Changing the color of the MIC hardtop

4by4
Aug 27, 2022

Texas Trouble

Aug 27, 2022

I’m not really happy with the color of the hardtop on my bronco. It’s nice but I would prefer to have it color matched to the truck. I heard that’s an option for 2023 but I just got my 2022. Does anyone out there know if you can get away with painting the top of the bronco without worrying about fading chipping or peeling off. I have a white bronco and want to paint the roof white. Has anybody done this yet.  i’d like to put clearcoat on the whole truck but I don’t know if that’s a possibility since I’ve already had it a month already I would prefer a deeper shine. Just looking for answers if anyone has done this. I also do not like the plastic bumpers everything else is fine I have purchased two full steel metal bumpers and will have them powder coated white. 
Chaun “ Bronco Crazy” Bodin
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2022

Rank 0

Aug 27, 2022

I’m not really happy with the color of the hardtop on my bronco. It’s nice but I would prefer to have it color matched to the truck. I heard that’s an option for 2023 but I just got my 2022. Does anyone out there know if you can get away with painting the top of the bronco without worrying about fading chipping or peeling off. I have a white bronco and want to paint the roof white. Has anybody done this yet.  i’d like to put clearcoat on the whole truck but I don’t know if that’s a possibility since I’ve already had it a month already I would prefer a deeper shine. Just looking for answers if anyone has done this. I also do not like the plastic bumpers everything else is fine I have purchased two full steel metal bumpers and will have them powder coated white. 
I would think you could paint the top …$$$$
I’ll check with my body shop .
4by4

John

Aug 27, 2022

There is no reliable source for body colored hard tops in MY23. The order guide hasn't came out yet.

Aug 27, 2022

Probably be cheaper and more durable to wrap it
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s
ChickasawNDN

Rank V

Aug 27, 2022

I would look into truck bedliner - colour matched to what you want.

Wraps would eventually peel and cost more $.

Aug 27, 2022

I will caution you tho, buddy of mine did truck liner on his wranglers plastic fenders and started chipping pretty quickly. Not sure if that’s common but ended up looking like crap. Maybe not meant for plastic.
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s

Rank V

Aug 27, 2022

I will caution you tho, buddy of mine did truck liner on his wranglers plastic fenders and started chipping pretty quickly. Not sure if that’s common but ended up looking like crap. Maybe not meant for plastic.
Thanks for that. Perhaps it’s not flexible enough.
Maybe a rubber rocker guard would work. Just spitballing here.

Edit - I just thought that maybe Plastidip would work. Not permanent but it would be difficult to remove.
thgdfathr

Texas Trouble

Aug 30, 2022

Probably be cheaper and more durable to wrap it

I went to a local rap shop and they told me that it would not stick to the roof because of the material it was made of. I never did check myself but that’s what I was told when I went in. 
thgdfathr

Texas Trouble

Aug 30, 2022

I found white bedliner spray online but I was very hesitant to even attempt to paint the top until I saw someone else who had done it first. You only get one chance. 

Texas Trouble

Aug 30, 2022

There is no reliable source for body colored hard tops in MY23. The order guide hasn't came out yet.

I did read that a white top was standard on the heritage addition coming out in 2023 as well as a white grill. I I only assumed that it would follow for the standard bronco as well. 

Texas Trouble

Aug 30, 2022

Texas Trouble

Aug 30, 2022

Thanks very much for the info that’s what I was afraid of. The top is plastic and it was a definite big concern it’s not like I’m painting metal with bedliner. It seems the best solution is to have it painted white if it matters that much to me. 

Rank V

Aug 31, 2022

It has been done successfully, but there is A LOT of prep work to get the surface paintable (=$$ if paying someone else). There have been threads on here about it, I think the first one to jump off the ledge and try was in velocity blue. I am curious how those painted MIC tops are looking after months of normal use now...
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow

Rank 0

Aug 31, 2022

I would think you could paint the top …$$$$
I’ll check with my body shop .

so yes you can paint , the only problem may be when taking seals off , they may be damaged , resulting for the need to buy new ones .

Texas Trouble

Sep 01, 2022

It has been done successfully, but there is A LOT of prep work to get the surface paintable (=$$ if paying someone else). There have been threads on here about it, I think the first one to jump off the ledge and try was in velocity blue. I am curious how those painted MIC tops are looking after months of normal use now...

I think you just answered my question. How would it look in a couple of months. Not to mention the prep work that would be required. I’ve decided to live with the top as is thanks for your help.  thanks everyone for the advice it was a lot of help in deciding about painting or bed lining my truck roof. I think the consensus is you should not mess with it. 
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Sep 01, 2022

I have a hard top Wildtrak. I would never consider painting the top. It gets handled too much during the removal and installation process. It would get scratched and chipped.

What's next?

Sep 02, 2022

Here's one I saw last weekend. So yes it's possible and very expensive.

Attachments

Black Diamond/4-door/mid pkg/2.7/MIC/rack/towing/Eruption Green/res 7.13.20/ord 2.8.21, then 10.15.21/built 1.21.22/delivered 4.15.22
Gunstock Off-Roadeo 10/29/22/Steel and Stirrups Traveling Lamp holder 9.23
Gaia GPS
Bronco Hueso, ZWSMITH

Rank III

Sep 17, 2022

Oh my goodness, the white hard top looks FANTASTIC!! I love it…

I only wish I had the hard top. Although today is 84 degrees in So. Cal and it’s the very first time I went topless. My soft top that is…