Manual Transmission

GMan412
Jun 04, 2022

Rank 0

Jun 04, 2022

Purchased a 2021 Bronco Black Diamond with a manual transmission. Took delivery in August 2021. Vehicle has 8,900 miles. Started having issues with 3rd gear in middle of May 2022. Dealer could not diagnose issue until July??
Last week vehicle locked up in 2nd gear. Took the vehicle to the dealer, they called yesterday to say that it needs a new transmission. Anyone else having any similar issues?
CarolinaCactusGreyBabe, Jboohound
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 04, 2022

Rank III

Jun 10, 2022

About 8k miles on my 2021 manual, no issues. Sorry to hear it has to be replaced.
www.Metaltech4x4.com 21yrs of building high performance off road parts right here in the USA. Its Bronco time!
Speed Devil

Rank VI

Jun 10, 2022

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully they get your issue sorted out quickly.
CarolinaCactusGreyBabe

Rank VI

Jun 10, 2022

Purchased a 2021 Bronco Black Diamond with a manual transmission. Took delivery in August 2021. Vehicle has 8,900 miles. Started having issues with 3rd gear in middle of May 2022. Dealer could not diagnose issue until July??
Last week vehicle locked up in 2nd gear. Took the vehicle to the dealer, they called yesterday to say that it needs a new transmission. Anyone else having any similar issues?
What were your 3rd gear issues? I’ve got about 5600mi
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top

Rank V

Jun 11, 2022

I don't have the link but someone else reported having noise in 3rd, took it to the dealer, had ford engineering come take a look at it, and in the end they replaced the transmission. I think theirs was a lower mileage than you reported.
2D Base Mansquatch: Ord 11-24-2021; VIN 3-16-2022; Schd 5/9/22; Sticker 5/4/22; Modules 5/10/22;Built 5/11/22;Shipt 5/12/22;Delv 5/24/22

Rank V

Jun 11, 2022

I took delivery Sept. 2021. 3k miles as of today. Zero issues with the MT
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992
mike8675309

Rank 0

Jun 13, 2022

What were your 3rd gear issues? I’ve got about 5600mi
Around 8,000 miles, it became difficult to engage third gear, grinding noise would occur. All other gears were normal. While driving, would skip third gear. Dealer could not get vehicle in to look at. Then, vehicle locked up in 2nd gear. Could not disengage gear. Drove straight to dealer. Mechanic diagnosed and determined that a new transmission was necessary.
tasker, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jun 13, 2022

Around 8,000 miles, it became difficult to engage third gear, grinding noise would occur. All other gears were normal. While driving, would skip third gear. Dealer could not get vehicle in to look at. Then, vehicle locked up in 2nd gear. Could not disengage gear. Drove straight to dealer. Mechanic diagnosed and determined that a new transmission was necessary.
Thanks for sharing. Still shifting smooth with 5600mi.

hope you get a new gearbox asap!
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top

Rank V

Jun 13, 2022

Over 7,600 on my Bronco since February with no tranny issues or any issues for that matter.

Rank V

Jun 13, 2022

I wonder if new gear/trans fluid would have helped or if you were low on same. We'll never know I suppose
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Jun 13, 2022

Nov of '21 here, 14k miles, only grind 3rd when I lift off the clutch before fully shifting (See SN)

Definitely wanna change the fluid, just not sure where to go or how much Redline I need
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jun 13, 2022

More good news....:rolleyes:
Speed Devil

Rank V

Jun 14, 2022

I wonder if new gear/trans fluid would have helped or if you were low on same. We'll never know I suppose
No, that wouldn't have helped. If you have ever seen or taken a manual transmission, you would understand why. They either work quietly and reliably, or they don't. And once they no longer do, that usually is a bad thing. You could lose a gear tooth and have it still work. But for the noise to get worse and progress to it locking up that indicates likely something coming loose, maybe a chip out of gear, or bearing, metal shavings moving around the transmission making things worse, changing tolerances so that eventually, the gears don't go where they should, or a bearing binds in a bore.

