Overlanding Setups

toddward
Oct 21, 2020

Rank IV

Oct 21, 2020

I was curious what people are planning for they're overlanding setups? I think my base will be the Badlands 4-door w/ Sasquatch package. But, not entirely sure about the equipment to get set up the best overlanding experience.
Stereo, BuzzyBud
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2020

Rank VI

Oct 21, 2020

After I had added what I wanted on mine I realized I kept building the wild trak each time snd found that it was cheaper to just get the wild trak with marine grade interior. That is the simplest way of explaining it. Plus add roof rack light kit with cross bracket, roof tray for storage, brush guard, winch bracket, sliding floor tray in the rear storage area.
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
Overlanding4Fun

Moab or bust!!!

Oct 21, 2020

@BuzzyBud has a lot of great threads started on the subject.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Slownstddy, Jakob1972

Rank VI

Oct 21, 2020

I was curious what people are planning for they're overlanding setups? I think my base will be the Badlands 4-door w/ Sasquatch package. But, not entirely sure about the equipment to get set up the best overlanding experience.

My goal is to go overlanding with my Bronco. I have several phases in mind. I plan to purchase a Badlands 2 door with tow package for a trailer to be added in 2022. In 2021 my focus will be on training in recovery, communications and navigation. I hope my Bronco delivery will be no later than July so I can get a lot accomplished. Fingers crossed!
Hulkbuster19, Deano Bronc

Gladesmen

Oct 21, 2020

For overlanding I want to keep the inside of the Bronco as clean as possible so I will be rebuilding my teardrop trailer. I do not plan to pull the trailer all the way with me My thoughts are to set up a base camp. Although I will add 32” tires and lift the teardrop 4”. Just need a roof rack for some traction boards and miscellaneous stuff. Might put a RTT on the teardrop in case my boys want to come along.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Hulkbuster19, Hobgoblin

Rank VI

Oct 21, 2020

For overlanding I want to keep the inside of the Bronco as clean as possible so I will be rebuilding my teardrop trailer. I do not plan to pull the trailer all the way with me My thoughts are to set up a base camp. Although I will add 32” tires and lift the teardrop 4”. Just need a roof rack for some traction boards and miscellaneous stuff. Might put a RTT on the teardrop in case my boys want to come along.

Sounds like an excellent approach. Like yourself, I will basecamp. On overland trips I hope to keep the center of gravity in my Bronco as low as possible. My preferred trailer will have the same 35s as my Bronco and may end up carrying most of my recovery gear.
Jakob1972, Slownstddy

Rank VI

Oct 21, 2020

Im looking at a trailer as well. I wanted to use the roof rack for recovery gear keeping the weight off it. I am considering if its offered to add a lift with the SAS to get more ground clearance. Not looking to rock crawl much but dont wanna get hung on a tree trying to ford a creek either.
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
Hulkbuster19, Jakob1972

Rank VI

Oct 21, 2020

Im looking at a trailer as well. I wanted to use the roof rack for recovery gear keeping the weight off it. I am considering if its offered to add a lift with the SAS to get more ground clearance. Not looking to rock crawl much but dont wanna get hung on a tree trying to ford a creek either.
Here is a video on a comparison of 31", 33" and 35" tires. @BuzzyBud you may have put me onto this in a previous thread. Not fully sure?

All of the threads start to blend together. I thought it was a great review of how the different size tires work on the same vehicle.

LoneRanger, Slownstddy

Rank IV

Oct 21, 2020

I've been looking at trailers as well for a stage #2 kind of thing. Initially we're talking about:
  • Setting up a roof rack with some fairly low profile storage, with a good coverage awning (something like Ghostawn 360)
  • Tents/sleeping bags in the back as well.
  • Cook setup on the real tailgate
  • ARB fridge/freezer.
Question about power setups on overland vehicles. How are you guys powering it? Just running off the primary battery?

