MIC Rattle-Can Paint Jobs

Bronco_Girl
Jun 19, 2021

Rank VI

Jun 19, 2021

Ok, fess up!

How many of you my21 MIC hardtop recipients will do this? My Home Depot has half an aisle of just rattle cans in every color under the sun!

Would love for people to post pics of their chosen color.

Magenta pink?
Lime green?
Military?
Gold with metallic flecks?
Barney purple?
Gastly, Speed Devil
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2021

Rank XII

Jun 19, 2021

Even though I want Military with Barney purple metallic flecks, this could be an unfair thread towards our BN friends that won't have their Rustoleum talents limited to just MIC hardtops.

1624076241287.png
Speed Devil, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jun 19, 2021

Even though I want Military with Barney purple metallic flecks, this could be an unfair thread towards our BN friends that won't have their Rustoleum talents limited to just MIC hardtops.

View attachment 14598
OMG! hahaha
Howdy

Rank II

Jun 19, 2021

Not rattle cans, but I have toyed with the idea of stopping by my local body shop to see if the thing can be painted white without a lot of drama.
"I think donuts define ones copliness" - Luther "Suitcase" Simpson
Bronco_Girl

Rank VI

Jun 22, 2021

Not rattle cans, but I have toyed with the idea of stopping by my local body shop to see if the thing can be painted white without a lot of drama.

I really would like the white top.
I don’t know if paint will stick to the mic. Rhino lining or something like that.
Wanted 33, Bronco_Girl

Libations MOD

Jun 22, 2021

Search on here, cuz I forgot the thread but it talked about repainting the MIC and it sounded like it will be a lot of prep time
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Wanted 33

Rank VI

Jun 22, 2021

Search on here, cuz I forgot the thread but it talked about repainting the MIC and it sounded like it will be a lot of prep time
Yes for the Rhino lining. That's why I was wondering if people can do it with a rattle can. I have no idea.

Rank V

Jun 22, 2021

Just like anything else that's rattle can, it's cheap and if it gets a scratch, what do you do? You take 30 seconds and spray back over the scratch!! Problem solved lol. Rock crawler guys rattle can all the time, that how we fix our scrapes, scratches and chips.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
Bronco_Girl

Defeated by Mickey’s Hot Tub

Jun 22, 2021

I went to a bronco viewing a few weeks ago and was talking with a guy who runs one of the body shops around here. He told me the MIC top can be painted, but it takes a lot of prep.
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
Cooknn

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Jun 22, 2021

I gotta do my research, wanna go white for contrast and figure out what will stick well
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Bronco_Girl

Gladesmen

Jun 22, 2021

Ok, fess up!

How many of you my21 MIC hardtop recipients will do this? My Home Depot has half an aisle of just rattle cans in every color under the sun!

Would love for people to post pics of their chosen color.

Magenta pink?
Lime green?
Military?
Gold with metallic flecks?
Barney purple?
If I could have one of the Rustoleum colors I would take Lagoon
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Bronco_Girl

Rank VI

Jun 22, 2021

I went to a bronco viewing a few weeks ago and was talking with a guy who runs one of the body shops around here. He told me the MIC top can be painted, but it takes a lot of prep.
Which is expensive.
SlashRacer

Rank VI

Jun 22, 2021

I gotta do my research, wanna go white for contrast and figure out what will stick well
There is a guy on YouTube who paints cars only using rattle cans. I was laughing when I started watching. When the video was done, I had stopped laughing. It actually looked pretty good!
Speed Devil

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Jun 22, 2021

There is a guy on YouTube who paints cars only using rattle cans. I was laughing when I started watching. When the video was done, I had stopped laughing. It actually looked pretty good!

Time to take a look, got the clip or know the name?
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Jakob1972

Rank VI

Jun 22, 2021

Time to take a look, got the clip or know the name?

Moore Motorsports James Dguy
Speed Devil

Gladesmen

Jun 22, 2021

Dang,
Fell down that rabbit hole. He does some good painting with a rattle can. I'm impressed.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Bronco_Girl

Rank V

Jun 22, 2021

Ok, let's step this up a notch. Any of y'all ever heard of Raptor Liner? It's a DIY spray on bedliner in a different league than parts store roll in kits. Last I got it, was $120ish for a kit, comes with 4 bottles of the liner, a can of resin, and a spray gun. I have always used black, but it also comes tintable so you can go to your local auto body supply and get it tinted any color you want, even white (a couple friends have gone that route, was fairly cheap). Basically, rough up the surface ($15 nylon bristle brush on angle grinder makes quick work), open a bottle of liner, fill it to the line with hardener, shake, screw on the spray gun, hook up an air compressor (a $50 HF model will do) and start spraying. This stuff is easier to spray than rattle cans, still super cheap, and the natural textured finish would probably blend well on the MIC top without crazy prep. Just beware, you will get overspray 30-50 feet away, and the spray gun goes in the trash, can't be cleaned (I tried, don't bother). Here it is on the bottom of my 75 Camaro2014-11-11 21.15.43.jpg2014-11-11 21.14.09.jpg
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Bronco_Girl, Buckin'

Rank VI

Jun 23, 2021

Ok, let's step this up a notch. Any of y'all ever heard of Raptor Liner? It's a DIY spray on bedliner in a different league than parts store roll in kits. Last I got it, was $120ish for a kit, comes with 4 bottles of the liner, a can of resin, and a spray gun. I have always used black, but it also comes tintable so you can go to your local auto body supply and get it tinted any color you want, even white (a couple friends have gone that route, was fairly cheap). Basically, rough up the surface ($15 nylon bristle brush on angle grinder makes quick work), open a bottle of liner, fill it to the line with hardener, shake, screw on the spray gun, hook up an air compressor (a $50 HF model will do) and start spraying. This stuff is easier to spray than rattle cans, still super cheap, and the natural textured finish would probably blend well on the MIC top without crazy prep. Just beware, you will get overspray 30-50 feet away, and the spray gun goes in the trash, can't be cleaned (I tried, don't bother). Here it is on the bottom of my 75 CamaroView attachment 14723View attachment 14724
If you do it on your Bronco, let us know how it worked.

Rank II

Jul 11, 2021

Sorry for the late reply brother. I figured it would be quite a bit of prep time making the cost go up, up, up. Sanding, smoothing, and adhesive promoter before you can even get to the primer and paint. I think a lot, and that hurts, so I'll probably just stick with the MIC. The standard hard top on my Jeep is very easy to care for, and I like that. :)
"I think donuts define ones copliness" - Luther "Suitcase" Simpson
ResidualGenius, Bronco_Girl