Motortrend Noticing 2.7 Issues

VictoryLights
Feb 09, 2022

Rank II

Feb 09, 2022

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-2-7-liter-engine-valve-troubles/
Hopefully this is noticed by Ford. Per the article, if you do have an issue with your engine please file a NHTSA complaint. Unfortunately, that may be our best path to having Ford address this.

Since the article was written, there are now 8 complaints filed with NHTSA. For reference, NHTSA is investigating 600k dodge trucks after just 22 complaints:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37992530/nhtsa-investigating-ram-diesel-engines-stalling/
Hopefully, none of us have this issue, but if you do please file. The ones that have filed are scary because the engine is losing power at highway speeds for some.
the poacher, Lucchese
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 09, 2022

Rank III

Feb 09, 2022

Wow, this is not good news. Thank you for sharing
2Dr, Badlands, High, 2.7L, deleted bumper upgrade & tow pkg, Cactus Gray
Razorbullet

Rank VI

Feb 09, 2022

It's great news in fact. Sometimes a handful of owners complain and nothing gets done. Sometimes a handful of owners let NHTSA or it gets picked up by a magazine and it (finally) gets addressed. I'm glad Motor Trend brought it to light (more than it already is on Ford forums).
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Razorbullet, Lucchese

Rank V

Feb 09, 2022

glad i changed to a 2.3IL for my 2door, don't need anything bigger /more power .
Licknstick, ABQNMBronco

Rank II

Feb 09, 2022

Here is a link to the NHTSA complaints filed by bronco owners so far:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/FORD/BRONCO/4%2520DR/4WD#complaints

Rank VI

Feb 09, 2022

It's great news in fact. Sometimes a handful of owners complain and nothing gets done. Sometimes a handful of owners let NHTSA or it gets picked up by a magazine and it (finally) gets addressed. I'm glad Motor Trend brought it to light (more than it already is on Ford forums).
now if they ( Motor trend magazine or any other large publication )would just have a big write up about all the unscrupulous thieving lying scum sucking dealerships that are ripping people off , now that would make me happy.
JoergH, IceSoldier88

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Feb 09, 2022

glad i changed to a 2.3IL for my 2door, don't need anything bigger /more power .

Ditto, though if it were available, would be 2.7/7spd
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Sdakotabronco, Shoresy

Rank VI

Feb 09, 2022

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-2-7-liter-engine-valve-troubles/
Hopefully this is noticed by Ford. Per the article, if you do have an issue with your engine please file a NHTSA complaint. Unfortunately, that may be our best path to having Ford address this.

Since the article was written, there are now 8 complaints filed with NHTSA. For reference, NHTSA is investigating 600k dodge trucks after just 22 complaints:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37992530/nhtsa-investigating-ram-diesel-engines-stalling/
Hopefully, none of us have this issue, but if you do please file. The ones that have filed are scary because the engine is losing power at highway speeds for some.

I wouldn't read too much into MotorTrend picking it up. All they did was cruise the forum at B6G and said hey, let's write something up.

Yes I agree there have been issues, but it still seems like a relatively small number.
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
Ditchrunner, Bt_ostate

Rank VI

Feb 09, 2022

now if they ( Motor trend magazine or any other large publication )would just have a big write up about all the unscrupulous thieving lying scum sucking dealerships that are ripping people off , now that would make me happy.

I don't know about MotorTrend, but I've seen that covered multiple times online (Youtube), but it hasn't seemed to make a difference.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Feb 09, 2022

Rumor Trend isnt much of mag any more. They jumped the shark a long time ago.
Joined May 29, 2020 Member 546
Bt_ostate

Life is a Highway

Feb 09, 2022

My first reaction is that someone is late to the party. They are just getting wind of this? How long have people on BN, B6G and other media outlets been talking about this? MT must have just learned about the internet
Slownstddy, Cornwelltoolman

Rank II

Feb 13, 2022

My first reaction is that someone is late to the party. They are just getting wind of this? How long have people on BN, B6G and other media outlets been talking about this? MT must have just learned about the internet

I wouldn't read too much into MotorTrend picking it up. All they did was cruise the forum at B6G and said hey, let's write something up.

Yes I agree there have been issues, but it still seems like a relatively small number.

To my knowledge, MotorTrend is the only formal publication to pick it up. Other than that it has only been message boards.

We don’t know if the numbers are relatively small or not. Only Ford does. B6G is up to 35 failures on that forum alone. There aren’t many 2.7Ls with significant mileage delivered to that forum, so that number seems high to me but as I sad we don’t know.
Bronco 202?

Rank IV

Feb 13, 2022

Um, do we for some reason think Ford isn't already aware of this? Not like this is news. Looks more like MT being months and months behind what everyone already knows.
Bad Lands, Sasquatch, MIC, Lux, Velocity blue

Rank II

Feb 13, 2022

Um, do we for some reason think Ford isn't already aware of this? Not like this is news. Looks more like MT being months and months behind what everyone already knows.

They haven’t done or said anything about this. MotorTrend is the only publication to pick it up. Seems like more NHTSA complaints coming in every day.
Bronco 202?, AcesandEights

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Feb 13, 2022

To my knowledge, MotorTrend is the only formal publication to pick it up. Other than that it has only been message boards.

We don’t know if the numbers are relatively small or not. Only Ford does. B6G is up to 35 failures on that forum alone. There aren’t many 2.7Ls with significant mileage delivered to that forum, so that number seems high to me but as I sad we don’t know.
There are more people NOT on forums than on them.So the numbers are higher.
Joined May 29, 2020 Member 546
jd-ford-hd, AcesandEights

Rank IV

Feb 13, 2022

They haven’t done or said anything about this. MotorTrend is the only publication to pick it up. Seems like more NHTSA complaints coming in every day.
Do you work in their engineering department, production or vendor management? If not I’m curious how you know they haven’t done anything?
JJACK502

Rank II

Feb 13, 2022

Do you work in their engineering department, production or vendor management? If not I’m curious how you know they haven’t done anything?

Sheesh! What I meant was they haven’t done anything for the people that own 2.7s that are at risk. i.e. a recall.
jd-ford-hd, AcesandEights

Rank IV

Feb 13, 2022

Here is a link to the NHTSA complaints filed by bronco owners so far:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/FORD/BRONCO/4%2520DR/4WD#complaints
Looks like 9 engines in a very small band. Less than 3 weeks. Speaks more to a bad batch then a general problem. It’s not like this is a new power plant. If it was a broader design flaw it would be far more ubiquitous.
SuperMike, Bt_ostate

GASQUATCH

Feb 13, 2022

The 2.7l has been around for several years. I have it in our 21 Edge ST as well and it is awesome....

Are they seeing something bronco related?
2022 Badlands / Sasquatch / 2.7 / Auto / 2DR / MIC / Bestop Trektop / LUX / 12000# Badland winch / in Hot Pepper Red
AcesandEights

Rank VI

Feb 13, 2022

Ok .
Ok what do you know. The only thing WE know is Ford is having some BIG problems with what little amounts of Broncos they have built so far. The engine is only one of them.