Touring the Legendary Baja with a Baja Legend

Feb 27, 2024

We are so excited about the chance to off-road in Baja

During our recent trip with Bronco Nation to King of the Hammers in Johnson Valley, California, my husband had the opportunity to work with the legendary Curt Le Duc, acting as a course spotter for Curt as he took various media and influencers on hot laps in the Bronco DR. Curt, who we are finding out, is somewhat of a “character”, was telling stories about trips to the Baja and that their trip, happening in March, might have an opening for another couple. So, next thing you know, we are signed up and will be heading to the border crossing very soon.

Baja is such an epic destination, immediately bringing up thoughts of adventure, with maybe a dash of danger thrown in, that one can’t help being excited about an opportunity to go with someone who has traveled and raced there dozens of times. We received a basic itinerary, along with some recommended packing items, and we are currently prepping our 2023 Bronco Badlands to make the journey with us.

Some Baja history in our family

One Bronco that won’t be making this trip, but has been to Baja twice before, is my husband Brian’s 1966 Bronco. That Bronco belonged to Brian’s grandparents (his grandmother’s), and shortly after purchasing it new from a dealership in New Mexico, it made its way south of the border, all the way to the end of Baja, not once, but twice. Looking at how small that Bronco is, makes me respect what that trip must’ve looked like in the 60’s, and left me secretly relieved that it’s not us making a reunion visit in it this year.

Is driving across the border safe?

Something that I realized shortly after announcing to friends and family that we were headed to Baja, was that not everyone was as excited about it as we were. The unsecured border situation is a daily topic of conversation. One of the things we are interested in seeing and learning more about, is the level of safety of traveling in Baja, and ways to mitigate problems. Our lives have not been lived by avoiding dangerous experiences and we had discussed that our first trip to Baja should be in the company of a group with an experienced leader, who not only knows the route but has recently performed a pre-run.

Finding the Baja magic

Curt LeDuc has been taking trips into Baja for racing and pleasure for several years,  and I chatted with him briefly about his thoughts on this trip. He said that he purposely keeps itineraries generic so he can offer experiences that not only fit with the group dynamics, but in this Google world, keeps people from losing the magic of Baja by over-researching every stop. At some point, different for everyone, people will find that special moment, and the element of surprise (think Christmas morning) is an important aspect of that. That Christmas morning feeling continues to build and we are beyond thrilled about this opportunity.

Camping with Whales is a unique opportunity

One part of the trip that Curt has not kept secret is the whale watching camp. We will spend a couple of nights at a spot called Whale Magic, near Guerrero Negro, staying right on the beach, close enough to a lagoon that we can both see and hear the whales from the camp. But, the best part is, we will have daily tours with naturalists, out in small boats, visiting the up to 2000 gray whales that breed and give birth there each winter. The whales actually approach the boats, often bringing their babies with them, and frequently allow themselves to be touched, often making direct eye contact with you. Curt said it is one of the most incredible experiences he's had, and it’s something I’m really looking forward to.

Besides the whale experience, we will be traveling to both the Pacific and Sea of Cortez side, seeing beaches, cattle ranches,  and vineyards, much of it reached by dirt and rock trails, so the off-roading should be amazing as well. It will be our goal to check in daily with the Bronco Nation family, sharing brief updates and photos, and then sharing a more comprehensive story once we get back. I hope you’re able to follow along on our journey.

Trying to get ourselves and the Bronco ready

In the meantime, we are making some nice upgrades to our Bronco, including off-road lighting, some additional skid protection, and much more. I hope to share some of those stories soon, including step by step instructions, so you can feel confident adding items like these to your Bronco as well. We’re also making a comprehensive packing list, because, well, there’s not a ton of space in a two door, and everything counts when you’re leaving the country for 8 days. So, stay tuned for more on that.

Have you visited Baja or hope to visit in your Bronco? Share in the comments if you have questions or something you’d recommend for us.

Comments