Recovery D Rings

KennyMac
Apr 13, 2021

Rank V

Apr 13, 2021

If you have spent much time off road, you've been in a recovery situation and probably learned how incredibly helpful good quality D-Rings can be in your arsenal of trail goodies. I have a bunch, but just ordered a pair of these in gray to hang on the front recovery points of my carb gray BL. There's lots of attractive colors to pick from and the price is hard to beat. Other than that, I can't say much because I don't even have them yet. Or the Bronco to use them on...
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Commodore, BuzzyBud
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2021

Rank VI

Apr 13, 2021

They look silly.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Commodore

Rank VI

Apr 13, 2021

I put 4 shackles on my Jeep...$40 each. Now I am looking at the Bronco and figure I will go with soft shackles and a kinetic tow rope. No more rust points with the shackle and the soft shackles are vastly stronger than the steel shackles, less expensive and they actually float if you toss one to someone and it lands in water.
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches
Commodore, Bronclahoma

Rank 0

May 01, 2021

IMHO.
Hard bow shackles are fine for most applications but you need to buy actual rated and tested shackles. Not the stuff from the 4wd places. there is actually a lifting spec, batch numbering as well as proper testing that you need to look for.

Having 4.5T stamped on the shackle is not enough, if they don't batch test them, its simply marketing.

lifting industry rated shackles are made by
Crosby (USA)
Van Beest Green Pin (neatherlands)
among others..

To compare shackle types look at the MBS (minimum breaking strength or load). A rated bow shackle is 6 x WLL (working load limit):
So a Green pin 4.75T bow shackle is rated at a minimum breaking load of 57,000lbs
vs say an ARB soft shackle which is rated at 32,000lbs
or a standard single rope soft shackle they are all over the place in ratings..
Commodore, Bronc96

Rank VI

May 01, 2021

I am seeing more people doing recovery with kinetic rope and soft shackles, using frame mounted hard recovery points.
Idea being less metal to fly around should something give.

and just saw a post about these on Facebook;

https://www.bigfootwinchropes.com/soft-shackles
Ordered: 4-Door First Edition - Rapid Red - Black Seats - MIC Top - Build Date: 10/25
In Garage: ‘62 Red Vette - ‘07 Black Shelby Ragtop - ‘21 F150 Platinum PowerBoost - Rapid Red
Commodore, KennyMac

Rank 0

May 02, 2021

A dynamic recovery should be your last option, VS a static (winching for example) recovery..

Sometimes its needed but we only use it as a backup. The risks are a lot less with a winch recovery.
Commodore, Bronc96

Rank III

May 02, 2021

I frequently watch Matt's Off-road Recovery on YouTube. He uses a modified old Jeep Cherokee with kinetic ropes and soft shackles most of the time. Lives in Hurricane, UT and does a lot of deep sand recoveries. Yankum is the brand ropes he uses. Amazing what he is able to do. Give the channel a look.
Commodore, KennyMac