ford.

4. I have had zero issues with this engine! I did 1 $300+ injector service at the dealer, and another will be due later this year . . . After i trade for my OBX this summer.

5. My 2.7 in the F150 has been so powerful, i almost downsized to the 2.3 liter for the Bronco, thinking it was too much power for a smaller car. I decided to keep the 2.7, however, because my experience is so delightful with the engine, and the 2.7 has 2 turbos & 6 cylinders, to the 2.3 with 4 cylinders and only 1 turbo. Bad engines are not fun. and I've had one bad engine in a ford, the 6.0 Diesel in an Excursion. So, i like the 2.7, ill keep it! Plus, all i saw in the demo rides was the 2.7, so ill do that too!

6. In the Bronco, the 2.7 is detuned a bit, and the 2.7 had the injector system rededigned since my 2016 engine, so it is a bit different. I expect to get the same or better mileage in my Bronco, but who knows? My OBX with the rear locker/no Sasquatch has the 4.27 axle that used to be reserved for tow vehicles, and Sasquatch axles are 4.7? So mileage may suffer compared to my 3.55 F150, but . . . Who knows?! I also have NO experience with Fords new 10 speed transmission.

Thats my first hand experience with the 2.7.
SC OBX 2021 2.7, High, 4dr, ARB Air, Kuat Rack, Rear Locker, Non-Sas Beach Bronco
Zeni, Bronc96

Rank III

May 17, 2021

I've owned some non-Ford vehicles with 2.0L turbos . Very similar to Ford's. I own a BL now. I've always used regular except on occasion to compare mpg. I've never had a problem and I've not seen any credible evidence that burning regular in the Ford Ecoboosts harms them. I found that using premium boosted my mpg about 10 percent. So if the cost of premium is more than ten percent I don't get my money back by paying more. Most of the time premium costs more than ten percent more. From a cost standpoint, it doesn't seem spending extra for premium pays. If I am going to spend some time above the timberline, I buy premium. And in those locations the difference is usually a lot more than ten percent.
TrailReady, PSUTE

Rank IV

May 17, 2021

Lakesinai

May 17, 2021

I've owned some non-Ford vehicles with 2.0L turbos . Very similar to Ford's. I own a BL now. I've always used regular except on occasion to compare mpg. I've never had a problem and I've not seen any credible evidence that burning regular in the Ford Ecoboosts harms them. I found that using premium boosted my mpg about 10 percent. So if the cost of premium is more than ten percent I don't get my money back by paying more. Most of the time premium costs more than ten percent more. From a cost standpoint, it doesn't seem spending extra for premium pays. If I am going to spend some time above the timberline, I buy premium. And in those locations the difference is usually a lot more than ten percent.
Just got 23.4 mpg with regular over 1000 mile trip to OBX! I drived carefully due to lack of gas!
SC OBX 2021 2.7, High, 4dr, ARB Air, Kuat Rack, Rear Locker, Non-Sas Beach Bronco
SlashRacer

Rank V

May 19, 2021

Like this real world feedback type stuff!
benjaminkrawiec, Lakesinai

Rank III

May 20, 2021

Just got 23.4 mpg with regular over 1000 mile trip to OBX! I drived carefully due to lack of gas!
What's up with this? Would expect the 1.5L to get better over that distance.