More Moab Please!

JasonAM
Mar 05, 2022

Rank II

Mar 05, 2022

We went to the Moab Off-Roadeo yesterday and I wanted to spread my excitement. Only been off-roading a couple of times before and my truck will still primarily be a DD, but Off-Roadeo got me even more pumped! Thought I'd give a rundown and feedback in case anyone is interested.
Stayed in town, but only a 20 minute drive. Basecamp facility is cool with lots of nostalgia from Ford/Bronco past. Staff is EXCEPTIONAL! Wish we could be treated so well at other travel/event venues. Check-in was painless and lots of great people from all corners of the US and all walks of life were there. Several even had trucks which had been delivered. In fact, there were two Broncs in the parking lot from people who had commuted in. Get some swag first thing then some overview discussion of the trucks.
We broke up into three groups--one with 6 Broncs, one with 5, and us with 4. With a break for lunch, basically drove (and watched others drive) for 8 or so hours! We were lucky, @The Bronze (Kelly) was the best! He rode with us, put up with my lame driving, and taught me more than I could imagine about Broncs. Seriously, I think he was a huge part of what made the experience so great for our group. Trail maxed out at a "4" rating I think, but for a newbie it was amazing to see what the truck can do. Great technology and capability which can make even me look ok and be successful. We have a Bad, non-Squatch coming so it was great to see vehicles configured like that do essentially the same as the Bad Squatches (which we drove). Maybe a few more underbody scrapes but nothing lost in capability. Used the sway-dis ALL day. Helps with comfort and capability on rocks and trail. Also nice to see most of the colors in the wild. Wish there was an EG--but most others were represented. We drove for a few miles on road at speed as well as most of the day on trail/obstacle. I was really surprised at how well the BadSquatch handles on-road. Soft-top was quieter than expected, tires weren't super loud, and it honestly handles similar to an F-150 or the Expedition we have. I honestly like driving it on-road as much as my EXPE. This was reassuring to me as I will be using mine as a DD/weekend warrior. Also really happy about sticking with the MGV and washout floors on my build. Top never went down as it was a little cold, but even with that the entire floor was covered in red sand/dirt by the end of the day. Carpet would be trashed really quickly with any more than on-road use.
Had a short picnic lunch near large caves and they also provide a nice dinner post-experience. We made connections which will carry into the future and discovered some new angles on the Bronc's utility. Again, the staff was incredible. They were all great people who were happy to see us. They wanted us to succeed, and we all did--whatever our goals/reasons for attending were. Seriously, with Kelly spotting and directing me I was able to do things which would have made me soil myself in the past. I know, this was not an extreme trail or set of obstacles. But for a newbie like me it was pretty wild. I still chickened out occasionally mid-obstacle (e.g., hit brakes etc.), but after gaining confidence in the vehicle and depending on its performance for the day I am hooked.

Why YOU need to go ASAP:

1) After driving a Bronco for the day outside of a dealers parking lot, I feel really comfortable with the technology, capability, and handling of the truck. I understand the features and have a basic understanding of when to apply them. It makes me want mine 100x more than before after relying on only a test drive. I have confidence that I can go over some tough obstacles without breaking or defacing my expensive truck! Don't think I would've had the guts to take it on more simple trails without this experience. Don't get me wrong--still too cowardly to do serious rock crawling but I am confident enough to take my kids out and shake em' up a bit!

2) You'll get more certainty about your build. I'm more confident in my choices of model/color/and features. Now I want it even more!

3) Met lots of great like-minded people. Can't overstate how nice it is to socialize with great people post-Covid.

4) Super-therapeutic to be outside away from screens for an extended period. Nothing but beautiful landscape and a few cows where we went so it's easy to feel lost--in a good way.

Yes, it costs some money, but it will really enhance your Bronc attachment and ownership in a relatively inexpensive way on a $40/$60 k truck. Plus, they refund a couple hundred after you take delivery of your Bronco. Even with the extra insurance (mixed feelings on that one) it only netted to about $100 for the driver. The guest fee is reasonable as well. In fact, WHEN (better not be if) they open it to everyone or to repeat visits, I will totally take my kids down with and go again. I'd include pics and video but there are already many posted. Plus, the pics don't do justice to how it FEELS when you are in the truck looking down over a ledge (or driving straight up) or when you seem to be losing your seat and falling out sideways because the truck is on a high roll angle.

Just go.

Forgot to add--if the Off-Roadeo website doesn't show you as eligible to attend (it takes a few weeks post-order I think), you can expedite the process as long as you have placed an order. I called them and gave them my order number and (I think) dealer code (ask your dealer obviously) and they can get you set up quickly. You don't need to wait for the system to catch up. After all, you all know how order/build tracking is going these days! I'm sure the program will be booking up quickly as it warms so you may not be able to get the day you want if you wait IMHO.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, White, 2.7, Squatch, MIC
jzweedyk, TorgSurv
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 05, 2022

Rank VI

Mar 07, 2022

“Just go” says it all!
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top
TorgSurv