Is there enough of a difference in ride to justify switching from OEM 225/65/R17 to 235/65/R17 tires?

BSBLdude968
Jan 09, 2024

Rank 0

Jan 09, 2024

I am sure this question gets asked a lot! I built my 2022 BSBL with the stock 225/65/R17 tires to save money and am considering up-sizing tires to the 29" 235/65/R17. I am even curious about 245/65/R17, which would probably be more noticeably different.

I am aware of the likely inaccuracy that will occur in my speedometer, but am wondering if it is enough of a difference to avoid up-sizing the tires all together. Additionally, will it even make that much of a practical difference other than looks? We are talking about only a 1/2 inch increase in overall diameter, and even less of an increase in width.

Thanks for the help! There is a lot of information out there and I am trying to parse it out. See below:Screenshot 2024-01-09 151134.png

Attachments

Rank 0

Jan 09, 2024

I also Have a 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands that came with the 225's. I switched to 235 65 17 BF Goodrich Trail Terrains OWL. The Scorpions looked lame. I like the looks of the BFG's much better. They have excellent traction, but are still quiet on the highway. 235's are available as a factory option, and work for my use. I nearly have them wore out and will be buying a new set again soon.

Attachments

BSBLdude968

Rank 0

Jan 09, 2024

I also Have a 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands that came with the 225's. I switched to 235 65 17 BF Goodrich Trail Terrains OWL. The Scorpions looked lame. I like the looks of the BFG's much better. They have excellent traction, but are still quiet on the highway. 235's are available as a factory option, and work for my use. I nearly have them wore out and will be buying a new set again soon.

That looks sweet! I looked at those tires, thought they were pretty good. Do you notice an inaccuracy in your speedometer? My mechanic said it probably wouldn't be worth it, but I don't think there would be potential for any major issues unless I went up to like a 30" tire or so. Glad to hear its working out for you.

Rank VI

Jan 09, 2024

That looks sweet! I looked at those tires, thought they were pretty good. Do you notice an inaccuracy in your speedometer? My mechanic said it probably wouldn't be worth it, but I don't think there would be potential for any major issues unless I went up to like a 30" tire or so. Glad to hear its working out for you.

1704833992177.png

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

Speedometer would be off slightly. Even going to a 30" probably not too much. You'll notice a slight drop in MPG, but ride quality should be very similar, depending on the tire you choose.
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
BSBLdude968

Rank 0

Jan 09, 2024

1704833992177.png

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

Speedometer would be off slightly. Even going to a 30" probably not too much. You'll notice a slight drop in MPG, but ride quality should be very similar, depending on the tire you choose.

What about performance off-road? Is that extra 1/2 inch enough to improve it?

Rank 0

Jan 09, 2024

Every little bit helps. I did not take it off-road till I had the BFG's on. First time off-road was TFL's Andrei's Pit , it did excellent ! Check it out.
BSBLdude968

Rank I

Jan 10, 2024

You are assuming the speedometer is right from the factory with the 225/65/17 tires. Mine read high compared to my GPS, by ~1mph. I then bought some 245/65/17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T's, which are 3/10" bigger in diameter than most 245's and depending on exactly where my cruise control is set my GPS now reads 1-2mph higher, than the speedometer, so it would probably be spot on with a 235/65/17.

Rank VI

Jan 10, 2024

What about performance off-road? Is that extra 1/2 inch enough to improve it?

The extra 1/2" will give you an extra 1/4" of clearance. So you are talking negligible numbers here. It's your call, but I'd say you'd be doing it more for looks.

Now if you went to a different tire than what is stock (which I don't know what is as I don't have a Sport), that could give better performance off-road.

Rank V

Jan 10, 2024

You are assuming the speedometer is right from the factory with the 225/65/17 tires. Mine read high compared to my GPS, by ~1mph. I then bought some 245/65/17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T's, which are 3/10" bigger in diameter than most 245's and depending on exactly where my cruise control is set my GPS now reads 1-2mph higher, than the speedometer, so it would probably be spot on with a 235/65/17.

That's assuming your gps is right. They aren't always accurate either.

Rank 0

Jan 11, 2024

The extra 1/2" will give you an extra 1/4" of clearance. So you are talking negligible numbers here. It's your call, but I'd say you'd be doing it more for looks.

Now if you went to a different tire than what is stock (which I don't know what is as I don't have a Sport), that could give better performance off-road.