I'm personally thinking about setting up a separate battery bank and doing something like the following: https://www.notion.so/toddward/Solar-Setups-c67a632c061e403fabee69c639b976ee
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Oct 21, 2020

I've been looking at trailers as well for a stage #2 kind of thing. Initially we're talking about:
  • Setting up a roof rack with some fairly low profile storage, with a good coverage awning (something like Ghostawn 360)
  • Tents/sleeping bags in the back as well.
  • Cook setup on the real tailgate
  • ARB fridge/freezer.
Question about power setups on overland vehicles. How are you guys powering it? Just running off the primary battery?

I'm personally thinking about setting up a separate battery bank and doing something like the following: https://www.notion.so/toddward/Solar-Setups-c67a632c061e403fabee69c639b976ee

There may not be space in the Bronco for a second battery. Whatever space I have may be used for an onboard compressor. In a trailer I hope to use a Battle Born lithium and Hard Korr solar. Will need a few more pennies in the piggy bank!
Stereo

Rank IV

Oct 21, 2020

There may not be space in the Bronco for a second battery. Whatever space I have may be used for an onboard compressor. In a trailer I hope to use a Battle Born lithium and Hard Korr solar. Will need a few more pennies in the piggy bank!

Guess we'll have to wait and see.
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Oct 21, 2020

Here is a video on a comparison of 31", 33" and 35" tires. @BuzzyBud you may have put me onto this in a previous thread. Not fully sure?

All of the threads start to blend together. I thought it was a great review of how the different size tires work on the same vehicle.

Awsome..thank you sir...(y)(y)(y)
Hobgoblin, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Oct 21, 2020

Awsome..thank you sir...(y)(y)(y)
My pleasure. Glad to help.

Rank IV

Oct 22, 2020

@BuzzyBud What's your opinion, 2.3L or 2.7L for Overland? I'm thinking the 2.3L will be more useful for effective range than anything. I'd be curious for your (or anyones) opinion.
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Oct 22, 2020

@BuzzyBud What's your opinion, 2.3L or 2.7L for Overland? I'm thinking the 2.3L will be more useful for effective range than anything. I'd be curious for your (or anyones) opinion.

Although I feel many Bronco owners will be happy with the 2.3L, I am planning to purchase the 2.7L. My reasoning is because I plan to spend most of my time towing a trailer and exploring mountain areas. The White Mountains, Green Mountains, and Rocky Mountains are all calling me. I believe the 2.7L will serve me well.
Hulkbuster19, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Oct 22, 2020

Although I feel many Bronco owners will be happy with the 2.3L, I am planning to purchase the 2.7L. My reasoning is because I plan to spend most of my time towing a trailer and exploring mountain areas. The White Mountains, Green Mountains, and Rocky Mountains are all calling me. I believe the 2.7L will serve me well.

You thinking manual or automatic?

Rank VI

Oct 22, 2020

You thinking manual or automatic?

I will be selecting the automatic (I believe it is my only choice with the 2.7L) and that will allow me to use "Trail Control" and "Trail Turn Assist". The 2.7L will give me "Trail One-Pedal Driving" Yummy!!
Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Oct 22, 2020

Oh, that's true, I completely keep forgetting about that. Yea, the automatic goodies sure are nice.
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Oct 22, 2020

I think overlanding I'll need the 2.7 just for the extra power to weight ratio for fuel mileage on the open road.
LoneRanger, BuzzyBud

Rank III

Nov 04, 2020

I feel like this topic needs it's own thread, there's so much to discuss! :unsure:

I'm leaning towards keeping my bronco pretty bare and tow everything I need. I've narrowed my down decision to two camp trailers:

Tetonx Hybrid
- It has everything I need and nothing I don't
- It can go everywhere the bronco can
- Will fit in the garage.
- Plenty of room for kayaks and other toys on top.

Intech Flyer Explore
- Can also act as a trailer for towing sh*t
- I like sleeping in a tent, so the tip-out bunk is a huge plus for me.
- Much much more room
- Can go ALMOST anywhere I could go with the bronco.
- Easier to clean, especially with two dogs!
BuzzyBud