Rain Sensing Wipers?

MN_OuterBanks
Mar 27, 2021

Rank V

Mar 27, 2021

So I was thinking the other day as I was driving in my 2014 Taurus Limited....I never checked the availability of rain sensing wipers. It’s a beautiful thing not having to jack around with wipers. Looked at the specs of the OBX and just says intermittent delay wipers.
With the camera mounted for copilot 360 and cruise etc, why did they not put in rain sensing wipers? Am I the only one that thinks that would have been a great option?
JJACK502
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2021

Gladesmen

Mar 27, 2021

I would like them but don’t need them. We have them on our Suburban it’s nice but also can be annoying. The sensor is behind the rear view mirror and if it gets a bug or dirt on it, it thinks it’s raining so you will be driving on a nice sunny day then all of a sudden the wipers come on. It can startle you. Also I always forget to turn them off when we go through the car wash. But I do like (in our crazy Texas rains) that it will adjust the speed depending on the amount of rainfall.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Rydfree, TorgSurv

Libations MOD

Mar 27, 2021

I'm with @Jakob1972 more a hassle than they are worth, especially when driving highways in the midwest with all the bugs some days
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Gutter Clown, Rydfree

Rank V

Mar 27, 2021

Never had a problem with my Taurus. They’ve never just come on for no reason.
Gutter Clown

Rank VI

Mar 27, 2021

So I was thinking the other day as I was driving in my 2014 Taurus Limited....I never checked the availability of rain sensing wipers. It’s a beautiful thing not having to jack around with wipers. Looked at the specs of the OBX and just says intermittent delay wipers.
With the camera mounted for copilot 360 and cruise etc, why did they not put in rain sensing wipers? Am I the only one that thinks that would have been a great option?
My favorite setting I've seen from Ford is "Courtesy Wipe"
When I read that with my explorer I was like wtf is this and later figured it was a setting to have your wipers go one more time after you turn them off.

But seriously whoever named that setting is godly lol.
Wildtrak, 4DR, Iconic Silver, High, Camo Seats.
TEEDEE, ATC Enthusiast

Rank IV

Mar 29, 2021

When I read that with my explorer I was like wtf is this and later figured it was a setting to have your wipers go one more time after you turn them off.

A ton of people refer to it as the "Courtesy Smear" The thought was that it would wipe off the water that drips onto your windshield after your wipers stop when you use the washer function. In reality it just wipes the dry windshield once and makes a streak with the little bit of water and whatever dirt was mixed into it. It wasn't popular with Ford owners and most people hate it. I had an Escape with it and it was not something you had the option of turning off. I think it only lasted a couple of model years before being removed from everything, never to be seen again.
Deano Bronc, DRWright

Rank VI

Mar 29, 2021

A ton of people refer to it as the "Courtesy Smear" The thought was that it would wipe off the water that drips onto your windshield after your wipers stop when you use the washer function. In reality it just wipes the dry windshield once and makes a streak with the little bit of water and whatever dirt was mixed into it. It wasn't popular with Ford owners and most people hate it. I had an Escape with it and it was not something you had the option of turning off. I think it only lasted a couple of model years before being removed from everything, never to be seen again.
Well at least they tried. :ROFLMAO:
Wildtrak, 4DR, Iconic Silver, High, Camo Seats.
Deano Bronc

Rank V

Mar 29, 2021

I love it. My Taurus has it and my f150 supercrew has it.

Rank III

Mar 29, 2021

Not having to activate wipers in rain yet having to de-activate at carwash proved more than useless in my Audi.
ATC Enthusiast, DRWright

Rank II

Mar 29, 2021

I hated them on my '13 F-150. Just aggravated me more than helped. The ones on my wife's Mustang are better. But you can be riding down the road on a sunny day, and the dang things will give you a wipe. And not the good kind I'm telling ya.......:)
"I think donuts define ones copliness" - Luther "Suitcase" Simpson
Deano Bronc, DRWright

Rank III

Mar 29, 2021

Bonus!
You'll receive the privilege of paying more for a replacement windshield (can you tell I am still bitter?).
Deano Bronc, ATC Enthusiast

Rank VI

Mar 31, 2021

My wife's Mercedes has these, I hate them. :LOL:
Raptor w/ lux package, orange belts. Code Orange.
BN #306

Rank IV

Mar 31, 2021

They're also designing a feature that would empty all the washer fluid. It will be called the "courtesy flush"
2017 Nissan Titan XD 4x4
2021 Ford Bronco Big Bend 4dr, cactus gray, soft top, 4.27 rear end
June 7--no wait, June 28 build date
DRWright