One month, almost 4000 miles, one big long road trip, and the first set of mods....

LagoCJ
Aug 20, 2021

Rank VI

Aug 20, 2021

Hey folks...

Start this by saying that I know that I am super lucky to have my Bronco and be putting miles on it. Some folks 'don't want to hear it', but I know when I was waiting, I wanted to hear all the experiences, good and bad, to help let me know what to expect and make the waiting a little easier. It is in that spirit that I share my first month's experience.

I have posted the order journey elsewhere, but quick review: 7/13 - 8:42PM res, 2/8 order, 6/15 window sticker, 6/21 (final) build date, 6/23 actual BLEND, 6/27 Built, 7/13 ship, 7/19 at the dealership.

Since the day of delivery, I babied my Bronco for the first week and then it spent 4 days at the dealership getting PPF, tint, and ceramic coating. The first two weeks, I only put about 250 miles on it, around town. Didn't get into the tach at all (< 3000) and didn't do the freeway to keep the revs and gears all over the map for break in. Seemed sluggish, dull and quite disappointing performance. The overall build quality was great, the MIC had some minor issues of alignment and edge quality, but nothing like what some had reported. There was also a slight color mismatch between the panels, suggesting they weren't all from the same batch. At the end of the second week, freshly out of PPF, I left the Bronco at the airport parking garage for a biz trip. On return, put another 200 miles on it, took the first row panels off a couple of times (much lighter than I remember the Jeep tops being) and tooled around Austin without dipping my toe in it at all. Still slow, boring driving experience. But, the ride continued to put a smile on my face as it feels like a truck, but a very good truck, with great on road manners and steering feel.

Then, unfortunately, had to go to Utah for a funeral and while I had planned to head up to Moab and to pick up a utility trailer while I was up there, I didn't plan to do the trip until later in the year when I could do Off Roadeo in Moab. Set out for Utah (1300+ miles of combo two lane and freeway - each way) from Austin area, with 700 miles on the odo. Still taking things easy, but more freeway driving and higher speeds (got to love 75 MPH limits in TX). Around 850 miles, things started to change. Maybe it was my mood, maybe it was built-in programming for the engine/transmission taking over as it sensed break-in was getting close to that magic 1000 mile mark, or maybe I just decided that it was time to see what the Bronco could really do...but, after rolling into a sleepy little NM town to get fuel, at about 1050 on the odo, I found myself needing to pass a semi, RFN. I pushed the pedal to the floor and with ZERO hesitation, I went from 10th to probably 5th, the revs went to 5000 and a sound came from under the Bronco that basically sounded like I had been letting a Yeti sleep on my floor and then accidentally stepped on him in a very sensitive place. Growl, snarl, grumble....and GO. In no time, I was looking at 96 MPH on the speedo and I was sailing past a semi with plenty of room to spare. Steering tight, suspension smooth and controlled, engine saying 'need more?' and a HUGE smile on my face.

Once the break in period was over, and I was willing to push the magic button, the whole character of the driving experience changed and I am thrilled at what the 2.7 is able to do. Smooth power delivery, just enough grumble to know that there is a hairy beast down in there someplace, and it tows like a trailer isn't even hooked up. All I will say to the doubters, this is a TURBO ENGINE and you drive it differently. It has very little lag, and the engine/transmission pairing seems very well programmed. But, its a turbo, and if you catch it just wrong, from a stop, you will feel some light lag...and it is light. Then the tach hits about 1300, the turbos are singing and the yeti starts to snarl.

So, check off the 'does this thing have enough power?' question. No worries in that department. Does it have the stones of my 6.2L GMC Denalli? Of course not. But, does it have what is needed to get up and go, handle traffic, torque its way out of a tight spot, and spin all four tires if there is even a hint of moisture on the ground? Yup?? Check, check and check...

There are creaks and snaps from the roof, as other people have noted. Waiting to hear what the top seal material is so I can choose a lube to ease that up. Not particularly worried there. The top seals well and have only had one tiny drip from right at the front edge of the driver's window, after a HUGE downpour. No leaks from car washing and no leaks from the roof seals, themselves. The top is showing signs of light delamination along the edges of the rear cap, but as others have suggested...I would much rather someone waiting for their Bronco get theirs before Ford sends a replacement top out for me. I can wait.

