Doors off

wmneill
Mar 10, 2022

Rank V

Mar 10, 2022

Has anyone driven around with their doors off?
On the road I mean
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2022

Rank I

Mar 10, 2022

Has anyone driven around with their doors off?
On the road I mean
Yes, it's amazing!!20210813_200843.jpg
Kathleen, Trialmx

Rank V

Mar 11, 2022

Yes, it's amazing!!View attachment 31172
Awesome! First thing I’m doing when the weather gets better , even tho id wear a heavy jacket and drive around in winter like that lol
Laura, 14U

Rank III

Mar 11, 2022

2nd day of ownership....it's my preferred method.of travel.

Get with me on this door reinstall procedure though. Hahaha. I had loads of unnecessary problems.
richtor, 14U

Moab or bust!!!

Mar 11, 2022

2nd day of ownership....it's my preferred method.of travel.

Get with me on this door reinstall procedure though. Hahaha. I had loads of unnecessary problems.
I've heard it can be tricky the first few times. Some have actually scratched/chipped their paint. Any tips on putting them back on?
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
14U

Standing Grumpy Face

Mar 11, 2022

I honestly have no desire to take the doors off when I get mine. I'll probably do it once just for the fun of it. But after having a Wrangler and a Gladiator and driving with the doors off, I will say I'm not a big fan. It was Ok for slow around town driving. But on the highway with the Freedom Panels off it was like driving through a hurricane. I'm good with just having the soft top down.

The Bronco does look cool with the doors off I will say.
Jakob1972, wmneill

Rank VI

Mar 11, 2022

The doors provide a ton of structural support to keep the body from flexing. Driving around town probably would not be an issue.... but if you start flexing over large bumps while off-roading I would keep a close eye on the drip rails where the top connects to the body and windshield supports.

When us old timers take our 300 lb fiberglass tops off ... it puts a lot of stress on seams ...... unless you install a full roll cage to keep everything nice and tight.

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Mar 11, 2022

Anyone else look at the 10 day weather report hoping for nice days?
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Kathleen, Slownstddy

Standing Grumpy Face

Mar 11, 2022

Anyone else look at the 10 day weather report hoping for nice days?

We were 78° on Monday and they are calling for snow and freezing conditions tomorrow. Gotta love Mid-Atlantic weather.
Slownstddy, Speed Devil

Rank I

Mar 11, 2022

I honestly have no desire to take the doors off when I get mine. I'll probably do it once just for the fun of it. But after having a Wrangler and a Gladiator and driving with the doors off, I will say I'm not a big fan. It was Ok for slow around town driving. But on the highway with the Freedom Panels off it was like driving through a hurricane. I'm good with just having the soft top down.

The Bronco does look cool with the doors off I will say.
With the top and doors off the Bronco it is actually quite pleasant and not anywhere near a hurricane. If there is a side wind you do notice that but on calm days you can actually have a conversation at highway speeds. I apologize I can't compare to a jeep.
Garemlin, Speed Devil

Standing Grumpy Face

Mar 11, 2022

With the top and doors off the Bronco it is actually quite pleasant and not anywhere near a hurricane. If there is a side wind you do notice that but on calm days you can actually have a conversation at highway speeds. I apologize I can't compare to a jeep.

Might be the mirrors breaking the wind. I'll give it a shot I'm sure.

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Mar 11, 2022

2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Deano Bronc

Rank III

Mar 12, 2022

I've heard it can be tricky the first few times. Some have actually scratched/chipped their paint. Any tips on putting them back on?
It's not hard, but I definitely recommend it be a 2 person job if you want to make sure to avoid chipping, especially on the reinstall part.

The paint chips without much contact at all.

Once you fit the doors back on the square peg, put the bolts in and tighten mist of the way. Then have your partner pick up a bit on the door end to get it level and finish tightening the bolts.

If you don't get the bolts tightened and the door level, it clicks when you open and close, so you will know if you got it right or wrong.
wmneill, Deano Bronc

js2.b6g

Mar 12, 2022

972841A1-B849-45E7-ABAA-66E60A404387.jpeg6F25DF7A-E8F7-4853-8E28-FA207004399F.jpeg
This is from last summer. Can’t wait for the warm weather to return to Michigan!
2021 | 4-Door | Wildtrak | Oxford White | 2.7 | High | Leather | MIC | Tow Package
Reservation Opening Night - Blend 06.29.21 - Built 06/30/21 - Delivered 07.01.2021
IG: @JmSchultz22​
wmneill, Kathleen

Rank VI

Mar 12, 2022

We were 78° on Monday and they are calling for snow and freezing conditions tomorrow. Gotta love Mid-Atlantic weather.
Yep. Woke up to this. Should be the last one this season. 20220312_065921.jpg
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
wmneill

Standing Grumpy Face

Mar 12, 2022

Yep. Woke up to this. Should be the last one this season. View attachment 31285

Pouring rain here right now and they are calling for 1-3" of snow and a flash freeze later in the day. Back into the 60s by Monday.
wmneill

Rank V

Mar 12, 2022

I"m planning on packing a length of rubber tubing split lengthwise along one side in my tool kit to place on the door or fender edge when removing and installing the doors. Well that is, once I take delivery.
22 Badlands, 4dr, Ox white, MiC, 2.3l, 7MT, High, nonsquatch. Ordered 10/26/21. Received 10/12/22.
wmneill, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Mar 12, 2022

Had them off and on a couple of times.

Suggestions:

Don't do it yourself.
Lay a moving blanket or one of the below, under the door.
Use the heavy duty storage bags by putting them on the door prior to removal.
Have your DRP (door removal partner lol) guide the doors and put the bolts in as you hold them.

tempImagesqLuNL.png
Bronco Nation 278
IndianaBroncos on Facebook​
wmneill, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Mar 12, 2022

I've taken my doors off at 50+ times. Very easy to do by yourself. I built a storage rack for them to store them upright in my shed. The doors are very light and easy to take off and put back on. The paint on the leading edge is very thin and can chip if not careful. I was proactive and lined the leading edge with PPF and haven't had any issues. Make sure to tighten the bolts pretty good after you put the doors back on as they will loosen over time. I had a bolt fall out while driving. Heard it clank off the running boards. Spare bolts are cheap and easy to find at Home Depot. Top bolt is a M8 1.25 x 35mm and bottom bolt is M8 1.25x16mm. Bolt and washer was about $0.50. Just in case any one loses one of their door bolts! Have never driven a jeep without doors but the Bronco is quite enjoyable without doors. A much different ride than with them. Very fun and not very loud. I've driven hundreds of miles on the highway with them off and not an issue.
OBX 4 Dr / Lux / Leather / Tow / Orange / Soft Top / 2.7L
Res: 7/15/20 - OD: 2/19/21 - IP: 6/23 - Built 6/27 - Rec 7/9
wmneill, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Mar 12, 2022

View attachment 31273View attachment 31274
This is from last summer. Can’t wait for the warm weather to return to Michigan!
Growing up in GR that would be sometime in July I recon!!! LOL
Outer Banks, 4 Dr, 2.7L, Sasquatch, MOD Hard Top, HD Bumper, Lux Package, Tow, Cloth Navy Pier, Oxford White
wmneill