Reducing Tire Size Questions (35" down to 33")

Zeni
Apr 02, 2021

Rank II

Apr 02, 2021

I think the 35 M/T tires look great on the 4D FE, but the reality is that this will also be my daily driver and I may want a more paved road friendly tire, I won't really know for sure until I get it on the road. If I did want to go down to say a 33" A/T tire later, what would be involved in changing the FE stock tire size down to a 33" tire? Some concerns of mine are how this would work with the 4.7 gearing ratio, the overall looks of the vehicle, will I need new rims, the rear break light above the spare tire sticking up to high, and some other issue I haven't thought of. Any input would be appreciated.
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 02, 2021

No Ragerts

Apr 02, 2021

I think the 35 M/T tires look great on the 4D FE, but the reality is that this will also be my daily driver and I may want a more paved road friendly tire, I won't really know for sure until I get it on the road. If I did want to go down to say a 33" A/T tire later, what would be involved in changing the FE stock tire size down to a 33" tire? Some concerns of mine are how this would work with the 4.7 gearing ratio, the overall looks of the vehicle, will I need new rims, the rear break light above the spare tire sticking up to high, and some other issue I haven't thought of. Any input would be appreciated.
I think the only real issue that you will have is speedometer calibration and there should be a fix for that via an aftermarket tuner.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Thane, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Apr 02, 2021

Going from 35's to 33's should not be a big deal. In fact you'll get a noticeable increase in acceleration and perceived power which will make it more fun on the street! Only thing you'll need to do is have the computer re-programmed to recognize the 33's so that your speedometer will read correctly. No new wheels will be needed and I certainly would not be concerned about the brake light - actually I thought it was height adjustable?? I could be wrong on that.
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Apr 04, 2021

And fuel mileage since the 33’s will turn more than the 35’s for the same mph.

Rank II

Apr 06, 2021

Your shift points will also be affected. Wheel speed increases with smaller diameter. This can also be fixed with a tuner.
Zeni, gibsBRonCO

Rank V

Apr 06, 2021

I think the dealer could change the specs on the tires. That would be cheaper than buying a tuner. (I hope.)
4 Door Badlands: Carbonized Gray, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Towing Package, 35" Tires ETC