Thanks! Ya know, I am going for looks! Not gonna lie LOL. But chose Firestone Destination AT2! Since I am not doing a TON of off road, my mechanic thought these would satisfy. Great for roads too, from what I understand. Will send pic. settled on the 235/65/r17! In no small part thanks to all the input.
Deano Bronc, EvlNvrDys

Rank I

Jan 11, 2024

Thanks! Ya know, I am going for looks! Not gonna lie LOL. But chose Firestone Destination AT2! Since I am not doing a TON of off road, my mechanic thought these would satisfy. Great for roads too, from what I understand. Will send pic. settled on the 235/65/r17! In no small part thanks to all the input.

If it's not to late, you might want to consider the Firestone's in a 235/70/17. At 30" in diameter, that size has been proven to fit, in another brand and the A/T2's, in general, have a narrower tread width, than most other brands/models. They are also rated as an Off Road A/T Tire, by Tire Rack, unlike some others, that are rated as, on road A/T tires. The Firestone's were a top two rated tire by www.tyrereviews.com and they did actual off road testing.

Rank 0

Jan 11, 2024

If it's not to late, you might want to consider the Firestone's in a 235/70/17. At 30" in diameter, that size has been proven to fit, in another brand and the A/T2's, in general, have a narrower tread width, than most other brands/models. They are also rated as an Off Road A/T Tire, by Tire Rack, unlike some others, that are rated as, on road A/T tires. The Firestone's were a top two rated tire by www.tyrereviews.com and they did actual off road testing.

Thanks! I looked into that, it seems like while the 30" fits, its only about 1/4" off from rubbing at full lock when suspension is uncompressed (https://www.broncosportforum.com/fo...-just-barely-firestone-destination-at2s.6359/). So I decided against it (for now) I think the 29" tires will meet my needs at the moment and also give me some time safely evaluate performance subjectively. I may go to 245/65/17 at some point!

Rank 0

Jan 11, 2024

Every little bit helps. I did not take it off-road till I had the BFG's on. First time off-road was TFL's Andrei's Pit , it did excellent ! Check it out.

This is a sweet video and ride by the way! Love the decal work! You sold me on the tire sizing/application!

I’ve gotta find somewhere to play around. May have said in the video but where was that filmed?

Rank 0

Jan 11, 2024

This is a sweet video and ride by the way! Love the decal work! You sold me on the tire sizing/application!

I’ve gotta find somewhere to play around. May have said in the video but where was that filmed?

Nevermind lol! Andrei’s pit 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️.

Little John

Jan 12, 2024

I run the 245/65R17 on my 2021 BSBL. I have not had any issues with this size of tire. I have 30,000 miles on these tires. They are Perelli Scorpion All Terrain. I used the tire -size- calculator on Discount Tires website it will show MPH of the new size tire vs. stock O.E.M. size.

Rank 0

Jan 12, 2024

I run the 245/65R17 on my 2021 BSBL. I have not had any issues with this size of tire. I have 30,000 miles on these tires. They are Perelli Scorpion All Terrain. I used the tire -size- calculator on Discount Tires website it will show MPH of the new size tire vs. stock O.E.M. size.

Dang I’m surprised you stuck with the Pirelli! Mine were crapped out by 25k! But it was the stock 225/65/17!

I think you’re onto it with the 245, 29 inchers! Seems like a happy medium between the seemingly too tall 235/70/17, and the not-much-different 235/65/17!

From what I understand you get better clearance, width, looks, and no rub (which means no reason to mod) but also reasonable enough to maintain ride quality on road!

Little John

Jan 12, 2024

This is not the same tire as the stock Pirelli. Look on Discount Tire website under Pirelli All Terrain tires. This tire is more expensive than stock tire $ 245.00 ea. Also more aggressive than stock tire.
BSBLdude968

Little John

Jan 12, 2024

The Pirelli All Terrain Plus .

Rank VI

Jan 12, 2024

If you're going for looks, which I have absolutely NO problem with that. Why don't you slap on a 2" spacer lift and some 285's on there? 😁 The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T is a pretty nice tire. Go big or go home! 😉
BSBLdude968

Rank 0

Jan 13, 2024

Well here they are! Feel great so far (haven’t driven that much since a couple hours ago lol). Definitely got the looks though!

Firestone Destination 235/65/17

Call me crazy, but it doesn’t seem like the speedometer is off at all! Do you think Ford anticipates that a lot of people with the BL trim are going to upsize tires and calibrates them accordingly?

Also, mechanic inflated to 38 psi, 6 psi higher than recommended. Is this because it’s midwinter in PA? Or did he mess up? Or is that related to the tire?

IMG_5306.jpeg
EvlNvrDys