Photochop of what 9" wheels vs. 8" wheels on Badlands might look like, with stock back spacing

GToddC5
Dec 17, 2020

Rank V

Dec 17, 2020

Today at least, I'm settled on getting Badlands, 2 Dr. 2.3 w/ 7spd. and high package. I don't want to wait for ManSquatch, but love the look of bigger tires. I think they should have gone with a 9" wide wheel for Squatch, but whatever. I don't want to throw on 35s too early without a lift, and don't want to throw spacers or suspension mods at the thing right away, until suppliers have a chance to get their shit together. Still, I'd like to have a beefier look relatively quick after taking delivery, without a huge expense. So knowing from my own experience that overall width of a tire and wheel combo can vary based on rim width, it got me thinking of buying a set of 9" wide aftermarket wheels (which I wanted to do anyway) but installing the stock 33" BFGs until they wear out. I'd find a set with the same back spacing as the stock 8" wide wheels. So not only will the tire section width measure wider once mounted, but the wheels and tires would be pushed out 1" each side, increasing overall vehicle width by 2" (closer to Squatch). So not as tall or wide as Squatch, but beefier than stock Badlands. I think it's a great option, rather than spending $1k on the optional Badlands wheels, to spend a little more for aftermarket wheels that I like even better. Here is a quick chop I put together, based off the comparison pic of Badlands vs. Squatch already being thrown around:

Badlands 9 inch wheels vs 8 inch vs Squatch.jpg
Reserved 7/14/20 - Ordered Converted 1/19/21: 2 Dr Cyber Orange Badlands w/ 2.3L, 7MT, MGV, High, Tow
Tentative Build Date - Week of 11/15/21
Toys: 1971 FJ40 - 1989 Toyota Pickup - 1998 C5 vert
draykas, JFord
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

Today at least, I'm settled on getting Badlands, 2 Dr. 2.3 w/ 7spd. and high package. I don't want to wait for ManSquatch, but love the look of bigger tires. I think they should have gone with a 9" wide wheel for Squatch, but whatever. I don't want to throw on 35s too early without a lift, and don't want to throw spacers or suspension mods at the thing right away, until suppliers have a chance to get their shit together. Still, I'd like to have a beefier look relatively quick after taking delivery, without a huge expense. So knowing from my own experience that overall width of a tire and wheel combo can vary based on rim width, it got me thinking of buying a set of 9" wide aftermarket wheels (which I wanted to do anyway) but installing the stock 33" BFGs until they wear out. I'd find a set with the same back spacing as the stock 8" wide wheels. So not only will the tire section width measure wider once mounted, but the wheels and tires would be pushed out 1" each side, increasing overall vehicle width by 2" (closer to Squatch). So not as tall or wide as Squatch, but beefier than stock Badlands. I think it's a great option, rather than spending $1k on the optional Badlands wheels, to spend a little more for aftermarket wheels that I like even better. Here is a quick chop I put together, based off the comparison pic of Badlands vs. Squatch already being thrown around:

View attachment 6511
Good chop job!
Wider is better...
Broncobuster

Rank 0

Jan 04, 2021

Something like this.

Attachments

Commodore

Rank VI

Jan 04, 2021

I’ll go against the grain with this and say I like narrow rims, specifically 8” ones. The narrow rims hold the tire on the wheel better at lower pressures. I’ve also found that the wider contact patch at street pressures tend to grab things on the pavement more. I like the classic look of the pizza cutters though.
smrpilot, Commodore

Rank IV

Jan 15, 2021

Cold FJ40.jpg

We've had wide, 35x15.5. While fun, they don't work as well on the trail. The FJ40 has narrower rubber and steelies for the trails of the PNW now. Now if you're in the desert or sand, carry on...
2021 2 Door A51 Badlands, 2.3 Manual, Hi Pkg, and Tow
7/14/20 Reservation, 1/20/21 Order, 11/15/21 Build Week
Flourman

Rank V

Jan 15, 2021

View attachment 7628

We've had wide, 35x15.5. While fun, they don't work as well on the trail. The FJ40 has narrower rubber and steelies for the trails of the PNW now. Now if you're in the desert or sand, carry on...

I have pizza cutters on my FJ40, I'm looking for wider on the Bronco. I'll likely keep a narrower set for winter duty though.
Reserved 7/14/20 - Ordered Converted 1/19/21: 2 Dr Cyber Orange Badlands w/ 2.3L, 7MT, MGV, High, Tow
Tentative Build Date - Week of 11/15/21
Toys: 1971 FJ40 - 1989 Toyota Pickup - 1998 C5 vert
smrpilot