Manual transmissions are so simple, and the gears are made from hardened steel that is very strong, but brittle. An issue during manufacturing like a dropped gear or a gear striking something can easily result in a later failure. Automatics have all sorts of failure modes due to simple little o-rings that if not in the right place can kill the whole transmission. Not so for the manual. They are essentially heavy metal and either work well or don't.
2D Base Mansquatch: Ord 11-24-2021; VIN 3-16-2022; Schd 5/9/22; Sticker 5/4/22; Modules 5/10/22;Built 5/11/22;Shipt 5/12/22;Delv 5/24/22
AZshot

Rank VI

Jun 14, 2022

@GMan412 do you know what failed in the transmission? Dealer or tech have any info on the failure? Do you wheel it, or street-driven, what kind of conditions, spirited driving/shifting? There was discussion about the transmission being light-duty for the Bronco application, but it'd be nice to know more about how it was driven, etc., what failed and why.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole

Rank V

Jun 14, 2022

@GMan412 do you know what failed in the transmission? Dealer or tech have any info on the failure? Do you wheel it, or street-driven, what kind of conditions, spirited driving/shifting? There was discussion about the transmission being light-duty for the Bronco application, but it'd be nice to know more about how it was driven, etc., what failed and why.
Only Ford will know, as the dealer will just replace the whole thing and unless the Ford engineer has them take it apart, it'll never be clear what happened other than it failed.

Rank V

Jun 14, 2022

No, that wouldn't have helped. If you have ever seen or taken a manual transmission, you would understand why. They either work quietly and reliably, or they don't. And once they no longer do, that usually is a bad thing. You could lose a gear tooth and have it still work. But for the noise to get worse and progress to it locking up that indicates likely something coming loose, maybe a chip out of gear, or bearing, metal shavings moving around the transmission making things worse, changing tolerances so that eventually, the gears don't go where they should, or a bearing binds in a bore.

Manual transmissions are so simple, and the gears are made from hardened steel that is very strong, but brittle. An issue during manufacturing like a dropped gear or a gear striking something can easily result in a later failure. Automatics have all sorts of failure modes due to simple little o-rings that if not in the right place can kill the whole transmission. Not so for the manual. They are essentially heavy metal and either work well or don't.
I was just saying maybe your gear or trans fluid was low from the factory causing it to grind and mess up the guts prematurely. I remember adding new gear fluid to my '96 stealth TT a few years ago made a big improvement. Hope yours gets fixed soon and yes would be nice to know your driving style since taking delivery and how many miles when it started acting up. Did you offroad a lot? Did you do lots of stop n go city driving? Did you apply any throttle when moving from a stop or just let out the clutch without throttle which can be done on the bronco which I also do now after getting use to it.

Rank V

Jun 14, 2022

I was just saying maybe your gear or trans fluid was low from the factory causing it to grind and mess up the guts prematurely. I remember adding new gear fluid to my '96 stealth TT a few years ago made a big improvement. Hope yours gets fixed soon and yes would be nice to know your driving style since taking delivery and how many miles when it started acting up. Did you offroad a lot? Did you do lots of stop n go city driving? Did you apply any throttle when moving from a stop or just let out the clutch without throttle which can be done on the bronco which I also do now after getting use to it.
I assume you are talking to @GMan412
NT AUTOMOTIVE

Rank 0

Jun 14, 2022

I received my Badlands in May 2022, 3 days after taking possession had to put it in the shop because of the faulty wastegate. It took 7 weeks for Ford to send the part. The day I picked it up from the dealer and was driving away the slave cylinder broke, another faulty part. Burned up my clutch plate. I have driven a manual for over 30 years and have never had these kind of issues before. Really hopeful that is the last faulty part on my Bronco. Two months of no car is ridiculous.
Jboohound, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Jun 14, 2022

I received my Badlands in May 2022, 3 days after taking possession had to put it in the shop because of the faulty wastegate. It took 7 weeks for Ford to send the part. The day I picked it up from the dealer and was driving away the slave cylinder broke, another faulty part. Burned up my clutch plate. I have driven a manual for over 30 years and have never had these kind of issues before. Really hopeful that is the last faulty part on my Bronco. Two months of no car is ridiculous.
That's terrible luck. Yes some 22MY MT models have had wastegate issues. Remember on bronco MT models, unlike all other manual trans vehicles, let the clutch all the way out before pressing gas pedal. It takes some getting use to if you have a lot of experience with MT cars. Its a slow roll off the line but doing so will prolong your clutch life.

Rank III

Jun 14, 2022

Yikes. I ordered a manual BL 2dr as well. Haven't heard hide nor hair from FMC for almost 2 years, so maybe it's a blessing. I finally said "FK IT" and just bought a sweet Tacoma w manual trans too! [wooohoo!] Guy at the dealer in TN said they've taken in 3 Broncos so far in trade. While I think Ford nailed it on the concept and design to bring back the Bronco, all of these massive amounts of problems- and yes, let's be honest, there are TONS of problems- tell me that the Bronco ain't ready for prime time. Ford needs to get their s##t together. If they had done so, they would own this 4WD space and truly be a Jeep killer IMO..
AcesandEights