Manual gearbox Baja mode

Shoresy
Jan 17, 2022

Rank VI

Jan 17, 2022

I’ve found the throttle response in Baja mode lacking. Anyone else?

I can feel the steering get firmer
But if anything throttle is tamer than Normal.

Thought I could get a bit sportier feel by hitting Baja and then switching to 2H, but my personal results are not very good.

No data to share, just observation at this point.
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2022

Rank VI

Jan 20, 2022

I thought this was a good question, but maybe I’m delusional. Or just a horrible driver! Help me validate my driving skills!

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 20, 2022

It's a great question. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to drive a manual with Baja mode for several months, but from what I remember it was responsive. Maybe it's just the turbo lag? I did have to keep a toe on the throttle a bit while braking when driving m/t on the Fun-Haver course in Texas in order to keep it spooled up, but I did that with the autos as well. I remember Drew Peroni talking about the dead pedal feel on one of the recent Bronco Talk podcast episodes, and there was a vendor post recently about a programming tool that can help eliminate that throttle response lag (Sprint Booster, but I see now that you've commented on that thread). Maybe it's worth a try.
NT AUTOMOTIVE, Hobgoblin

Rank V

Jan 20, 2022

I feel there are just not enough manuals out there yet. Plus it’s winter so Baja mode would not be the first choice.

Rank VI

Jan 22, 2022

The first month and 1000 miles were just about pure excitement after waiting 16-months. I’m grateful and happy. After that break-in period, started to push just a little harder, extending shift points to 3krpm and sometimes higher. This meant being more aggressive with the right foot and noticeable lag, in Normal and Baja (switch to 2H). I think Baja2H is the same as Sport, but haven’t seen any specific charts to confirm…

Not quite ready for any potential warranty affecting or pricey mods (panda, Cobb, CAI, exhaust, down pipe, etc).

Today is oil change and SBV3 day, once it warms up and some snow melts. More to come with results!
Crawler Green, NT AUTOMOTIVE

Rank V

Jan 22, 2022

The first month and 1000 miles were just about pure excitement after waiting 16-months. I’m grateful and happy. After that break-in period, started to push just a little harder, extending shift points to 3krpm and sometimes higher. This meant being more aggressive with the right foot and noticeable lag, in Normal and Baja (switch to 2H). I think Baja2H is the same as Sport, but haven’t seen any specific charts to confirm…

Not quite ready for any potential warranty affecting or pricey mods (panda, Cobb, CAI, exhaust, down pipe, etc).

Today is oil change and SBV3 day, once it warms up and some snow melts. More to come with results!
Looking forward to your thoughts on SBV3 @Shoresy . Thanks again for your purchase!!

Also, as not only a vendor but a bronco owner myself, Yes, baja mode is lacking IMO. Since I dont have a sport mode on my badlands from the factory I was hopeful Baja mode would be a more sporty feel and living in the desert with lots of offroad sand/desert running experience knowing what baja should feel like...the bronco is anything but baja in baja mode in large part bc it shifts you into 4wd with my advanced track system!!?? It should stay in 2wd. Doesn't make sense why Ford design it this way. So it goes. I've found my fav setting which is Normal mode in 2wd lol...it feels the most baja. Not joking. Plus goat modes are highly overated IMO.
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992

Rank VI

Jan 28, 2022

It sure seems like Ford didn’t go far enough (for me) with the throttle response in Sport/Baja modes. Having never used a throttle controller, I was cautious. Read a lot, asked questions.

SBV3 is not bolt on HP.
But it is click-in performance!

Installation is a snap, literally 3 clicks and it’s done.

After my usual 5-10 minutes of easy driving in Normal, easily switched the SBV3 to Sport3 at a stoplight. Immediately noticed the difference, “ alright, this is pretty nice.” Progressed to S5, then on to Race5 and Race9. It’s very responsive at R9, but not unstable or twitchy. Just felt, well… faster!

I really enjoy the ability to easily switch modes depending on the situation and my motivations at the time!

Will probably run in S5 most of the time, seems like a good balance (at least for now!)

It does seem to help, at least a little, with rev hang. Don’t forget to set the small auto/manual select on the side of controller. I did at first and rev hang seemed worse, once I correctly set to MT things improved.

Haven’t tried the pedal lock mode yet! Pretty slick theft deterrent!
Deano Bronc, Hobgoblin

Rank V

Jan 28, 2022

It sure seems like Ford didn’t go far enough (for me) with the throttle response in Sport/Baja modes. Having never used a throttle controller, I was cautious. Read a lot, asked questions.

SBV3 is not bolt on HP.
But it is click-in performance!

Installation is a snap, literally 3 clicks and it’s done.

After my usual 5-10 minutes of easy driving in Normal, easily switched the SBV3 to Sport3 at a stoplight. Immediately noticed the difference, “ alright, this is pretty nice.” Progressed to S5, then on to Race5 and Race9. It’s very responsive at R9, but not unstable or twitchy. Just felt, well… faster!

I really enjoy the ability to easily switch modes depending on the situation and my motivations at the time!

Will probably run in S5 most of the time, seems like a good balance (at least for now!)

It does seem to help, at least a little, with rev hang. Don’t forget to set the small auto/manual select on the side of controller. I did at first and rev hang seemed worse, once I correctly set to MT things improved.

Haven’t tried the pedal lock mode yet! Pretty slick theft deterrent!
Thanks @Shoresy !! :) Link to purchase SBV3 below OR in our original SBV3 thread. Have a great day everyone!!

https://ntautomotive.thrivecart.com/sprint-booster-v3-ford-bronco-and-sport/
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992