I have added the Stubby antenna (F150 model - thread elsewhere) with no loss of signal, even in the middle of no place (and I have been there, recently). I added the Redline hood struts and I am waiting on my Baja Designs fog light modules to add this weekend.

Now for the yuck...
As I said above, one of the reasons for my trip to Utah, besides laying to rest my 103 yr old grandmother (RIP Grandma Roma), was to pick up my utility trailer that was stored at my dad's house. I was able to get the trailer hitch and wiring kit from Levittown parts, just before I had to leave and planned to install everything when I got up there. The hitch itself...SIMPLE...45 minutes, half of which was spent laughing and remembering with my dad. That is why it is such a head scratcher that the wiring for the hitch is A NIGHTMARE...no install instructions, requires cutting/splicing into wires on BOTH SIDES of the rear end, plus running a wire to the battery and the installation of a power conversion box. Come on Ford...you make the hitch a ten bolt drop in....and I have to take the entire back end of my Bronco apart, plus SPLICE WIRES to get the wiring done???? FAIL - didn't even do it.

Additional yuck...
The quality of the cargo erea lining is subpar plastic. I lined the area with towels and cargo blankets to keep my soft luggage from scuffing anything back there. Didn't matter...the TOWELS and BLANKETS were enough to damage the plastic and turn it from dark gray/black to hazy white and scuffed. FAIL - next stop is a roll of automotive grade carpet and a big can of 3M 90. Should have been carpeted from the factory...it was $62000

More as it plays out and I get a few more of the accessories that are currently back ordered.

Overall...LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it and will hope for all of you to get yours soon so you can find out how amazing it is....
BN 0232 Bronco "Skwach" - 4 Dr FE, Lightning Blue, MIC/NP
New acquisition - Ranger Lariat Tremor, Rapid Red "Quake" (Skwach's little brother)
Other fun stuff: Honda Pioneer 1000 dirt toy (Need hitch!)
Crawler Green, TJNoffy
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2021

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Aug 20, 2021

Congrats!

Gotta include pics btw, gotta see the beaut
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Jakob1972

Rank VI

Aug 20, 2021

Love your post! Just back from an Off-Roadeo, so on cloud nine! This Bronco is amazing on road and off. Wait until owners fully discover what Ford has created. They will go “Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs” kind of joy!
MetalMom3427, cindylou

No Ragerts

Aug 21, 2021

Sorry for your loss and thanks for a great write up on a terrific vehicle. Use it in good healthy & as we say when off-roading, “keep the rubber side down”!
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Bike007b, TXBronco

Wank ER

Aug 21, 2021

Awesome - love to see some pics of all of the AM goodies.
2021 FE Cactus Grey
iambluto

Rank VI

Aug 21, 2021

Lights and hitch

Attachments

New acquisition - Ranger Lariat Tremor, Rapid Red "Quake" (Skwach's little brother)
D190065, JR007

Rank VI

Aug 21, 2021

Stubby and hood struts

Attachments

iambluto, D190065

Wank ER

Aug 21, 2021

Looks great! I am definitely doing the hood suspension.
2021 FE Cactus Grey
Jakob1972

Home, home on the range

Aug 21, 2021

Looking good! Makes me cringe a bit at the money I'm gonna be spending once I get mine. It'll be fun though!
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
tracythemighty, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Aug 22, 2021

Hey folks...

Start this by saying that I know that I am super lucky to have my Bronco and be putting miles on it. Some folks 'don't want to hear it', but I know when I was waiting, I wanted to hear all the experiences, good and bad, to help let me know what to expect and make the waiting a little easier. It is in that spirit that I share my first month's experience.

I have posted the order journey elsewhere, but quick review: 7/13 - 8:42PM res, 2/8 order, 6/15 window sticker, 6/21 (final) build date, 6/23 actual BLEND, 6/27 Built, 7/13 ship, 7/19 at the dealership.

