My impression: Nashville Early Bronco at the Texas Off-Rodeo

Nashville Early Bronco
Aug 29, 2021

Rank V

Aug 29, 2021

A lot of you guys know me, but if you don't, my name is Jon Melton. I run the YouTube channel Nashville Early Bronco where I work on my 1975 Early Bronco and help Bronco Nation with the How-To videos. I've been lucky enough to get my hands on the Bronco since the beginning of the year making videos about taking the doors, top, and fenders off, and a lot more. I also got to review the Bronco and drive around Nashville in it, taking it through some back country roads and creeks. But even with all that exposure to the Bronco, I did not expect to be so blown away by it at the Bronco Off-Rodeo.

Watch the video

-
Everything about the experience was spectacular. From the Horseshoe Bay Resort, to pulling up to the Off Rodeo gates and seeing the Broncos sitting there, to the trail guides. I won't explain all the details of Off-Rodeo, but I want to focus on a couple highlights for me. First, the trail guides. Mike Clouds was one of our trail guides, and Mike is an Early Bronco guy. If you've been to Super Celebration, chances are you've run into Mike or his wife Amy. But having Mike and his wife on the trail with us was incredible. His passion for the Bronco comes out in everything he explains and teaches throughout the day. His enthusiasm for the Bronco history and heritage makes you want to know more and hear more from him. Obviously, I am a fan of the early Bronco, but even the Jeep people who were there were commenting on how cool it was to hear about some of the History of the Early Bronco from Mike. And I think a large part of that isn't from Mike's knowledge of the EB, but for his passion of the Bronco.

My Second highlight was how capable the Bronco was, but I think there are two parts to this. One is yes the Bronco is super capable, but the second part is how perfect the trail is FOR the Bronco. Each obstacle we would come up to the guides would tell u what "settings" to put the Bronco into. Disconnect the sway bar, front locking diff, rear locking diff... But the one that floored me was the trail control. They take you onto this steep decline, tell you to put the Bronco into trail control at 1mph and just roll down the hill.

I LEFT A HERSHEY KISS IN MY PANTS!!!

This was insane! Had I not been in trail control, I would have lost control, locking up the tires and rolling down the mountain. But, the trail control controls each tire individually, and when my back passenger tire was in the air, the trail control slowed the Bronco down and kept it from loosing control. It was amazing.

The Bronco really is capable, and it is a pleasure to drive. If you get the chance, I highly recommend the Texas Off-Roadeo and ask for Mike Clouds as your guide.
Krmparkguy, Phoenix
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2021

No Ragerts

Aug 29, 2021

@Nashville Early Bronco - great write up, thanks. I am scheduled to attend in New Hampshire in less than 2 weeks and I am stoked!

BTW - you win best post “I LEFT A HERSHEY KISS IN MY PANTS!!!”
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Krmparkguy, Bronc96

Rank V

Aug 31, 2021

@Nashville Early Bronco - great write up, thanks. I am scheduled to attend in New Hampshire in less than 2 weeks and I am stoked!

BTW - you win best post “I LEFT A HERSHEY KISS IN MY PANTS!!!”

Haha! Thanks

Rank VI

Aug 31, 2021

Great review, Jon!
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram

Rank VI

Aug 31, 2021

A lot of you guys know me, but if you don't, my name is Jon Melton. I run the YouTube channel Nashville Early Bronco where I work on my 1975 Early Bronco and help Bronco Nation with the How-To videos. I've been lucky enough to get my hands on the Bronco since the beginning of the year making videos about taking the doors, top, and fenders off, and a lot more. I also got to review the Bronco and drive around Nashville in it, taking it through some back country roads and creeks. But even with all that exposure to the Bronco, I did not expect to be so blown away by it at the Bronco Off-Rodeo.

Watch the video

-
Everything about the experience was spectacular. From the Horseshoe Bay Resort, to pulling up to the Off Rodeo gates and seeing the Broncos sitting there, to the trail guides. I won't explain all the details of Off-Rodeo, but I want to focus on a couple highlights for me. First, the trail guides. Mike Clouds was one of our trail guides, and Mike is an Early Bronco guy. If you've been to Super Celebration, chances are you've run into Mike or his wife Amy. But having Mike and his wife on the trail with us was incredible. His passion for the Bronco comes out in everything he explains and teaches throughout the day. His enthusiasm for the Bronco history and heritage makes you want to know more and hear more from him. Obviously, I am a fan of the early Bronco, but even the Jeep people who were there were commenting on how cool it was to hear about some of the History of the Early Bronco from Mike. And I think a large part of that isn't from Mike's knowledge of the EB, but for his passion of the Bronco.

My Second highlight was how capable the Bronco was, but I think there are two parts to this. One is yes the Bronco is super capable, but the second part is how perfect the trail is FOR the Bronco. Each obstacle we would come up to the guides would tell u what "settings" to put the Bronco into. Disconnect the sway bar, front locking diff, rear locking diff... But the one that floored me was the trail control. They take you onto this steep decline, tell you to put the Bronco into trail control at 1mph and just roll down the hill.

I LEFT A HERSHEY KISS IN MY PANTS!!!

This was insane! Had I not been in trail control, I would have lost control, locking up the tires and rolling down the mountain. But, the trail control controls each tire individually, and when my back passenger tire was in the air, the trail control slowed the Bronco down and kept it from loosing control. It was amazing.

The Bronco really is capable, and it is a pleasure to drive. If you get the chance, I highly recommend the Texas Off-Roadeo and ask for Mike Clouds as your guide.
Going to the one in Nevada in 3 weeks or so. So excited I can’t wait!
Nashville Early Bronco

Rank VI

Aug 31, 2021

Hey Jon, I know you won't remember me, but I met you at the Bronco Cel East back in the Spring. I also went to the Off Roadeo in TX. You are absolutely right about the experience. It was one of the most enjoyable/fun things I have done in a long time. Anyway I just wanted to give you a shout out because you were very kind to me and my wife in TN. Glad you had a great time!
Deano Bronc, Nashville Early Bronco

Rank V

Sep 01, 2021

Going to the one in Nevada in 3 weeks or so. So excited I can’t wait!

Nice!!!

Rank V

Sep 01, 2021

Hey Jon, I know you won't remember me, but I met you at the Bronco Cel East back in the Spring. I also went to the Off Roadeo in TX. You are absolutely right about the experience. It was one of the most enjoyable/fun things I have done in a long time. Anyway I just wanted to give you a shout out because you were very kind to me and my wife in TN. Glad you had a great time!

Awesome! Thanks for reaching out! Hopefully I’ll see you in April again! Haha!