Since the day of delivery, I babied my Bronco for the first week and then it spent 4 days at the dealership getting PPF, tint, and ceramic coating. The first two weeks, I only put about 250 miles on it, around town. Didn't get into the tach at all (< 3000) and didn't do the freeway to keep the revs and gears all over the map for break in. Seemed sluggish, dull and quite disappointing performance. The overall build quality was great, the MIC had some minor issues of alignment and edge quality, but nothing like what some had reported. There was also a slight color mismatch between the panels, suggesting they weren't all from the same batch. At the end of the second week, freshly out of PPF, I left the Bronco at the airport parking garage for a biz trip. On return, put another 200 miles on it, took the first row panels off a couple of times (much lighter than I remember the Jeep tops being) and tooled around Austin without dipping my toe in it at all. Still slow, boring driving experience. But, the ride continued to put a smile on my face as it feels like a truck, but a very good truck, with great on road manners and steering feel.

Then, unfortunately, had to go to Utah for a funeral and while I had planned to head up to Moab and to pick up a utility trailer while I was up there, I didn't plan to do the trip until later in the year when I could do Off Roadeo in Moab. Set out for Utah (1300+ miles of combo two lane and freeway - each way) from Austin area, with 700 miles on the odo. Still taking things easy, but more freeway driving and higher speeds (got to love 75 MPH limits in TX). Around 850 miles, things started to change. Maybe it was my mood, maybe it was built-in programming for the engine/transmission taking over as it sensed break-in was getting close to that magic 1000 mile mark, or maybe I just decided that it was time to see what the Bronco could really do...but, after rolling into a sleepy little NM town to get fuel, at about 1050 on the odo, I found myself needing to pass a semi, RFN. I pushed the pedal to the floor and with ZERO hesitation, I went from 10th to probably 5th, the revs went to 5000 and a sound came from under the Bronco that basically sounded like I had been letting a Yeti sleep on my floor and then accidentally stepped on him in a very sensitive place. Growl, snarl, grumble....and GO. In no time, I was looking at 96 MPH on the speedo and I was sailing past a semi with plenty of room to spare. Steering tight, suspension smooth and controlled, engine saying 'need more?' and a HUGE smile on my face.

Once the break in period was over, and I was willing to push the magic button, the whole character of the driving experience changed and I am thrilled at what the 2.7 is able to do. Smooth power delivery, just enough grumble to know that there is a hairy beast down in there someplace, and it tows like a trailer isn't even hooked up. All I will say to the doubters, this is a TURBO ENGINE and you drive it differently. It has very little lag, and the engine/transmission pairing seems very well programmed. But, its a turbo, and if you catch it just wrong, from a stop, you will feel some light lag...and it is light. Then the tach hits about 1300, the turbos are singing and the yeti starts to snarl.

So, check off the 'does this thing have enough power?' question. No worries in that department. Does it have the stones of my 6.2L GMC Denalli? Of course not. But, does it have what is needed to get up and go, handle traffic, torque its way out of a tight spot, and spin all four tires if there is even a hint of moisture on the ground? Yup?? Check, check and check...

There are creaks and snaps from the roof, as other people have noted. Waiting to hear what the top seal material is so I can choose a lube to ease that up. Not particularly worried there. The top seals well and have only had one tiny drip from right at the front edge of the driver's window, after a HUGE downpour. No leaks from car washing and no leaks from the roof seals, themselves. The top is showing signs of light delamination along the edges of the rear cap, but as others have suggested...I would much rather someone waiting for their Bronco get theirs before Ford sends a replacement top out for me. I can wait.

I have added the Stubby antenna (F150 model - thread elsewhere) with no loss of signal, even in the middle of no place (and I have been there, recently). I added the Redline hood struts and I am waiting on my Baja Designs fog light modules to add this weekend.

Now for the yuck...
As I said above, one of the reasons for my trip to Utah, besides laying to rest my 103 yr old grandmother (RIP Grandma Roma), was to pick up my utility trailer that was stored at my dad's house. I was able to get the trailer hitch and wiring kit from Levittown parts, just before I had to leave and planned to install everything when I got up there. The hitch itself...SIMPLE...45 minutes, half of which was spent laughing and remembering with my dad. That is why it is such a head scratcher that the wiring for the hitch is A NIGHTMARE...no install instructions, requires cutting/splicing into wires on BOTH SIDES of the rear end, plus running a wire to the battery and the installation of a power conversion box. Come on Ford...you make the hitch a ten bolt drop in....and I have to take the entire back end of my Bronco apart, plus SPLICE WIRES to get the wiring done???? FAIL - didn't even do it.

Additional yuck...
The quality of the cargo erea lining is subpar plastic. I lined the area with towels and cargo blankets to keep my soft luggage from scuffing anything back there. Didn't matter...the TOWELS and BLANKETS were enough to damage the plastic and turn it from dark gray/black to hazy white and scuffed. FAIL - next stop is a roll of automotive grade carpet and a big can of 3M 90. Should have been carpeted from the factory...it was $62000

More as it plays out and I get a few more of the accessories that are currently back ordered.

Overall...LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it and will hope for all of you to get yours soon so you can find out how amazing it is....

Smoke and Prayers for your family and thank you for your review.

Michael
Bronco Nation 278
IndianaBroncos on Facebook​

Rank VI

Aug 23, 2021

Where did you get the fog lights? Did you install them yourself?
Michael Grasso

Rank VI

Aug 23, 2021

Where did you get the fog lights? Did you install them yourself?

They are the Baja Designs Modular bumper kit. I was wondering myself if they use three separate switches or just one…

https://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/Ford-Bronco-Fog-Pocket-Kits.asp
Bronco Nation 278
IndianaBroncos on Facebook​

Rank VI

Aug 23, 2021

They are the Baja Designs Modular bumper kit. I was wondering myself if they use three separate switches or just one…

https://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/Ford-Bronco-Fog-Pocket-Kits.asp
Thanks
TK1215

Rank VI

Aug 23, 2021

Hey folks...

Now for the yuck...

Additional yuck...

Sweet ride Lago and a great write up! Thank you for giving us your experience and I can't wait to hear about more and more people adding their experiences on here.
Wildtrak, 4DR, Iconic Silver, High, Camo Seats.
EAJ, TK1215

Rank VI

Aug 23, 2021

Regarding the Baja Designs lights. I have the SAE white fog version, for the upfitter (they also have a set with the switches included).

From the factory, they come with two sets of wires and designed to be on two switches. I ended up ordering another wire set so I can have all three pairs switched independently. So, I have the fogs, a combo set of wide/spots that are angled to the ditches, and a set of full long distance spots. I am going to make a posting with my wiring/install experience as I did it a bit differently than the Baja instructions.
Deano Bronc, DeepCreek

Rank V

Aug 23, 2021

Lights and hitch
I am here for these Baja Design fog lights!! They look fantastic in the Mod bumper.
grtharris

Rank VI

Aug 23, 2021

Preference question for the OP, "Why did you choose the clear versus the amber?" what are the pros and cons as you see it? Thanks
grtharris

Rank VI

Aug 23, 2021

Preference question for the OP, "Why did you choose the clear versus the amber?" what are the pros and cons as you see it? Thanks
Hey Last Ride, the white fog decision is purely a personal preference. I have had amber fogs in the past and much like sodium vapor streetlights, the color causes all visible colors to be muted, or reduced to yellow/black. I prefer the white light and better color reproduction of white fogs, while I do accept that this does reduce the increased contrast that comes with the amber colored light.
Last Ride Bronco

Rank V

Aug 24, 2021

Great write up on the break in process and excellent selection of accessories! I have the same items on hand, or in the case of the BDL fogs, arriving later this week. The difficulty of the trailer wiring harness installation is a bit disappointing, I may need to out-source that job. I can't wait to see your wiring instructions for the lights. I may copy you and order a third wiring harness to run them on three aux switches as well...hope you don't mind;). Now I just need my rig to begin putting this stuff on!
FE: 4 Dr, A51, NP
BRaptor: HPR; Original GT Res - 7/14/20
EAJ

Rank VI

Aug 24, 2021

Sorry to hear about your grandma...but she lived a very long life, and that is great.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I reserved at 5AM on July 14th (about 8 hours after the reservations opened) and now I am being pushed out to MY22 because I am stubborn and want a 2D withe everything out of production reach for MY21.
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches